EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

42 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, I'm waiting for a single person to explain how this makes long term logical sense that because LY opens to $50m+ that suddenly Disney sees that and decides to abandon theatrical and send animation straight to Disney+.  "Hey, we get 60% of this theatrical money to the tune of maybe $400m or $500m grosses, but we are just going to abandon that money forever going forward to...... spite ourselves?"

The reason they sent animation to Disney+ is a combo of covid and hoping it would boost the stock price and get them subscribers, and neither of those things panned out for them.  Chapek is a guy, he isn't Disney, and he is a guy that is 8 months from the potential end of his career at Disney and doesn't have an extension.  THAT is the bigger story here.  

My main fear is basically Chapek and the other dude who gets to decide on what’s theatrical and once not use pandemic habits as it excuse. Note: I don’t think theatrical animation going to streaming is good (I’m a huge fan, and 2023 looks like a major rebound year. The decision like you said is highly shortsighted and doomed to backfire both creatively and financially) and Lightyear’s underperformance didn’t come from families not showing up but the movie looked really unappealing.

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Children’s entertainment for the past decade have been featuring same sex relationships, but people are just now raising a fit over it? Did we go back 20 years or something? 

It's a sad case of fascism and bigotry being on the rise recently over the past few years. A lot of far-right leaders are now in major positions of power, and that has bolstered a lot of these wretched opinions into the mainstream. Social media platforms make way too much profit off these horrible people, so it makes this propaganda spread even further. Capitalism is killing us faster than the virus will and what not.

Also doesn't help that kids shows on Disney Channel or Cartoon Network don't really get a lot of attention in the entertainment press and media compared to kids movies. So you got a big Pixar movie that these grifters can use to manipulate people via "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" methods. And Disney's arguably profiting off all this, because they believe this stuff will bolster people to check out the movie. They do the bare minimum of representation and then reap in the rewards. You have to see the movie, or else the bigots win. Just a terrible, terrible cycle.

• Like 4

There is some belief that Disney+ continue to generate phenomenon as evidenced by Encanto, but tbh, I just don't see and feel Encanto as massive phenomenon especially in overseas market.  

Also strangely, unlike Frozen where the phenomenon not only cover Let it go, but also spill over to almost the entire characters list like Anna & Elsa and Olaf, the phenomenon even revitalize the public interest in Disney princess lineup. I see none of those happened to Encanto, the phenomenon feel focus on We don't want to talk about Bruno. 

The same I can compare with Zootopia, the phenomenon was very clear and cover almost every aspect of the film.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I saw a kid watching Luca on his mother’s iPhone in Nandos a couple of months back. Depressing af. That is the kind of image that will ultimately have creatives jumping ship. 

These kinds of "OMG THESE KIDS ARE DOOMED" posts always grind my gears. Who cares if that's how a kid watches something? Do you think that's the only way they ever watch movies? I watched movies on a tiny screen during car drives. I turned out just fine and the movie industry didn't collapse onto itself. The way people watch movies will always change, and it's not something to get super upset about.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Aladdin day 21 was $3,058,058  and it pulled 35.58x from that point forward. If TG2 follows the same it will finish with 644m DOM

644M? That would be an acceptable end number. It mustnt go too much higher though.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Can we just jump to next summer?

Barbie. Oppenheimer. Guardians 3. Fast X. Spiderverse. The Fl*sh. Indy 5. Mission Impossible. 

Nope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

That's a bad number, but just so I don't get yelled at and called hysterical for pointing out this very basic and objective fact, I'll put a positive spin on it. That's a good number for a movie that seemed to have no reason whatsoever to exist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

lol don't bring up the imdb reviews it was just getting calm in here.

I personally don't think this is an underperformance at all, the idea for the movie imo isn't that good. Buzz was the worst character in the first movies, and you're doing a confusing origin story and kind of makes no sense. Its a spinoff through and through.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's a bad number, but just so I don't get yelled at and called hysterical for pointing out this very basic and objective fact, I'll put a positive spin on it. That's a good number for a movie that seemed to have no reason whatsoever to exist.

Again, nobody is getting yelled at or called hysterical for pointing out something like that.  You will get called hysterical if you extrapolate from that number that Disney will abandon theatrical, inflation has now devastated the box office, we have to look at the rest of the year different, budgets will be completely slashed and streaming is once again king.  

I hope that clears that up for the people with the terrible reading comprehension.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1