Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

14 minutes ago, TStechnij said:

@Obi-Wan Telemachos I don't really ever like Hardy and to me they asked him to indulge in his worst tendencies here. I'm kind of surprised he is so divisive, but it is going to land him one of my least favorite Oscar nominations. 

The end is pretty bad, more faux Malick that doesn't resonate. I don't think it is that open ended though. 

Well, if you don't like Hardy this won't be the movie to convince you otherwise. :lol:

You're right, it's not very open-ended.

I think it's an awful case of Inarritu trying to have his cake and eat it too. Leo's realization and choice not to avenge himself comes so ridiculously late it's basically beside the point -- he's essentially already killed Hardy at that point. And to then basically hand him off to the Pawnee to finish the job is just terrible. Assuming Inarritu wanted to go for a "let nature deal with him as it chooses" ending, Leo needed to let Hardy go way earlier, and certainly not after spotting the Native Americans just hanging out a couple dozen yards away down the river. And the last shot is literally laughable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Well, if you don't like Hardy this won't be the movie to convince you otherwise. :lol:

You're right, it's not very open-ended.

Hidden Content

Yup. He wanted to provide some thematic material and still direct his big duel. That's how I felt about the whole entire movie though.

I love arthouse, pensive, longing films, but this just felt so indulgent. 

Does anyone think this is going to make money? It is probably going to be one of the biggest flops of the year. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TStechnij said:

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Its one of the best looking films you will EVER see, the cinematogrophy is awesome and every single scene looks great.

The film itself is good but its very slow and actually a very simple story at heart, although done in a more arthouse style.

It has the usual ambigous ending you get in these kind of arty films.

Very good film overall but i'm surprised they spent 135mil on this, its hardly mass market.

I just finished watching it. Didn't find it slow at all. Loved it. It is basically a man vs nature/man vs wild/survival of fittest and revenge story. 

All those metaphysical elements were kinda unnecessary though. 

But yeah...135 million is too much. I guess if you insist of shooting the movie only when natural light is available and the conditions are right then you are bound to spend excess money on crew + catering 

Edited by marveldcfox

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Have you got a 100inch tv or something?, the image quality was great and DVD quality. You did download the 3gb version right?.

No I only downloaded the Carol screener which had terrible quality. Maybe the transfer wasn't good.

About the movies prospects i think it will easily go over fantastic four WW. It has the premise/good trailers/leo combo to maybe have a 25-30m opening and then leg its way to 80-100M. Also OS it is gonna go easily over 100M. The only Leo movies that didn't make at least 100M OS since Titanic were too US centric (J.Edgar,Body of Lies) or too small(RevRoad, Celebrity) and Revenant is neither of those things.

Doy guys think it wont even open to 25M+ or that it will and then drop like a rock despite oscar buzz?

I think it can make up to 100M, Leo is a very solid, consistent box office draw, and can make movies that'd otherwise be fairly niche, bring them up to be big hits. It's got a good level of awareness. Though at 100M domestic it still may not be making money if OS isn't great.

On the other hand, I would be totally unsurprised if it completely bombed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

This isn't sexy, awesome fun Leo, though. This is snoticle, bearded, spittle-spewing, mangled Leo.

Every time the camera is on him, his eyes are filled with :ohmyzod:

(Literally. Look closely and you can see little Zods screaming away inside.)

I know, but I've seen a ton of discussion and buzz on social media simply because it's Leo Dicaprio, regardless of the fact that he clearly is not playing his usual suave self and that he looks like he's been put through a blender for a few minutes.

• Like 1

This is Leo's performance.

Speaks grittily in Pawnee

Speaks grittily in English

YELLS IN PAWNEE

YELLS IN ENGLISH

then

HHHGGGGNNNNNRRRRHHHHHHH

hgggnnnrrrnahhhrnrrrr

GRRPPAAAARRRRRHhhHHHHHHHUEEAAAA

*gasps for breath*

TUAHNNAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHH