EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

8 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

You're right. I was wrong there. But that's because they were speculation. They were predictions. They were how I personally felt would happen. Was I wrong? Yes. But everybody is wrong sometimes. Nobody has a flawless track record here. This is a discussion forum, so I am going to express what I feel and what I think will happen. You can disagree with me. You can think I am overreacting. And that's more than fine. But I, and others, are not going to stop posting stuff you think is wrong. Otherwise, what is the point of this forum?

And I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe that Disney's animated movies, at their best, will barely make much of anything in theaters and at worst most of them will become Disney+ exclusives. I felt that Disney's animated movies would see poor grosses in the future ever since Disney+ first came out, albeit a lot faster than I expected due to outside circumstances, and there's no evidence that I have seen that suggests things will not change. You can give me all the arguments in the world, but I'm not going to agree with them. I'm sorry. Was I perhaps being hyperbolic before? Sure. But it's not like other people here have been hyperbolic in their statements.

And if you really hate BOT and their overreactions, like I always say here, you can ignore these posts, specifically by putting certain users on your Ignore list, or find another forum or website to talk about box office. The Internet has plenty of places where you can talk box office, so you don't have to stick around a place/community you're not a fan of.

No, the point is that you and certain others are somehow allowed to overreact and if others do it or say inflamitory and ridiculous things it is instant MODERATION warnings and ban threats.  

I like BOT and have been here for a long time.  I'll tolerate and somewhat accept that one rogue moderator who plays by his own set of rules isn't going to ruin it for everyone.  Again, I'm not the only one that thinks you are quick to pull the trigger on others but very very slow to police yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

So it’s looking like Lightyear could end up in the Summer 2022 “miss” pile with Downton Abbey 2, Firestarter, Men and Bob’s Burgers. 

Next weekend I’m hoping Elvis is over $35m and The Black Phone is over $20m.

When I first seen the trailer for Black Phone, I thought it would be a $30-40m+ breakout, but $20m+ would be solid. 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think strange world will do that well either. for disney animation at the box office it's gonna be a light year.

The movies they are releasing just seem to have no soul. Hard to see how they continue onward from here, Chapek must be turning red with anger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 3

If manages 60 and something like 180 total that's not great but not horrible. The premise confused people, the reviews weren't stellar and it's up against TGM and JWD. I still very, very much believe exclusive theatrical windows for Pixar and WDAS stuff can do extremely well. Now, if the premise was far cut and dry and Lightyear had Turning Red level acclaim and little competition and this occurred, I'd maybe feel differently.

I still think Warriors winning a title last night took bite out of the left coast sales for sure too. Let's wait to see the full weekend before starting the meltdowns.

• Knock It Off 1

There is a distinction between overreacting to a single data point in isolation, and connecting several data points to form reasonable (if not speculative) conclusions 

Morbuis’s OW wasn’t an indication of anything other than it was a bad movie no one cared about, and suggesting otherwise was an overreaction. But LY appearing to head to a significant underperformance in the context of how Disney has handled their Pixar/animated movies & Disney+ and larger concerns about a shrinking theatrical audience, especially among families, is not. No different than observing how adult dramas have largely struggled, and what that says about their potential future in the theatrical vs streaming market 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Morbuis’s OW wasn’t an indication of anything other than it was a bad movie no one cared about, and suggesting otherwise was an overreaction.

????

0c0

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The movies they are releasing just seem to have no soul. Hard to see how they continue onward from here, Chapek must be turning red with anger.

