grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

He's rumored to be Directing Fantastic 4.

Which would be a plain weird choice both for him and Marvel. Ready Player One all over again. Now, I actually had mindless fun with that movie and I don't hate it, but it could have been directed by anyone. Hell, put it next to Free Guy, and they're almost indistinguishable in style. Spielberg was on auto-pilot with that one and I fear it would be the same issue with a FF movie. 

• Like 1

The Gray Man is such a basic shitshow. Like, you have seen it all and way better in many other movies. Evans, Gosling and Armas carry it with their charisma. Whatshisname from Bridgerton is godawful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The Gray Man is such a basic shitshow. Like, you have seen it all and way better in many other movies. Evans, Gosling and Armas carry it with their charisma. Whatshisname from Bridgerton is godawful.

Ana's always such a bright spot in her flicks. She has infectious levels of charisma. I still can't get over how wasted she was in No Time To Die.

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is Black Phone really “horror”? We don’t for maybe one jump scare it felt more like a straight thriller to me 

Given the heavy Blumhouse marketing presence, yes (it's also getting a house at Halloween Horror Nights this year)

24 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

A Quiet Place 2 if my memory serves correctly.

All the more impressive

1 hour ago, Eric Odinson said:

Shoutout to the audiences on the East coast, cuz I work at a theater in North Carolina, the film’s set in the Carolinas, Taylor Swift’s song’s titled “Carolina,” and by golly, the Carolinas came out for this. Multiple sold out showings on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at my multiplex.

• Like 3

My dream scenario is a twitter war between Martin Scorsese and Spielberg with Spielberg defending MCU and blockbusters.

That would be the biggest benefit of Spielberg directing FF. Since he'll probably be in autopilot again. 

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is Black Phone really “horror”? We don’t for maybe one jump scare it felt more like a straight thriller to me 

How is it not? It still has tons of scary situations, an intimidating psycho, plus

Spoiler

Heavy supernatural elements. It’s a horror movie.

• Like 1

Ready Player One felt like Spielberg making one final hurrah in the sci-fi/fantasy/adventure genre that he defined so iconically from '75 to '93 (as both a director and producer). It absolutely worked for me.

After The Fabelmans, I have a gut feeling he's going to retire.

• Like 2

Thor's OS tally is disappointing. Still not as big of drop from the previous one as Minions facing, but certainly not great. Domestically it's doing fine. I wouldn't give up on beating Minions just yet.

TGM is looking good for 700m domestic, 700m OS and 1.4 billion WW.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

The exorcist is not scary but it's a really really well directed movie and one of the most influential horror movie of all time. 

Also i find it a very deep movie about the eternal dilemma faith vs superstition. The times when horror movies were built around adult themes addressed in a profound way and not primarly targeted to teenagers and young people. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Thor's OS tally is disappointing. Still not as big of drop from the previous one as Minions facing, but certainly not great. Domestically it's doing fine. I wouldn't give up on beating Minions just yet.

TGM is looking good for 700m domestic, 700m OS and 1.4 billion WW.

You really need to let go of this use of Minions as a comparison, as it makes no sense. Family flicks, but especially ones that skew young and animations have been doing terribly. Minions 2 is the sole bright spot in the last two years, and that coming after a poorly-received first film.

T4or had everything going for it - a beloved third film preceding this and a fan-favourite portrayal in the IW/EG movies. Everything was there for it to succeed. At the very least, a GOTG2 run was an expected bar for it to clear (I think that's an apt comparison, GOTG 1 to 2 and then Ragnarok to this). It's not insane 500-600 million DOM, 1.2 billion WW numbers. We're talking just under 400 DOM, close to 900 WW. It will miss that by miles. This is not good, no matter how you try to spin it (and that includes throwing in a bizarre Minions comparison?!) - it's not necessarily a warning sign for the MCU brand, but it's definitely an alarm being sounded that their quality control is off the rails when their biggest selling point has been consistency.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The exorcist is not scary but it's a really really well directed movie and one of the most influential horror movie of all time. 

Also i find it a very deep movie about the eternal dilemma faith vs superstition. The times when horror movies were built around adult themes addressed in a profound way and not primarly targeted to teenagers and young people. 

Few things are more scary than having a sick child you cannot help. That is the relatable fear THE EXORCIST taps into.

39 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Shoutout to the audiences on the East coast, cuz I work at a theater in North Carolina, the film’s set in the Carolinas, Taylor Swift’s song’s titled “Carolina,” and by golly, the Carolinas came out for this. Multiple sold out showings on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at my multiplex.

Crawdads is going to hold very nicely until Don't Worry, My Darling (September).

• Like 1