EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c it's a movie the parent wants to see...

None of the movies you quoted are kid-focused movies - they are just movies you can take kids to...

so you don’t think parents and adults want to watch Disney and Pixar animated films anymore at the cinema? When they have done, and often in year winning numbers for decades on end? 

Or is it because they’ve had two years of gifts which is unsustainable for a behemoth whose life blood and DNA is its animation output?

They’ll sort theatrical out in due course for these films. This weekend will have been their first definitive wake up call that they’ve kind of fucked up. 

2 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Outside of their sequels, the last original-concept Pixar movie I out and out loved and adored was Brave

Brave is like the worst Pixar movie lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The current idea is "do families find value in buying 3-6 tickets for kid-skewing movies when they have to pay full price tickets for their kids"...

Right now, adults are back and willing to pay for 1-2 tickets for great movies, especially for the occasional movie...and subscribers are willing to buoy the rest of the adult-skewing movies.

But kids can't subscribe.  And they can't get cheaper tickets than their parent's subscriptions, except on Tuesdays.  And they will watch movies at home. A lot of them.

Kids had 2 years to never develop a movie-going habit.  Theaters should have used those two years to realize they need to get these kids in asap for anything at any cost b/c if you don't create the habit, you'll have an industry like Blockbuster - good for a time, and then never again...

Can’t believe no MTC has yet rolled out a family plan for subscription, 2 adults + 1/2 kids (with additional cost to add more kids). At a time when people have become accustomed to streaming, rebuilding that routine is critical not just for now, but more importantly for the future 

3 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Look, I’m not saying theaters are dead forever. I’m not saying kids aren’t interested in theaters. Im not saying any of this stuff.

I am simply stating how the GA feels, how the studio feels, separate from my thoughts, and how streaming will hurt Disney’s animated movies and their box office forever. Minions will do fine. Theaters will be fine. But even if Chapek is gone and Elemental or whatever was playing exclusively for months, it would still do poorly and worse than a few years ago because people will wait for Disney+. That’s not stuff I like or prefer, but I think will happen. It’s so frustrating words are being put into my mouth. Is nuance not allowed? Do I have to explain theaters are doing amazing and kids like movie theaters and everything will largely be fine every other sentence?

What would really help would be for Elemental to have a dynamite concept and a great teaser/trailer. But a movie about a sentient water drop and a walking ball of fire aren't that. . . .they might as well be scrapped characters and concepts from Inside Out.

Turning Red and Soul were the first Pixar movies in a long time to actually have good hooks. I thought Soul blew it, but I think Turning Red might have been a hit.

Disney has, whether deliberately or just straight up incompetence totally fucked their theatrical releases in Australia. Here's the animated tally since the pandemic began:

Trolls 2 9.4m

The Croods 2 21.6m

Raya and the Last Dragon 10.2m

Peter Rabbit 2 22m

Tom and Jerry 10.8m

Spirit 2 5.9m

Space Jam 2 13m

Boss Baby 2 4.1m

Encanto 6.5m

Clifford 5.7m

Sonic 2 22.5m

The Bad Guys 15.8m

There's clearly a market for animated movies in theatres if they're given a chance. Most of these movies had very good late legs, Trolls 2 in particular was still making money in theatres even after it had been released on home video. In my opinion Disney has probably left a good 30m+ on the table by not releasing the critically acclaimed Soul, Luca and Turning Red theatrically. Maybe it's been worth it for D+ subs.

Lightyear has opened to 2.1m USD here, around 3m AUD, so there's a good chance it makes it to 15m at least. We'll see how Minions does, but I daresay 20m+ is possible. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Impossible as long as Cars 2 exists.

Cars 2 is PAIN.

Cars 2 > Lightyear and Incredibles 2

Yall don’t understand the genius of Cars 2 yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2

4 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

On the bright side, TGM is doing well which I think shows that moviegoing isn't dead, but perhaps for family movies, families will wait it out. Could be that movies that are an experience to see in a theater are what do well such as TGM and MCU movies.

they won’t wait it out when there’s a price attached and the wait is much longer, trust me. 

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

To be fair though, Encanto was barely marketed for theaters and unless someone was savvy enough or visited entertianment sites a lot, many didn't know it was heading to Disney+ on Christmas Day until they announced it about a week or two from Christmas.

Pixar's having problems after Coco, and it's not just because of Disney+. It's something behind the scenes. They just lack magic. Turning Red was fine, but Soul is actually kinda boring (and I was really looking forward to that because its concept is irresitable) and Luca, big hit on D+ it may be, was so low stakes that it was hard for me to get invested in anything going on. They're making solid films, but they're not making the big hitters they used to.

Outside of their sequels, the last original-concept Pixar movie I out and out loved and adored was Brave

Pixar is going through a transition period and TBH it's very hard to maintain very high standards , even Walt Disney in his prime didn't manage it. I'm not worried because studios go through these phases and you need a few flops to get a sense of perpective. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Pixar is going through a transition period and TBH it's very hard to maintain very high standards , even Walt Disney in his prime didn't manage it. I'm not worried because studios go through these phases and you need a few flops to get a sense of perpective. 

I'm not sure it is Pixar that is entirely to blame for Lightyear flopping. I am sure a lot of this falls at Chapek's feet.

• Like 1

To counter the whole 'families don't want to watch movies in cinema anymore' narrative In the UK, Sonic 2, Sing 2 and The Bad Guys all did very solid numbers which proves that the theatrical window is still effective. I fully expect other family films like Minions 2 and Super-Pets will do well as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How's Lewis a negative, he is one of the greatest sportman of this generation? Cars 2 (alongside WALL-E) is the best animated film ever. I mean the actual animation, it's glorious. The story is rubbish.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

22 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Gotta be honest, the "Lightyear underperformed because audiences only watch animated movies on streaming now!" argument comes off as a very convenient excuse to me. Way easier to say that instead of "Well ... who actually asked for a movie about the person who inspired that toy from the Toy Story movies".

Im not saying streaming isnt having an effect, it clearly has. But imo, it shoudnt be used as the main argument why Lightyear is bombing. Most of the time movies bomb because people just werent really interested in seeing it.

And i personally think this argument will fall apart when Minions *surprises* us with a 70M+ debut.

Who asked for Avatar

who asked for Titanic

who asked for the WHEEL

people don't know what they want, but i do agree that it certainly aint lightyear

5 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I'm not sure it is Pixar that is entirely to blame for Lightyear flopping. I am sure a lot of this falls at Chapek's feet.

I don't think it's entirely that. Lightyear has been marketed and pushed heavily. You literally could not escape ads on Youtube, TV, etc.

It's likely gonna boil down to Disney already doing this back in the 2000s with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and many of the now grown 90s kids and Toy Story fans wondering why the hell they're doing something so completly different.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

How's Lewis a negative, he is one of the greatest sportman of this generation? Cars 2 (alongside WALL-E) is the best animated film ever. I mean the actual animation, it's glorious. The story is rubbish.

Because I don't like Lewis? Seems pretty simple to me haha