EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

18 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Lmao at Lightyear. This is now flop territory with that reported 200M budget.

Dominion is winning the weekend, which makes me a happy dinosaur. The drop though is only similar to FK because of Fathers Day, so well need to see how it holds up after this weekend to see if 350M or 390-400M is more likely for it. I still think it will be closer to 350M.

Top Gun is just amazing. The movie and its run.

If it had a $200m budget that's actually so funny. Is Disney really so out of ideas that they made a spino-off movie and prayed it would perform like it wasn't one

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If it had a $200m budget that's actually so funny. Is Disney really so out of ideas that they made a spino-off movie and prayed it would perform like it wasn't one

So how do you see TGM vs Avatar 2 domestic?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xavier said:

So how do you see TGM vs Avatar 2 domestic?

I haven't been doing any analysis on TGM so I don't really know what it will end on, looks like $650m? Avatar: The Way of Water (A2) is going to comfortably make over a billion dollars domestic. I made a club.

• Like 1

Minions... Not the biggest fan... Please break out a bit. You'd think with the LY numbers that that's more likely than before. 

Excellent number for JWD but as Brainbug said, this is likely due mostly to the juiced up holiday weekend and it's still likely to fall shot of JWFK's second weekend and further behind JWFK's running total. Using that estimate for Saturday JWD is now 17M+ behind JWFK on through the same date. I can't imagine it not just continuing to fall further and further behind. 375M seems like a fair goal and that's providing it some nice late legs due to not much competition. I can't imagine 385+ as possibility let alone 400M+. Sadly, the dream of 4 400M+ summer blockbusters likely died this weekend. Hopefully Thor 4 can still make it 3.

TGM is just nuts. 43M+ 4th weekend!? Just awesome.

Hopefully Elvis breaks out a bit next weekend.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't think the spinoff aspect is the worst. The kind of spinoff and how far they went to try to milk this I think was shittiest approach. 

I think a Buzz spin-off in the same Toy Story world, as the toy we are used to see, would have made much better. 

The buzz toy on a solo adventure with some supporting characters either new or that we've seen already. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Hmm the problem is traditional animation isn't done at Pixar and it's a lost art, practically. They had to train new layout artists for Klaus, that hand drawn movie made for Netflix.

Well to be fair, it's a silly hypothetical about how I would try to make this idea work.  So in my pretend world, it's got traditional animation lol.

57 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The number should be at least $15.75m for TG2

Who would have thought TGM and LY would be neck and neck for Saturday gross even 2 days ago, much less a month ago 

Looks like, for as poor as they were, the Th and Fri numbers for LY were propped up by adults, and once those faded, the family audience proved weaker 

Edited by M37