Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The larger and more obvious culprit has been the Disney+ scheme no doubt, but its exceptionally naive to act like the same sex kiss didn't deter some very important audience segments. 

I’m sure it deterred a couple odd shitstains like the people in your life appear to be.

Also, pointing at interest for a movie in a forum dedicated to the box office as an indicator of the general public’s interest in a film is really, really stupid. 

• ...wtf 1

Watching Man from Toronto on Netflix. Woody Harrelson is so clearly supposed to be Jason Statham it isn't even funny. He dresses like Statham, his demeanor is like Statham and the character design is Statham. They didn't have enough time to change it to Harrelson since Statham dropped out like a couple of weeks before filming

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

I’m sure it deterred a couple odd shitstains like the people in your life appear to be.

:wtf:

2 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

Also, pointing at interest for a movie in a forum dedicated to the box office as an indicator of the general public’s interest in a film is really, really stupid. 

:huh:

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

These types of posts are just off base as a post that blames the same sex kiss exclusively for the flopping. Yes, 71% of support same sex marriage so that people can live their lives happily. That doesn't mean they 71% support showing it in a children's film. 😂  Pretend that number was closer to 50%; and then of the 50% that opposed it, they made up 60% of the usual PIXAR audience. We have now removed a substantial chunk of potential viewers.

The larger and more obvious culprit has been the Disney+ scheme no doubt, but its exceptionally naive to act like the same sex kiss didn't deter some very important audience segments. 

Okay

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

This is, by far, the funniest way you could have said Harrelson resembles Statham. Lmao. 

It's less about the resemblance and more that the tattoos and the way he carries himself in the movie. It's very unlike any Harrelson character.

It's also very clearly a R rated movie stuck in a PG-13 shell. 

Edited by grim22

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Didn't know it dropped on Netflix already, they just don't give their releases any time to breathe huh

neither did I! Literally no fan fair. Just another film to lose amongst the thumbnails, although it has had pretty terrible reviews. 

sounds like Sony knew what they had and wisely offloaded it for a decent chunk 

The beauty and the beast has also a same sex kiss or whatever and Disney as always really made marketing on that 2 seconds of nothing. The news was everywhere, We know the movie was huge.

The only lesson hollywood should learn is if something loks like a spin off people are waiting for it on some platform. The time for the origin story of every side character is over. Just see as they planned all the spin off things about Star Wars for the big screen and then changed it after even a side character like ian solo flopped. 

Also this is the same situation of Pets 2. You can put an animation movie between all this big 200M movies now cinecomic and blockbusters are all for kids and children too. 

They should have released something like that in feb- march or sept-oct. Look how Croods 2 did kinda of good in november during the peak of the pandemic. 

I still think Lightyear was the perfect combination of everything going wrong. The kiss, the premisse, the visuals, the pandemic, the streaming, the change of habits. Literally everything going against it from all sides. Everything. It will explode on Disney+ in late July.

Hopefully Minions overperforms.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, excel1 said:

...What? That is completely false. go to the first few pages of the damn Lightyear thread. It lit up (pun intended) social media. 100k+ liked tweets, numerous people thinking it would be huge, etc.

These types of posts are just off base as a post that blames the same sex kiss exclusively for the flopping. Yes, 71% of support same sex marriage so that people can live their lives happily. That doesn't mean they 71% support showing it in a children's film. 😂  Pretend that number was closer to 50%; and then of the 50% that opposed it, they made up 60% of the usual PIXAR audience. We have now removed a substantial chunk of potential viewers.

Pokémon Detective Pikachu is a rebuttal to the example that people just didn’t care. It too had huge predictions from the lead in to release and huge trailer buzz and it too got the buzz purely for the memes. At most, the gay kiss, which is briefly in there for a second, would’ve lost idk maybe $1-2M at the most as those same parents who you claim are up in a tizzy would’ve forgotten about it and still taken their kids to see it if there were interested in the first place which they were not but the truth was hype didn’t adjust to our expectations, it just wasn’t appealing enough.

For example, in a THR article 

“Disney insiders counter that red-leaning states contributed the same percentage of the overall gross for Lightyear as they did for Sonic 2.

Lightyear also under-indexed in the Northeast, where many locales are Democratic-leaning, as well as in Canada. It overperformed in the West and in the Southeast, including in many Hispanic-led markets. (Hispanics made up more than 30 percent of the audience.)“

Please don’t do this culture wars BS and thank you

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

If every other animated movie for the remainder of the year also underperforms that would alleviate some of the flack Lightyear's performance is receiving (especially when animated movies in general were passed off to streaming by virtually all of the studios throughout the pandemic). But yeah, its numbers are a definite disappointment. Doubt we'll be seeing anymore character spin-offs from Pixar (or Disney Animation, for that matter) going forward.

TBF WDAS generally doesn't do spin-offs, sequel wise they've not done that many either unless you count the DTVs.

I do think Pixar needs to focus on originals for the next few years although as I said before, I would be okay with them adapting something, it must be difficult coming with original ideas and no one would begrudge them if they did.

7 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

So it looks like another solid drop for JWD, no? Is the bad WOM narrative still going to persist after this?

Bad WOM narrative never hold much ground. If it had bad WOM, it woudnt be at 300M DOM after Sunday. At the same time, its holds so far arent good enough to give it the label of "good/very good" WOM either. Thus i think its WOM is solid. Neither very good nor bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

So it looks like another solid drop for JWD, no? Is the bad WOM narrative still going to persist after this?

I think the idea is that WOM was more mixed than bad. It's pretty much a lock to have the worst legs of any of the 6 Jurassic movies. It opened just 2M or 3M DOM under JWFK but will likely finish with a total that's as much as 50M+ less DOM. It's not a bad drop given last weekend was inflated but I think many expected a little more than 26M (personally I think it'll do 27M+ and the deadline estimate is low)... A good number of people expected close to or over 30M this weekend. So... Not a bad drop, not sure I'd call it solid though.