EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Should have made a Woody film tbh.

When the first movie came out and I watched it as a kid, I actually really really disliked Buzz Lightyear. I never warmed to him ever. Just don't like him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Honestly, TGM could actually win the Sunday if these numbers pan out. 

Me too. It's going to be the "Father's Day" movie of the year.

I mean, Lightyear will be the one for father's with young kids though.

No one is going to take there 4 year old to Top Gun lol

Edited by motionpic05

Soul, Luca and Turning Red would’ve all been bigger hits, in the no Covid timeline.

Soul - 105m/320m

Luca - 60m/250m

Turning Red - 65m/210m

Lightyear - 50m/160m

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I'm just interested in seeing how the whole weekend plays out and how much effect Juneteenth will have. I expect the Juneteenth effect will be lower than any other Holiday weekend.

The US made it a Holiday last year, and as of this weekend only 17 states have made it a State Paid holiday, Based on some surveys the majority of private companies have not provided it as a day off to their employees. It's sort of a half Holiday right now.

Only Federal employees definitely have the 20th off. A little over 40% of state employees have it as a paid holiday and less than 1/2 of private employees.

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

if a movie does poorly and everyone correctly notices that the movie is doing poorly, maybe the movie is just doing poorly? the preview number could’ve been 2M and you’d still find a way to spin it as a perfectly fine number it’s driven by walk ups don’t worry guys, 60M is still within reach

TOG we must be encourage positivity at all costs even if reality and logic disagree.

That Lightyear number is very bad, period. 

Sure, maybe ( just maybe ) things happen and the movie easily makes 100 million for its opening day, so we all can say "BOT overreacting " again. However, that preview is bad. That's all it needs to be said.

• Like 3

at least one buzz is thriving. buzzfeed. On being a tease. Drop the video!

My niece and I are in the IMAX theater for Buzz right now. Mostly families, and then there are 2 twenty something’s next to us. We’re about half full I think. Today is the first day kids don’t have school. 

let’s see how this goes. 

• Like 3

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Flies By $800M Worldwide; Becomes Tom Cruise’s Biggest Movie Ever

Refresh for latest…: Paramount/Skydance’s Top Gun: Maverick has buzzed yet another box office milestone, this time flying past $800M globally. The worldwide cume through Thursday is $806.4M, including $422.2M domestic and $384.2M from the international box office

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Flies By $800M Worldwide; Becomes Tom Cruise’s Biggest Movie Ever

With Lightyears weak OS numbers, the #1 movie across most OS markets will be a very close race between Lightyear, Dominion and Top Gun this weekend.

Also a more general question for people who know more about this: As it stands right now, Lightyear and Dominion will share IMAX/PLF screens this weekend, but Lightyear will take all of them next weekend. But if Lightyear seriously underperformans this weekend (aka beeing on par or only slightly above Dominion), are theaters still obligated to give every PLF screen to Lightyear next weekend or is there some kind of wiggle room to give at least a few screens back to Top Gun/Dominion?

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

At best this is getting low 60s, and with audience WOM already looking bad (sub-90 on RT's Verified Aud score), who knows if that's possible. How is earth is this number excusable?

I want to push back on this. If you look systematically at largest gaps between verified Audience scores and cinemascore, the biggest errors are on kids movies which is obviously due to composition effects (10 year olds aren't rating films on these websites).

Only looking at 74 films with a B cinemascore or higher, kids movies rank 2 (Addams Family), 5 (Space Jam 2), 6 (Lion King), 7 (Addams Family 2), 8 (Boss Baby 2) and 20th (Aladdin).

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Also a more general question for people who know more about this: As it stands right now, Lightyear and Dominion will share IMAX/PLF screens this weekend, but Lightyear will take all of them next weekend. But if Lightyear seriously underperformans this weekend (aka beeing on par or only slightly above Dominion), are theaters still obligated to give every PLF screen to Lightyear next weekend or is there some kind of wiggle room to give at least a few screens back to Top Gun/Dominion?

Give them back to Top Gun, as top gun will be the biggest movie next weekend.

The previews are bad, there's literally no way to spin that positively.

If it was THU alone, then yeah would be acceptable, but including WED? That's shitty at very least. 

Yeah, maybe walkups will be really good and OW will be good too, but the walkups on Thursday doesn't look promising at all. 

And honestly it's very hard to find a reason, Pixar brand is still very strong, the movie didn't get bad reception even if it's low tier for the studio, marketing has been decent as well. 

I think maybe the market just isn't ready yet to receive too many big movies at once. Some movies could give the false impression that we're close to normal but it's not the case, every week we have 1 or 2 movies doing good business and everything else doing poorly. 

So, with high ticket prices, Top Gun and Dominion both spectacle movies still doing strong business, and Thor coming super soon, maybe the market just isn't in a sustainable environment enough yet to sustain another big movie along with many others and people just decided that this one can wait until it's available elsewhere. 

Animations seems to be struggling as well to come back, the biggest one did only 400M during holidays and was a sequel. Lightyear could also be showing families are still reluctant to go in theaters, but let's see, if Minions follow this path, then i think we got a case here.

• Like 1