EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Also a more general question for people who know more about this: As it stands right now, Lightyear and Dominion will share IMAX/PLF screens this weekend, but Lightyear will take all of them next weekend. But if Lightyear seriously underperformans this weekend (aka beeing on par or only slightly above Dominion), are theaters still obligated to give every PLF screen to Lightyear next weekend or is there some kind of wiggle room to give at least a few screens back to Top Gun/Dominion?

I said this in another thread, but there is no IMAX exclusive contract for next weekend, including for LY. I'm expecting there to be splits in some form, with JWD, TGM, Elvis and LY all having at least some shows. Give where all these films are looking to wind up for this and next weekend, and their respective demand for PLF, might see a lot of TGM and JWD only splits, with LY and Elvis relegated to select markets or where there are multiple PLF screens to use

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Also a more general question for people who know more about this: As it stands right now, Lightyear and Dominion will share IMAX/PLF screens this weekend, but Lightyear will take all of them next weekend. But if Lightyear seriously underperformans this weekend (aka beeing on par or only slightly above Dominion), are theaters still obligated to give every PLF screen to Lightyear next weekend or is there some kind of wiggle room to give at least a few screens back to Top Gun/Dominion?

If numbers are low enough, then contracts can be broken and a new movie will take place. Ninja Turtles 2 wasn't supposed to come out in IMAX, but after Alice Through the Looking Glass bombed hardcore, it was given a last-minute conversion, because it was clear to IMAX this would make more money.

However, it's unlikely they will give this back to Top Gun or Dominion. Unless it's a super dead weekend like Labor Day or the week after Thanksgiving or something, movies very rarely return back to IMAX. Even in those times it makes more sense to just play what's already playing or just pick a new movie out that weekend like Elvis. The best chance Top Gun or Dominion comes back to IMAX or any other PLFs is probably the weekend of August 26, but it's possible that something like Beast will play there instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Could the fact that Tim Allen isn't Buzz Light year anymore have something to do with this number? I've never been into these movies(saw the TS1 once when I was a kid) but even I know from pop culture that Tim Allen is kinda synonymous with Buzz Lightyear and Tom Hanks as Woody.  It seems like it would be like making a Shrek movie without Mike Myers or Cameron Diaz.

• Like 3

Turning Red would’ve made more money on this weekend than Lightyear; an original Pixar movie with those reviews would inherently appeal more to people without families AND to discerning family audiences. It also would target more obviously underserved demos this summer than Lightyear, a movie about a superhero with a flaw of being too much of a maverick, does.

classic Chapek 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Eric Lightyear said:

At best this is getting low 60s, and with audience WOM already looking bad (sub-90 on RT's Verified Aud score), who knows if that's possible. How is earth is this number excusable?

All that is somewhat valid, but you and others are delcaring the end of animation from Disney/Pixar going theatrical, that suddenly this number could mean the entire year of box office analysis needs to change, and about a half dozen complete overreactions.  

BOT does this all the time, so it's pretty normal at this point.  Embarassing, but normal.  

Sort of the same way that you thought because Delta and Omicron that everything was moving en masse and theatrical was fucked and streaming was going to be the king going forward.  

How did all that work out?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

Mickey's Law this weekend

1e0ef6abda0acbf96f80a39207f0e25f.jpg

Mickey's Law doesn't impact Disney movies at all. Mickey's Law only applies to non-Disney movies. This means that when Lightyear or A Wrinkle in Time or whatever bombs, it was on its own accords, not because of the Law.

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Turning Red would’ve made more money on this weekend than Lightyear; an original Pixar movie with those reviews would inherently appeal more to people without families AND to discerning family audiences. It also would target more obviously underserved demos this summer than Lightyear, a movie about a superhero with a flaw of being too much of a maverick, does.

classic Chapek 

They had an Inside Out on their hands and they ruined it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

If numbers are low enough, then contracts can be broken and a new movie will take place. Ninja Turtles 2 wasn't supposed to come out in IMAX, but after Alice Through the Looking Glass bombed hardcore, it was given a last-minute conversion, because it was clear to IMAX this would make more money.

However, it's unlikely they will give this back to Top Gun or Dominion. Unless it's a super dead weekend like Labor Day or the week after Thanksgiving or something, movies very rarely return back to IMAX. Even in those times it makes more sense to just play what's already playing or just pick a new movie out that weekend like Elvis. The best chance Top Gun or Dominion comes back to IMAX or any other PLFs is probably the weekend of August 26, but it's possible that something like Beast will play there instead.

That's so weird coming from the country with almost half of the world's IMAXs. Pretty sure JWD and TGM is splitting IMAX in Asia starting this weekend. Markets I can confirm are Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia. Heard somewhere it's everywhere in the region though I can't confirm. 

Edited by Hilpkioy

56 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

if a movie does poorly and everyone correctly notices that the movie is doing poorly, maybe the movie is just doing poorly? the preview number could’ve been 2M and you’d still find a way to spin it as a perfectly fine number it’s driven by walk ups don’t worry guys, 60M is still within reach

Noticing a movie is doing poorly is fine.  To start making wide sweeping declarations based on a Thursday preview number is classic BOT overreaction.  

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

All that is somewhat valid, but you and others are delcaring the end of animation from Disney/Pixar going theatrical, that suddenly this number could mean the entire year of box office analysis needs to change, and about a half dozen complete overreactions.  

BOT does this all the time, so it's pretty normal at this point.  Embarassing, but normal.  

Sort of the same way that you thought because Delta and Omicron that everything was moving en masse and theatrical was fucked and streaming was going to be the king going forward.  

How did all that work out?  

You're right. I was wrong there. But that's because they were speculation. They were predictions. They were how I personally felt would happen. Was I wrong? Yes. But everybody is wrong sometimes. Nobody has a flawless track record here. This is a discussion forum, so I am going to express what I feel and what I think will happen. You can disagree with me. You can think I am overreacting. And that's more than fine. But I, and others, are not going to stop posting stuff you think is wrong. Otherwise, what is the point of this forum?

And I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe that Disney's animated movies, at their best, will barely make much of anything in theaters and at worst most of them will become Disney+ exclusives. I felt that Disney's animated movies would see poor grosses in the future ever since Disney+ first came out, albeit a lot faster than I expected due to outside circumstances, and there's no evidence that I have seen that suggests things will not change. You can give me all the arguments in the world, but I'm not going to agree with them. I'm sorry. Was I perhaps being hyperbolic before? Sure. But it's not like other people here have been hyperbolic in their statements.

And if you really hate BOT and their overreactions, like I always say here, you can ignore these posts, specifically by putting certain users on your Ignore list, or find another forum or website to talk about box office. The Internet has plenty of places where you can talk box office, so you don't have to stick around a place/community you're not a fan of.

• Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Could the fact that Tim Allen isn't Buzz Light year anymore have something to do with this number? I've never been into these movies(saw the TS1 once when I was a kid) but even I know from pop culture that Tim Allen is kinda synonymous with Buzz Lightyear and Tom Hanks as Woody.  It seems like it would be like making a Shrek movie without Mike Myers or Cameron Diaz.

the movie isnt doing hot internationally ether, there just isnt much interested in the movie