Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

52 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

I believe toys are losing market share to bananas

The grocery store near me does feature Disney characters plastered on the sticker. My family bought the latest bunch with a Captain America sticker on it. You just might be on to something

9 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

The series was a bit before my time so I don't understand how Shrek movies are so big like that? 

One of the reasons IMO is that the comedy in the original was very adult, really pushing the envelope (at that time) for PG/animated films. But it meant that older kids and adults also became fans, not just tolerated because their siblings or kids liked it. Despicable Me/Minions has done that to a degree as well, which is why it has also had staying power, though not to cultural level of Shrek 

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

One of the reasons IMO is that the comedy in the original was very adult, really pushing the envelope (at that time) for PG/animated films. But it meant that older kids and adults also became fans, not just tolerated because their siblings or kids liked it. Despicable Me/Minions has done that to a degree as well, which is why it has also had staying power, though not to cultural level of Shrek 

Nah, Shrek and Minions aren't similar in that way at all, imo. I mean I was 16 when the first Despicable Me came out. I didn't think it was like mature or anything at the time.

48 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I've googled that and found nothing. I find it very unlikely he'd say that given how old animation is.

Yeah I tried to as well but couldn't. I remember however arguing on it with a friend in 2019 and back then I had the video link.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah I tried to as well but couldn't. I remember however arguing on it with a friend in 2019 and back then I had the video link.

If Scorsese tried to say Miyazaki didn't make cinema, I'd throw hands.

But it doesn't seem like people have found him saying this so... 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

If Scorsese tried to say Miyazaki didn't make cinema, I'd throw hands.

But it doesn't seem like people have found him saying this so... 🤷‍♂️

Seems like the opposite. Miyazaki said scorsese ain't cinema

Miyazaki had no interest in meeting Scorsese when given the opportunity.

This anecdote comes courtesy of Steve Alpert, who was in charge of the international division of Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli from 1996 to 2011. During an interview with Cartoon Brew, Alpert explained that Scorsese actually once invited Miyazaki to his apartment, hoping "to discuss filmmaking" with the respected animator.

Miyazaki was apparently less than thrilled at the prospect, and decided against taking the King of Comedy helmer up on his offer. Alpert then had to relay this message to a distressed press agent, who pleaded, "Can't you get him to please do this? I don't want to lose my job." Alpert, seemingly attempting to give a polite reason for Miyazaki's refusal, simply replied, "I think he might just be tired."

there's no shot scorsese said animation isn't cinema lol. unless miyazaki hurt his feelings that much.

• Astonished 5

41 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I guess now I have to find it.

Edit: I tried, couldn't. 

It was MCU, not animation 

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

It was MCU, not animation 

I distinctly remember animation being there, not in his original piece but in some low key interview he did where he justify his statement.

I remember because I used it to argue with my friend over this, and since we both love animations, it sort of standout.

But since I can't find it, I have no way of proving it now.

1 hour ago, Eric the Minion said:

The grocery store near me does feature Disney characters plastered on the sticker. My family bought the latest bunch with a Captain America sticker on it. You just might be on to something

juice2_8fba8190-66d8-4eb9-8c48-1da51df08

Not a banana, but I am surprised this is a real product I've seen in stores.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I distinctly remember animation being there, not in his original piece but in some low key interview he did where he justify his statement.

I remember because I used it to argue with my friend over this, and since we both love animations, it sort of standout.

But since I can't find it, I have no way of proving it now.

Lars Von Trier, there's something who hates animation though. he literally says so in one of his documentaries. He told someone to make an animated movie though, as a challenge. The Five Obstructions.