EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

I mentioned in another thread that Strange World feels like one of the bigger risks for Disney in a while given the Atlantis/Treasure Planet vibes of it all (even if the Disney brand of 2022 is in a much different place than it was in 2001/2002). Honestly after being in the business for so long (next year marks the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company so we might be seeing the premiere of a new logo before either The Haunted Mansion or The Little Mermaid) they can afford to test the waters without worrying about the brand being devalued.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mentioned in another thread that Strange World feels like one of the bigger risks for Disney in a while given the Atlantis/Treasure Planet vibes of it all (even if the Disney brand of 2022 is in a much different place than it was in 2001/2002). Honestly after being in the business for so long (next year marks the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company so we might be seeing the premiere of a new logo before either The Haunted Mansion or The Little Mermaid) they can afford to test the waters without worrying about the brand being devalued.

Pixar was number one in the business for 20 years lol never doubt Bob Chapek’s ability to massively devalue his brands

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Just like I told you last night, you don't seem to understand that word but we don't really disagree on the facts per se -- it's very likely.

Man oh man give it a rest already, it’s embarrassing at this point…

• Knock It Off 1

What are the latest numbers, please?

Got back from Lightyear... I don't know. Better than I expected given what I'd heard. Buzz, Sox and both Hawthorne's were very likeable and good. Visually just incredible on the big screen with some neat action beats here and there. But, yeah, the rest was more meh. It's their most consistently impressive visually for me since Coco though. I loved the animation in fits and starts in Luca, Turning Red and especially Soul... But, this one... Space, the world building... Almost all of it. Loved the look. I can see why it's being rejected or met with a shrug by many though. I disagree with that sentiment but get it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The fat lady hasn't sung yet!  

I am on record that TG2 will still be playing in theaters until nearly October.  

I mean, this wouldn't be a shock with how light the schedule is these next few months. July with only 8 wide releases, August so far having 6 movies (Bullet Train, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Easter Sunday, Fall, Beast, Three Thousand Years) that are locked in due to their promotion starting, September currently has only three movies (Don't Worry Darling, Bros, Smile) that are being promoted right now (if there's nothing for Salem's Lot or The Woman King soon I'll assume they're moving), and everything else is a re-release. The production issues/shifts to streaming has definitely taken a toll on the annual movie schedule, last year felt like it had a lot more releases to offer and that's only because the majority of 2021's movies were supposed to be out in 2020 originally.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

The scenes here if TGM ascends back to #1 again next weekend. 

I've been looking forward to next weekend thinking about this.  My guess is Elvis can win it, but that run time is going to limit it and the failure of Lightyear/Chapek coupled with the magic of Father's Day Weekend means that TG2 doesn't lose any screens or shows.  

14 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

The scenes here if TGM ascends back to #1 again next weekend. 

I don’t see anyway this happens. But if it does, $700M might be back on the table after its hopes were allegedly crushed last Thursday.

29 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

There is also going to be an element at play here that everyone from AMC down to local chains are going to be more than happy to stick it to and step on a Disney film for once when next week comes.  

I would bet that many theaters cut down to 1 screen of Lightyear in favor of continuing to hold multiple screens of TG2 and even JWD along with giving Elvis more room due to its length and potential popularity.  

Minions the following week is really going to cut Lightyears guts out along with 4th of July being good for TG2 and JWD.  

Is JWD playing as well to children in the US/CAN as it is here in Malaysia? The best selling hall for this here seems to be the Family Halls literally all the halls have sold 80-100% of seats this week relying on walk ins for weekdays and bookings for weekends. 

40 minutes ago, Agafin said:

What did Disney "pull" in France?

Disney isn't releasing Strange World in France because France has a law that prevents theatrical releases from going to streaming for 17 months. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, krla said:

Disney isn't releasing Strange World in France because France has a law that prevents theatrical releases from going to streaming for 17 months. 

Honestly I'd go with direct to streaming too with that law, that's just ridiculous in today's moviegoing environment.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, krla said:

That’s an incredibly stupid law. 

• Like 5