Eric is Anxious

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Other sub 5 IM:
TLJ 4.89x (6 PM)
Breaking Dawn2 4.64x (10PM)
BD1 4.57x (true midnight)

TROS 4.44x (5 PM)
TFA 4.35x (7 PM)
DH2 3.89x (true midnight lmao)

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1

Since we’re talking older blockbuster franchises, it’s funny to imagine that there were times were both a Harry Potter-film and a Transformers-film went against each other in a summer, box office wise…three times as a pattern.

First there was 2007 with TF1 & Harry Potter: Order of the Phonix:

TF1 = $319M

OoTP = $292M

Then 2009 with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen & Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince:

TF2 = $402M

HBP = $302M

And lastly with Transformers: Dark of the Moon & Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2:

TF3 = $352M

DH2 = $381M

Two times did Transformers beat HP, and one time did HP beat Transformers.

My top 5 summer hit before summer start.

1. JWD 475m

2. DS2 450m

3. Thor:LT 400m

4. Minion  250m

5. Lightyear 235m

:whosad:

6. Top gun 2 225m

:hahaha:

In short, summer 2022 come above my prediction because of a movie that I look down the most. Still, I am so happy for this surprise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Isnt this the summer of lower-than-expected numbers overall though?

Doctor Strange was expected to hit 200M OW and atleast 450M+ total. It did neither.

Dominion was expected to hit 170M+ OW and 500M+ total. It did neither

Thor was expected to hit atleast 150M+ OW and 400M+ total. It will do neither.

Lightyear was expected ... well. You know the story.

The only real overperformers in this sense are (obviously) Top Gun and Minions.

Should I keep reading posts to see if anyone pointed out they are the best 2 "big" movies of the summer, too?

2000s was the worst era for blockbusters and of all the reclamation/nostalgia projects we DONT need it's people pretending any of the Transformers films or any of the Pirates films after the first 2 were good. It's not that they were bad really, so much as they were incoherent noise made by committee with tonal whiplash.

I've even seen people trying to reclaim the 00s bin juice anus dribble of parody movies: White Chicks, Little Man, Meet the Spartans, Epic Movie bilge on the basis that they 'weren't woke' or something, as if that in and of itself makes them ok.

No. The relative homogeneity of competently-made but predicable and safe movies now is not a reason to suddenly flutter eyes at movies that were the reason we needed the relative homogeneity of competent-made but predictable movies.

Spiderman 3 is an interesting precedent for what people are experiencing wit the MCU now. It has all the good things people liked about the first two and the same flaws, but by the third movie the good things were less effective and the flaws more obvious. Thor Love and Thunder and Ragnarok are perfect examples. All the problems people have with L&T were, arguably, worse in Ragnarok and all the positives are still there. It's just that we've seen this before now.

Meanwhile, delighted to see Black Phone do so well. Even if I found it more of a B to B+ than anything unavailable, its great a piece like that has done as well as it has.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

O. O 10 years

Sub 4 is near impossible, and the earlier preview start times well is just about dry.

It could happen if a hyped film comes in with toxic WoM I guess. And I do mean toxic, not just mixed, it would have to be really bad. Seems unlikely they would let that happen though, but you never know.

Edited by JustLurking

14 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Since we’re talking older blockbuster franchises, it’s funny to imagine that there were times were both a Harry Potter-film and a Transformers-film went against each other in a summer, box office wise…three times as a pattern.

First there was 2007 with TF1 & Harry Potter: Order of the Phonix:

TF1 = $319M

OoTP = $292M

Then 2009 with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen & Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince:

TF2 = $402M

HBP = $302M

And lastly with Transformers: Dark of the Moon & Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2:

TF3 = $352M

DH2 = $381M

Two times did Transformers beat HP, and one time did HP beat Transformers.

US embarrassed Potter films. No $500M film is just unfair of US