Eric Quinn

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

You guys do realize that you are expecting Thor 4 to open as high as Black Panther? lol

That's inaccurate and doesn't take into account the massive amount of inflation that has occurred since BP came out, or the added fan rush that the MCU has experienced since Endgame. 

Considering both factors, a $200M MCU OW in July 2022 is equal to about $150-160M in February 2018. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Marvel and the MCU aren't going to die. Not when they still have their big guns coming down the line.

Those big guns failed previously right? F4 are a joke. 

I am not saying MCU is dying for sure. I am saying they need to get their shit together before it's too late.

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Thor opening wasn't bad but it is disappointing, there's no way to spin that. 

Especially because we know the main reason is the meh reception. Pretty sure if reviews came in 85% instead of 68% and CS ended up being an A, we would be talking about 160-170M opening at least.

Yes. Very similar to how we all felt when JWD opened 145M OW DOM. Not bad by any stretch but with a reception even more like JWFK, it likely opens to 160M - 170M as well. Hopefully with summer days TLT has okay summer legs and gets to 350M+ DOM. I think that's doable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Old people have habit to claim that the stuff when they were young was better. 

I am sure in 10 years I will be thinking that 2010s stuff was better than 2030s

I mean the prime of my youth had Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, the first three Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Top Gun, Back to the Future, Batman and Die Hard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am not saying MCU is dying for sure. I am saying they need to get their shit together before it's too late.

An MCU X-Men film could be huge. Look at how Spider-Man managed to rebound.

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

what do you mean? I  don't think metacritic can impact that much. Maybe is simplier: the reviews have a reason so the WOM is bad.

If critics ae so influential for the genre Joker shouldn't have exceed the expectations in the first weekend. When people goes on twitter after the previews or friday and they write "joker is best movie ever, just incredible" who cares about the critics. The ones really reading that stuff are people already interested in a movie.

Critics are influential when it comes to MCU, it's the only franchises this happen but it's a fact. 

Just go on social media, people talk endlessly about the scores, it's ridiculous.

One day superhero movies generally are gonna go the way of the western and then all the people who were saying for years that superhero fatigue was gonna set in will be going “see I toldja so”. Broken clock sort of scenario. 

Although probably more like how you just don’t see many romcoms like you used to. Marry Me didn’t exactly set the box office on fire, but maybe Bros will. 

9 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Nostalgia is playing a factor but one can't deny that a lot of the films from that era looked like they had a personality at least.

I re-watched Spider-man 1 last December. It is a mediocre movie for today's CBM standard.

Yes it was mind blowing for the time because uptil then CBMs were even worse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 4

Also it's about time people stop taking Dr Strange MoM increase over Dr Strange as an example and comparison.

MoM was an event that was built up since WandaVision, Loki, What If Ave then NWH just gave it the extra fuel to be Avengers of phase 4.

It was anything but a normal sequel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Almost the two biggest opening weekends of 2022.

Fire Feige.

Wouldn't shock me if with actuals TLT actually becomes the 2nd biggest OW DOM this year. I know WoM is mixed but Sunday drops for OW DOM in the heart of summer days are generally pretty soft. I could see TLT coming in 2M+ above that Sunday estimate that Disney gave it...

• Like 1

But seriously, I think it's obvious this would've had a similar performance/increase as Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 if it recieved good to great reviews.

That was probably what Taika was going for but everything might've been rushed to meet deadlines.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

An MCU X-Men film could be huge. Look at how Spider-Man managed to rebound.

Gimmicks can work for sometime in short run. For long run you need stories.

Ant-man: Quantumania is probably the most important movie for MCU coming next.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Deadpool 3 and Guardians 3 will help steer the ship. I also said before Blade can absolutely help regain audience goodwill and confidence. 

I don't really trust them making a good Fantastic 4 with how sloppy their CGI has gotten but they probably know how crucial that film is, so maybe they snag a legit good director and put together a strong ship.

But we'll see what happens at ComicCon. A very good BP2 trailer (regardless how film turns out) and some casting news (maybe for Mutants and F4) will be undeniably exciting and can alleviate the last few months

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

One day superhero movies generally are gonna go the way of the western and then all the people who were saying for years that superhero fatigue was gonna set in will be going “see I toldja so”. Broken clock sort of scenario. 

Although probably more like how you just don’t see many romcoms like you used to. Marry Me didn’t exactly set the box office on fire, but maybe Bros will. 

Superhero fatigue wouldn't be due to movies. 

The endless content that Marvel now and maybe DC in future will have to feed for Disney+ and HBO Max might end up doing the trick.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I re-watched Spider-man 1 last December. It is a mediocre movie for today's CBM standard.

Yes it was mind blowing for the time because uptil then CBMs were even worse. 

Spiderman 1 is one of the best superhero movies ever made and remains so. It stands so far above today's standards, it's not even funny

Your taste is crazy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3