Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Egos are a lot more entertaining when they're backed up by results

That's the issue I'm having. I hate when people have massive egos like this. Like sure you can certainly appreciate your work, but this guy is just being consumed. Like, seriously, they could make a movie based off him.

At the same time, I want the Revenant to be awesome.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Egos are a lot more entertaining when they're backed up by results

That's the issue I'm having. I hate when people have massive egos like this. Like sure you can certainly appreciate your work, but this guy is just being consumed. Like, seriously, they could make a movie based off him.

At the same time, I want the Revenant to be awesome.

Well, that was kind of my point. It appears The Revenant has delivered, and he has justification for being self absorbed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, that was kind of my point. It appears The Revenant has delivered, and he has justification for being self absorbed

That's debatable but what isn't is how he he's so obnoxiously pretentious even when he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

And while Iñárritu welcomes all comments about his film, just don't call "The Revenant" a western. “I don’t consider [my] film a Western,” he explained. “Western is in a way a genre, and the problem with genres is that it comes from the word ‘generic’, and I feel that this film is very far from generic.”

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, that was kind of my point. It appears The Revenant has delivered

It doesn't really, though -- certainly not on the levels he's aspiring to.

On the other hand, he's welcome to wear himself out patting himself (and Lubezski) on the back for some amazing technical stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

On the other hand, he's welcome to wear himself out patting himself (and Lubezski) on the back for some amazing technical stuff.

I wonder if Lubezski is thinking to himself while shooting these things, "You're full of shit, man. But I'm going to make it the best looking shit ever."

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Apparently a lot of people I know have already seen the leaked DVD screener and they all seem to enjoy it.

Im just curious if it will be too violent and gritty for audiences. There seems to be a lot of interest in Revenant (people keep asking me when it comes out) but I wonder if legs will be cut short. Thoughts Tele?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:lol:

He's so far up his own ass he'd need a search party to help find his way out.  

You know on one hand I agree it's a super pompous and goofy thing to say, but on the other hand screen legend Sean Penn called it a masterpiece and an experience similar to Apocalypse Now. So who knows, maybe it is temple-worthy...

Either way, I couldn't be any more excited to see it. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

“I don’t consider [my] film a Western,” he explained. “Western is in a way a genre, and the problem with genres is that it comes from the word ‘generic’, and I feel that this film is very far from generic.”

:lol:

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Apparently a lot of people I know have already seen the leaked DVD screener and they all seem to enjoy it.

Im just curious if it will be too violent and gritty for audiences. There seems to be a lot of interest in Revenant (people keep asking me when it comes out) but I wonder if legs will be cut short. Thoughts Tele?

Haven't seen it yet but I can't imagine why anyone would be shocked by its violence. The trailers haven't indicated it's a happy movie

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't think it'll be appealing to a wide audience. There's no single reason why, but:

• it's long, and slow in parts
  • it's gruesome at times
  • there's violence against animals
  • it's not very upbeat

37 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

You know on one hand I agree it's a super pompous and goofy thing to say, but on the other hand screen legend Sean Penn called it a masterpiece and an experience similar to Apocalypse Now. So who knows, maybe it is temple-worthy...

Either way, I couldn't be any more excited to see it. :)

On the surface, absolutely. It's a vivid experience that puts you right in the middle of the events to experience them along with the characters.

There's just nothing under the surface, despite a lot of effort to have something there.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think it'll be appealing to a wide audience. There's no single reason why, but:

• it's long, and slow in parts
  • it's gruesome at times
  • there's violence against animals
  • it's not very upbeat

On the surface, absolutely. It's a vivid experience that puts you right in the middle of the events to experience them along with the characters.

There's just nothing under the surface, despite a lot of effort to have something there.

You just described how I feel about Birdman. I guess this guy's films just aren't for me. His pretentiousness crosses over into his films too much and pollutes his ability to make something that feels genuine. 

• Like 2

How is the film not a Western genre type of film.

Instead of Arizona its in Wyoming, still the great American West

Full of rough and tough violent men, female characters are irrelevant. 

Mountain Men and Fur Traders and Native Indians

Guy set upon Revenge burning the world to get it if he must. 

Director is being silly. 

Sorry but this is making money, it will do fine at the box office. Leo is a consistently successful box office draw, it's had a big marketing budget and it has the look and effects of something that should be on the big screen.

I've been saying this for a while but we just put our tickets on sale (releases here on 15th) and we've sold out a showing already. It is selling out screenings in nearby cinemas as well. Maybe it won't turn a profit but it's not going to be some huge bomb like certain people seem to think.

• Like 3