Luca forward in the future and I think they’ll rebound. Hopefully they don’t make an elemental mistake of doing day and date or streaming. It’d be a dark and strange world if so.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

There is a distinction between overreacting to a single data point in isolation, and connecting several data points to form reasonable (if not speculative) conclusions 

Morbuis’s OW wasn’t an indication of anything other than it was a bad movie no one cared about, and suggesting otherwise was an overreaction. But LY appearing to head to a significant underperformance in the context of how Disney has handled their Pixar/animated movies & Disney+ and larger concerns about a shrinking theatrical audience, especially among families, is not. No different than observing how adult dramas have largely struggled, and what that says about their potential future in the theatrical vs streaming market 

How are theatrical audiences among families shrinking because LY might underperform?  Sonic 2 opened to $70m+ just weeks ago and The Bad Guys is legging it out to nearly $100m on a $23m opening weekend.  

This is exactly what I am talking about.  People are connecting the dots that they WANT to connect based on their personal bias in a situation.  

Disney isn't going to abandon theatrical for animation.  I can promise you that.  Not only is it incredibliy stupid, but it also would lead to an exodous of the talented creatives they rely on.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Just noticed Avatar just got removed from this image

It didnt get removed, it morbed its way out of there.

You could say it was the Way ... of the Water.

Also, I'm waiting for a single person to explain how this makes long term logical sense that because LY opens to $50m+ that suddenly Disney sees that and decides to abandon theatrical and send animation straight to Disney+.  "Hey, we get 60% of this theatrical money to the tune of maybe $400m or $500m grosses, but we are just going to abandon that money forever going forward to...... spite ourselves?"

The reason they sent animation to Disney+ is a combo of covid and hoping it would boost the stock price and get them subscribers, and neither of those things panned out for them.  Chapek is a guy, he isn't Disney, and he is a guy that is 8 months from the potential end of his career at Disney and doesn't have an extension.  THAT is the bigger story here.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

You're right. I was wrong there. But that's because they were speculation. They were predictions. They were how I personally felt would happen. Was I wrong? Yes. But everybody is wrong sometimes. Nobody has a flawless track record here. This is a discussion forum, so I am going to express what I feel and what I think will happen. You can disagree with me. You can think I am overreacting. And that's more than fine. But I, and others, are not going to stop posting stuff you think is wrong. Otherwise, what is the point of this forum?

And I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe that Disney's animated movies, at their best, will barely make much of anything in theaters and at worst most of them will become Disney+ exclusives. I felt that Disney's animated movies would see poor grosses in the future ever since Disney+ first came out, albeit a lot faster than I expected due to outside circumstances, and there's no evidence that I have seen that suggests things will not change. You can give me all the arguments in the world, but I'm not going to agree with them. I'm sorry. Was I perhaps being hyperbolic before? Sure. But it's not like other people here have been hyperbolic in their statements.

And if you really hate BOT and their overreactions, like I always say here, you can ignore these posts, specifically by putting certain users on your Ignore list, or find another forum or website to talk about box office. The Internet has plenty of places where you can talk box office, so you don't have to stick around a place/community you're not a fan of.

I’m kind of with you on where you’re going with thoughts to Disney animated movies, but then I just cannot fathom why they would favour a move towards making less money. 

This is where I think it’ll settle down and this seven week window/or Pixar straight to tv stuff will have to take a back seat. 

Interesting times. 
I just don’t see any evidence as to why less box office and less PVOD/retail revenue is a good thing for them.  

people can crow about Encanto and all the streams it got on YouTube/Spotify with the music at Xmas, but that didn’t stop Frozen/Frozen II  getting the equivalent. And they were over a longer specified time when people were actually paying to see the movie rather than watching it over and over for nothing within a month. 

These guys are the masters of squeezing every living dollar out of their products, so I just have to believe they’ve seen the light and this is a temporary thing. 

anyways, Lightyear might ignite this weekend but its performance will be scrutinised by us all inevitably. 

My mate said to me the other day he was finally going to see MoM this weekend and then somebody told him it was on tv this Wednesday. So he effectively put his money back in his wallet. He’d have gone if it was coming to PVOD. But for free? What’s he going to do? 

I find it all so odd. 
maybe they’re just desperate for content until their pipeline catches up with the delays in production on so much that they’d commissioned. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1