Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

These people most of the time have no real understanding how the box office works and most of them probably just want to hate on JW for the fun of it so they wont listen to any actual arguments. Its best to ignore such people.

Ive said it numerous times but "toxic" WOM is really, really rare. When it comes to big blockbusters, only BvS comes to mind from recent times if im not forgetting something right now.

Probably didn’t meet “blockbuster” criteria, but …

Staring Jared Leto GIF by MorbiusMovie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Probably didn’t meet “blockbuster” criteria, but …

Staring Jared Leto GIF by MorbiusMovie

But Morbius is beloved? I mean it even got a big re-release recently! No Way Home didnt get that, The Batman didnt get that, hell not even Top Gun Maverick has gotten a major re-release yet! That means Morbius ist the most beloved Blockbuster of the year so far, possibly of all time.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

I don't know if my mom likes or has ever seen Moulin Rouge or Great Gatsby, but I'm scared she's gonna hate the movie and think it's too flashy or weird. The only movies she likes are middling Oscar bait, so maybe this will be too much for her.

As it turns out, she really liked the movie and actually likes Baz okay. And honestly, I kinda wished it was crazier and flashier and more on the levels of Moulin Rouge, because this was just Rocketman with quicker edits tbh

I am watching Herogasm right now while I wait for Saturday numbers and between this and the first episode dick scene, this season of The Boys is legendary.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

Just now, CJohn said:

I am watching Herogasm right now and between this and the first episode dick scene, this season of The Boys is legendary.

i still need to catch up on this season, but netflix just dropped a show that's entirely about rowan atkinson fighting a bee that i must assume is the television event of the year so that first for me.

though it seems it's not without its faults. from the reception section of the wikipedia page:

Jeffries, and West-Knights, criticised the lack of characterisation for the Bee

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Just finished up watching Paul McCartney at Glastonbury, headlining. Casually brought out Bruce Springsteen and Dave Grohl for a couple of songs with him. Then they all jammed together at the end to wrap it up. Unbelievable stuff.  Grohl and Springsteen looking at McCartney like he’s a god - which of course he is.  Ironic we’ve just had an historic performance from Paul at arguably the world’s most famous festival, during the opening weekend of Elvis. 

Glad I stayed home to watch that tonight on tv. 
Tomorrow - Baz, Austin, and Tom time…..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i still need to catch up on this season, but netflix just dropped a show that's entirely about rowan atkinson fighting a bee that i must assume is the television event of the year so that first for me.

though it seems it's not without its faults. from the reception section of the wikipedia page:

I watched the trailer for that and it lost me the moment "A Netflix Series" came up. A movie with the premise sounds fun, a series sounds dire.

• Like 3

Elvis is the absolute perfect marriage of concept and creator. This movie is doing as well as any Elvi biopic was ever going to do. 

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I watched the trailer for that and it lost me the moment "A Netflix Series" came up. A movie with the premise sounds fun, a series sounds dire.

Shocked they decided to make it a series when it already sounds like a 90 minute runtime would be stretching it

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I heard Rowan Atkinson promoting that on the new Kermode and Mayo podcast, the episodes are like 10 minutes long. He mentioned they originally developed the show for another streamer so it was probably going to be a Quibi "series", most of those were just movies cut up into segments.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2