Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

3 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

To be fair I don't remember all that much talk about it beating Titanic (maybe there were some what ifs when the project was first announced). Definitely not on the level of TPM/PH/Potter in my memory, although it still disappointed majorly relative to expectations either way.

maybe, i wasn't on box office mojo in '05 but the sentiment was around. i do remember EW and a few others doing a "well, well, well. look's like titanic's safe for now" spiel in their opening weekend post mortems. i think the hype partially came from King Kong beating titanic as the most expensive movie.

Edited by CoolioD1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I remember three things from King Kong

1) Kyle Chandler observing himself in the mirror for what feels like a 5 minute scene

2) Andy Serkis getting eaten by something horrifying

3) Thomas Kretschmann, my man

Thanks to Corridor Crew, to this awful VFX sequence

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe, i wasn't on box office mojo in '05 but the sentiment was around. i do remember EW and a few others doing a "well, well, well. look's like titanic's safe for now" spiel in their opening weekend post mortems. i think the hype partially came from King Kong beating titanic as the most expensive movie.

Oh yeah I do recall much hullabaloo over the budget at the time.

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Kong Skull Island exists.

It's the best Monsterverse movie.

(This is not an invitation to start fighting over the Gareth Edwards Godzilla movie, so please don't open up that can of worms pls)

When Avatar happened I was so grateful my long-standing "Titanic will be taken down by the end of the 00s" prediction (which was mostly banking on inflation) was redeemed at the 11th hour.

33 minutes ago, cannastop said:

oh yeah I remember that lmao.

Too bad nothing is ever going to have "Can it beat TFA" hype.

Huh?

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Secret War will easily have TFA hype if Marvel gets back on track. By time it happens, ticket prices will be damn near triple the price since 2015

Yes on the hype, but not literally on the ticket prices (maybe a 50% increase, though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

Since some of you guys have been following box office for so long, what was the first movie that people predicted would beat Titanic's domestic record? 

The Phantom Menace. The Star wars loonies, me not included this time, we're convinced that Star wars was going to make five gazillion dollars and it would blow Titanic out of the water.

35 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

The WoT fiasco has me expecting another one from Amazon when it comes to their 2nd megabudget fantasy adaptation attempt. In some ways I’ll be more bitter about WoT if LotR is actually done well though :hahaha:

It does seem like they threw out WoT just as a gap-filler for LOTR

1 minute ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Huh?

Yes on the hype, but not literally on the ticket prices (maybe a 50% increase, though).

+50% 2015 will probably be ballpark 4-5 years, so yes if secret wars is A5 or 6. If it’s like, a 2 parter saga ender A8 in early 2030s, maybe you can swing +75%

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think issue with episode 1 was that never got a lot of repeat viewings 

TPM is still a massive huge hit even still. 

Sorry but this is 100% false. The Phantom menace had a multiplier of something like 6.5 or something like that. Repeat viewings were definitely not a problem for Star wars because all the loonies ran out and saw it like five or six or 10 times. I remember seeing it at the theater in 1999 seven times over the summer. 400 million grossing films were not the norm in 1999. It didn't outgross Titanic but it certainly made a hell of a dent in the box office. Without looking it up I'm pretty sure the phantom menace was the second highest grossing movie of all time after it's run domestically.

• Like 1