Eric Lasagna

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What the general consensus as what's better? AMC Dolby or Cinemark XD?

Dolby IMO. I mean, they're basically the same thing as XD is just a Dolby knockoff but AMC's tend to do it a bit better. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Haven't been to either, but I have been to RPX and LieMax.

RPX is a lesser LieMax (except for the part where the Lie-Max auditorium didn't turn its lights off for 5 minutes into the movie)

I have heard AMC Dolby is potentially better than LieMax.

I prefer 60+ ft tall IMAX though, just because I like big things.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dolby

XD is a waste of money IMO. In Dolby, you can recline and the extra loud stero rumbles your seats. XD is just a larger than average screen with regular seats and dim projection.

That's not all XD's. The one about 5 miles from my house is full reclining and a laser projector. 

You can count me in the "looked up numbers in print" club as well. My first exposure to weekly box office numbers was looking at charts from the previous weekend published in the old Seattle P-I's Friday entertainment section, which listed the top ten nationally and the top ten in the Seattle metro area specifically. It was kinda cool to see the occasional discrepancy between #1s, like a headline in February 2000 touting how Pitch Black finished fourth nationwide but won the weekend in Seattle.

I know it's now been a full two decades since Spider-Man first broke $100 million in a single weekend, but I still kinda marvel (no pun intended) at how 100+ openings have become so commonplace that we expect several of them in a non-covid year now.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I actually avoid XD like the plague. Saw Grindlewald, Bohemian, and Rocketman in that format and each time I left the theater with an earache. It's SO freaking loud.

26 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That has nothing to do with market. Yes, there's a lack of content but the films that release are performing at a mostly high level, highest since 2019 undeniably

Agreed. However, perfoming the highest since 2019 doesn't mean that everything is back to normal. There are still some people hesitant to go to cinemas, especially the older and family demo and the economic situation is not great either in general. My point is that we should be a bit more optimistic and for an average film to open $140m is something to celebrate for sure, definitely not being gloomy about.   

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am an ancient human being sitting at 28 years old.

Someone end my misery, please :sadfleck:

Okay that means I've known you for like something like 15 years lol

• Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

Okay that means I've known you for like something like 15 years lol

I was a young and innocent child. In the meantime life destroyed me. Well, I did part of that myself but whatever. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Agreed. However, perfoming the highest since 2019 doesn't mean that everything is back to normal. There are still some people hesitant to go to cinemas, especially the older and family demo and the economic situation is not great either in general. My point is that we should be a bit more optimistic and for an average film to open $140m is something to celebrate for sure, definitely not being gloomy about.   

I don’t think celebrating a bad MCU movie for clearing the absolute lowest bar is cause for celebration 

6 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

You can count me in the "looked up numbers in print" club as well. My first exposure to weekly box office numbers was looking at charts from the previous weekend published in the old Seattle P-I's Friday entertainment section, which listed the top ten nationally and the top ten in the Seattle metro area specifically. It was kinda cool to see the occasional discrepancy between #1s, like a headline in February 2000 touting how Pitch Black finished fourth nationwide but won the weekend in Seattle.

I know it's now been a full two decades since Spider-Man first broke $100 million in a single weekend, but I still kinda marvel (no pun intended) at how 100+ openings have become so commonplace that we expect several of them in a non-covid year now.

Yeah I can remember when Spider-Man broke the 100 million opening weekend how big of a deal that was. The mojo forums got going in 2002 and that was a huge topic for us naturally.