Cap

MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS SAN DIEGO COMIC CON | THURSDAY: WWE PANEL | FRIDAY: LOTRs | SATURDAY: KEVIN | SUNDAY: BARGAINING SHOPPING | WE'RE BACK, BAY BEE.

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is it going to be in theaters? 

Breaking from SDCC: The first Avatar Studios movie coming to theaters in 2024 will no longer be about Kyoshi, but rather Aang! And, exclusive from Avatar News: it will be set in a time period where Team Avatar are young adults!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My Lord of the Rings trailer reaction: "Man, and I thought Star Wars fans were racist!"

I just don’t get the people who complain about it being a bastardization of Tolkien’s work, while simultaneously holding up the Peter Jackson films as a gold standard, as if Jackson didn’t take plenty of liberties himself. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I just don’t get the people who complain about it being a bastardization of Tolkien’s work, while simultaneously holding up the Peter Jackson films as a gold standard, as if Jackson didn’t take plenty of liberties himself. 

You know why.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Most of the changes in Jackson's trilogy are the kind you'd make adapting any book from page to screen as they are two very different mediums, but it still captures the essence of the books in spades.  Also the visual aesthetic of those films are flawless, in part thanks to some of the most well known Tolkien artists working on it.

There are racists freaking out about brown people no doubt, but they are changing some characters(not talking about skin color here) and condensing 3500 years of history down into a short period of time which is where a lot of the skepticism is coming from. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Most of the changes in Jackson's trilogy are the kind you'd make adapting any book from page to screen as they are two very different mediums, but it still captures the essence of the books in spades.  Also the visual aesthetic of those films are flawless, in part thanks to some of the most well known Tolkien artists working on it.

There are racists freaking out about brown people no doubt, but they are changing some characters(not talking about skin color here) and condensing 3500 years of history down into a short period of time which is where a lot of the skepticism is coming from. 

Didn’t the Jackson films used to get flack from hardcore Tolkien fans back in the day for their emphasis on action and the inclusion of silly slapstick comedy? 

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have some issues with the choices Jackson made but I don't think any changes were anywhere near as drastic as the ones we know from what has been revealed of this show so far. 

• Like 3

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Didn’t the Jackson films used to get flack from hardcore Tolkien fans back in the day for their emphasis on action and the inclusion of silly slapstick comedy? 

I'm sure there was. some of that.  I remember people being mad about no Tom Bombadil lol, that was the big one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I have some issues with the choices Jackson made but I don't think any changes were anywhere near as drastic as the ones we know from what has been revealed of this show so far. 

I haven’t been following the show. What exactly are the changes people keep harping about, other than that not everyone is white? 

Very tiresome dynamic nowadays where people can make shitty adaptational choices, racebend a few people, and when people complain about narrative choices a  bunch of other people will pop up to insinuate that awkshually the complainers must be racist.  

I guess if you’re going to make a bunch of unneeded non racial changes, that means it’s now smart to do a few racial changes as well to cash in on this defensive dynamic. I wonder if anyone has done this deliberately yet.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Very tiresome dynamic nowadays where people can make shitty adaptational choices, racebend a few people, and when people complain about narrative choices a  bunch of other people will pop up to insinuate that awkshually the complainers must be racist.  

I guess if you’re going to make a bunch of unneeded non racial changes, that means it’s now smart to do a few racial changes as well to cash in on this defensive dynamic. I wonder if anyone has done this deliberately yet.

This wouldn’t be a problem if there weren’t people who came out and bitched about the show for being “woke.” 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

I completely agree with the point but can we at least wait until the show is out to see how shitty this actually is? Because it does feel very racially motivated so far.