Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

One of the worst I saw this year imho. The overwhelming SUFFERING Innaritu wants for Leo and the AWE he wants the audience to have is laughable. Everything's for show, every shot is intended to call attention to itself and he's got no story or character to back it up. Worthless garbage. And fwiw Birdman made my top 10 last year. 

So thumbs up or thumbs down?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

One of the worst I saw this year imho. The overwhelming SUFFERING Innaritu wants for Leo and the AWE he wants the audience to have is laughable. Everything's for show, every shot is intended to call attention to itself and he's got no story or character to back it up. Worthless garbage. And fwiw Birdman made my top 10 last year. 

Hah! Well, I liked it... mainly because I like survival stories, revenge stories, nature cinematography, and Tom Hardy. But yeah, it's basically just a straight-up genre revenge piece, although Inarritu even fumbles that conclusion (not to mention it's waaaaay too long for that sort of thing). I agree with your general sentiment, even though I don't embrace it as fully. (And BIRDMAN didn't make my top 10 last year). :P 

How about that last shot, Gopher? Huh?

:rofl: 

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Gopher, I fucking love you. I feel our top tens of last year and this year are so in line too! :D

• Like 1

It totally could've worked with a more compact structure but it needed a way different tone. I would've been fine with a movie that gets us kind of excited about Glass surviving all of this and is aware of how unbrelievable it appears onscreen but Innarritu gets no joy out of the hunt for the kill. Malick was so not the route to take on this one. Honestly felt like a Malick/Herzog parody.

I have no idea what the masses will think - it's long, boring, only has three real sequences of action including the bear and is so self-grandulizing think even Joe Popcorn will catch a whiff of Leo's desperation. Gonna be embarassing when (no less than two years after Wolf) he wins an Oscar for vomiting horse intestine.

Spoiler

HOOOOOLY MOTHER OF GOOOOOD THAT LAST SHOT AHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gopher said:

So what you're saying is I will love it.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

So what you're saying is I will love it.

If you liked The Grey, I'm pretty sure you'll like this movie as well. This is just The Grey on steroids when it comes to brutality.