Eric S'ennui

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Let's not forget it wasn't just the quality holding back the 2007 blockbusters. All 3 released in May and cut into each other's grosses hard. All three were supposed to be enormous record breakers but ended up scheduled right after the other. That was a crazy summer, had transformers and OotP too

8 minutes ago, setna said:

...sad, couln´t hold well this weekend, the dream of 700 M i think is gone...

I mean, it still pulled $15M in its seventh weekend. Its run is gonna start winding down at some point. Doesn't take away from the fact the movie has overperformed and beat even the highest expectations for it by such an insane margin.

• Like 2

Just now, Killimano3 said:

Let's not forget it wasn't just the quality holding back the 2007 blockbusters. All 3 released in May and cut into each other's grosses hard. All three were supposed to be enormous record breakers but ended up scheduled right after the other. That was a crazy summer, had transformers and OotP too

Trio of Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, Shrek 3

Vs

Trio of Strange 2, Jurassic World 3, Thor 4

preferences people? 

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The threequels disappoinment of 2007. Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3. All of them were supposed to be huge 400M+ behemoths, but disappointed quality and box office wise. It allowed Transformers to do well as the fresh property in that summer.

And also, Transformers managed to outgross Pirates 3, DOM-wise.

TF1 = $319M

Pirates 3 = $309M

$10M apart from each other.

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Vs

preferences people? 

The 2007 blockbusters were about 100000000x better than those three movies, and I don't say that lightly considering one of them involves three hours of Johnny fucking Depp.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Vs

preferences people? 

Haven't seen Pirates 3 or Shrek 3 in forever, but Spider-Man 3's lowkey GOATed and is way better in hindsight. The way it tackles Peter and Mary Jane's relationship and the conflicts that come with maintaining a romance is something you just never see, at least when it comes to blockbusters, and it really hits you.

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Kinda surprised that out of all the biggest summer movies of 2007, Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix was the only one not to hit $300M+ DOM, considering it only had Transformers as competition to go against in July 2007. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Interesting comparison since both those superhero movies are directed by Sam Raimi of course. 👩🏻‍💼

I like Strange 2 unlike most and ofc CBM in general are much better than they used to be.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Haven't seen Pirates 3 or Shrek 3 in forever, but Spider-Man 3's lowkey GOATed and is way better in hindsight. The way it tackles Peter and Mary Jane's relationship and the conflicts that come with maintaining a romance is something you just never see, at least when it comes to blockbusters, and it really hits you.

Tweet I had seen a while ago. 

mj-who-are-you-mary-jane-who-are-you.gif

In the above scene, Spider-Man is confused because he isn't sure if he is Tobey or not Tobey.

Everyone appreciates Spider Man 3 and Transformers now because of how ugly and formulaic every blockbuster is these days. We need some of that chaotic Bayhem energy back.

No bullshit I'd watch Revenge of the Fallen over Love and Thunder or Dominion again any day of the week. At least that has robot balls and an inexplicable scene where the Air and Space Museum has a mountain range airfield in the middle of Washington DC

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

Sunday AM reported figures — we’re still updating:

1.) Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) 4,375 theaters, Fri. $69.5M, Sat $41M, Sun 3-day $143M/Wk 1

143m means only 4.9x IM opening weekend! That is certainly within the range of a new low record. This proves that how much quality is holding back on JWD potential as a bigger grosser than what it is having now. 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everyone appreciates Spider Man 3 and Transformers now because of how ugly and formulaic every blockbuster is these days. We need some of that chaotic Bayhem energy back.

No bullshit I'd watch Revenge of the Fallen over Love and Thunder or Dominion again any day of the week. At least that has robot balls and an inexplicable scene where the Air and Space Museum has a mountain range airfield in the middle of Washington DC

That is my favorite domestic geography issue in that movie. My favorite international one is that they cross the international border from Jordan to Egypt. 

The US military also literally invades Egypt in the movie.

• Like 1