EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

But one thing is for sure, if a quick same sex kiss on LY is already generating tons of hateful posts on social media and review bombs, just wait until a movie with an openly gay kid drop, it will face an gigantic backlash and sadly, this is never good.

What do you mean by kid (age-wise)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

People are really this petty? I'm not even interested in the movie but damn. Review bombing over a same sex relationship, yikes.

Welcome to the world of review-bombing.

You dont need to go gay for this master strategy to happen. All you need is probably something that makes some people unhappy. The genius effect with this is, that it is incredibly easy to make something that makes some people unhappy. As was proven numerous times, having a female protagonist can make some people unhappy. Scientists are still unsure why that is, but in the meantime, having a movie with a big fanbase doing things that does not align 100% to what some fans wanted out of the movie can make those fans - who are indeed people - unhappy.

Studys have found that it is much harder and requires a lot more raw brain power to articulate criticisms that one may have over a movie into coherent arguments and that it is much easier to just say "Fuck Movie" and review-bomb it. This heroic undertaking is even easier when one doesnt even see the movie in question in the first place and decides beforehand to say "Fuck Movie".

The world of review-bombing is vast, full of negative surprises and importantly, ever expanding. Welcome.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M37 said:

There is a distinction between overreacting to a single data point in isolation, and connecting several data points to form reasonable (if not speculative) conclusions 

Morbuis’s OW wasn’t an indication of anything other than it was a bad movie no one cared about, and suggesting otherwise was an overreaction. But LY appearing to head to a significant underperformance in the context of how Disney has handled their Pixar/animated movies & Disney+ and larger concerns about a shrinking theatrical audience, especially among families, is not. No different than observing how adult dramas have largely struggled, and what that says about their potential future in the theatrical vs streaming market 

I would differentiate Disney animated vs animated as a whole...while Disney/Pixar has been the heavyweight in the area the last couple decades, they have also been the ones who have been shooting themselves in the foot multiple different ways under Chapek.

Animated as a whole has gotten their movie budgets under control.  Animated as a whole does not have to worry about spectacular streaming options that were bought just to see animated movies.  Animated as a whole doesn't have Chapek and all his recent missteps and bad decisions.

So, animated as a whole will do just fine and will continue to release in theaters.  They just won't finish with $500M DOM totals, so they can't start with $200M DOM budgets...

That said, Minions will be fine and will likely win the animated summer, (but I'll eat my shirt if Paws of Fury makes over $100M DOM...that will mean my kids have gotten too old for me to predict this stuff)...

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, nobody is getting yelled at or called hysterical for pointing out something like that.  You will get called hysterical if you extrapolate from that number that Disney will abandon theatrical, inflation has now devastated the box office, we have to look at the rest of the year different, budgets will be completely slashed and streaming is once again king.  

I hope that clears that up for the people with the terrible reading comprehension.  

Nevermind, not even worth it.

Edited by Cmasterclay

This is probably going to be seen as “deflection” on this forum but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway because someone needs to:

I think the real anti-conservative elephant in the room here isn’t a split-second same sex kiss. It’s the replacement of Tim Allen.

Say what you want, but Tim Allen has represented Buzz for a quarter-century and by taking him out of the equation from a film/universe that’s already significantly different from the Toy Story franchise, there is very little nostalgic value left.

Do I think the same-sex kiss is having some impact? Of course. But if everything is the same except they keep the iconic voice as the main character, this likely performs a lot better. Not as well as TS3/TS4, but better.

Again, just putting it out there. I don’t think it’s a stretch/controversial to say the protagonist’s portrayer has a much bigger impact on a film’s performance than one second.

• Like 5

I swear to God, some of you just want to fight with each other. 🙄

Anyway:

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

I have never really understood the confusion about this film's premise. It always seemed very simple to me. 

It is simple:

Speaking of Merch. 

I have zero idea why we are freaking out over Lightyear under performing at the box office, because I don’t think Disney is going to give a hoot once they see all of the Sox merchandise numbers coming in. 

There was one thing that I immediately was like “I need that now”. (Which of course is the one thing they don’t have 🤪)

As for the flick itself. 

It’s solid. Way way better than Luca and Onward, not as good as Soul, and Turning Red was just a whole other league. 

A Lot of its goodwill from me comes from, no joke, this is literally Steve Rogers in space. 
Or, well, more the Steve Rogers as if written by a Tony Fan that is only getting the board stroke negative aspects of him instead of my nuanced, sensitive boy. 

There were moments that I laughed at the out loud cause it was just shameless. But, hey. I **love** Alternate Universes and Fan Fiction, so sign me up.

The Hawthorne Family is the real heroes here. Uza and Keke are just great. Taika is just enough Taika to get the humor, not enough for be distracting. So good there. 

And best of all!! The film finally got us our Puppy Interview. Which still is not up. God damn it, Buzzfeed. LFG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

This is probably going to be seen as “deflection” on this forum but I’ll go ahead and say it anyway because someone needs to:

I think the real anti-conservative elephant in the room here isn’t a split-second same sex kiss. It’s the replacement of Tim Allen.

Say what you want, but Tim Allen has represented Buzz for a quarter-century and by taking him out of the equation from a film/universe that’s already significantly different from the Toy Story franchise, there is very little nostalgic value left.

Do I think the same-sex kiss is having some impact? Of course. But if everything is the same except they keep the iconic voice as the main character, this likely performs a lot better. Not as well as TS3/TS4, but better.

Again, just putting it out there. I don’t think it’s a stretch/controversial to say the protagonist’s portrayer has a much bigger impact on a film’s performance than one second.

happened all around the world

Tim Allen's latam voice actor was amazing, and he also got replaced by the guy who does Chris Evans

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Looking like $14m-$15m on Friday for JWD.  

On the low end, this would still mean a bit higher percentage-jump than Fallen Kingdom. Although that also played 1 week later in June, so that evens it out a bit.

Still, doesnt look too bad and would probably secure 50M+.

I hope ofc it goes a bit higher.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol.  I caught it before the edit.  

I just think we should all try to treat each other with a bit more respect in how we talk to each other around here, and sometimes that includes me.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cap said:

I swear to God, some of you just want to fight with each other. 🙄

Anyway:

It is simple:

whats the explanation for a "real guy" from the 1990's having access to what seems like tech from the future?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Shouldn't Movies actually get a boost in these economic times since all other live entertainment options are much more expensive and people still do want to get out of the house

Not if the movies aren't worthy to audiences. Maybe they're back in the habit of casual moviegoing but that could just mean repeat business on Top Gun than seeing something like Lightyear

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

On the low end, this would still mean a bit higher percentage-jump than Fallen Kingdom. Although that also played 1 week later in June, so that evens it out a bit.

Still, doesnt look too bad and would probably secure 50M+.

I hope ofc it goes a bit higher.

With Fathers Day, is $60 million on the table?

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Can we just jump to next summer?

Barbie. Oppenheimer. Guardians 3. Fast X. Spiderverse. The Fl*sh. Indy 5. Mission Impossible. 

Fast X is dead. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Not if the movies aren't worthy to audiences. Maybe they're back in the habit of casual moviegoing but that could just mean repeat business on Top Gun than seeing something like Lightyear

Didn't something similar happen with Aladdin. Where other movies that opened up that summer just weren't that appealing and people kept watching Aladdin over and over again.