Cap

MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS SAN DIEGO COMIC CON | THURSDAY: WWE PANEL | FRIDAY: LOTRs | SATURDAY: KEVIN | SUNDAY: BARGAINING SHOPPING | WE'RE BACK, BAY BEE.

9 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Very tiresome dynamic nowadays where people can make shitty adaptational choices, racebend a few people, and when people complain about narrative choices a  bunch of other people will pop up to insinuate that awkshually the complainers must be racist.  

I guess if you’re going to make a bunch of unneeded non racial changes, that means it’s now smart to do a few racial changes as well to cash in on this defensive dynamic. I wonder if anyone has done this deliberately yet.

My major issue with race bending is that some of this characters feel like tokenization characters, Most times they feel underveloped,importance to the plot can artificially inflated even sometimes more than the main characters.  etc...

End of the day it's just studios trying to tick boxes and they don't really care about representation as they say and then when criticism comes ,

we get all this racial stuff overshadowing most of the criticisms being put forth.

Trailers for the show have been visually great, the rest we shall see with time.

Cautiously optimistic after the disaster that was Wheel of time and the show runners and the writing team make me skeptical.

• Like 3

Also, gotta say it’s pretty weird that the first like… 7, 8, 8+(?) animation seasons from Marvel Studios aren’t even going to be MCU. If these follow the marvel studios tv quality so far I probably won’t even watch them since they don’t have any greater importance.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Didn’t the Jackson films used to get flack from hardcore Tolkien fans back in the day for their emphasis on action and the inclusion of silly slapstick comedy? 

And the Tom Bombadil erasure. My mom is still peeved about that.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Somehow I doubt that’s what the people on YouTube are up in arms about…

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

This wouldn’t be a problem if there weren’t people who came out and bitched about the show for being “woke.” 

I know who the youtubers you're talking about, they bitch about whatever they perceive as "wokeness" in pretty much all entertainment and media....its literally their business model.  These guys are popular enough that they poison the well, muddy the waters, and drown out legitimate or nonracial criticisms on any given franchise they turn their attention to.

Right now my concern is condensing 3500 years of the 2nd age events into like a decade or so.  These four big ones here are all massive world changing events.

Annatar and the Forging of the Rings Power

The War of the Elves and Sauron

The Fall of Numenor

War of the Last Alliance

The world changes from flat to round with the destruction of Numenor ffs!

I'm also not the biggest fan of the production design/costumes...especially with what we've seen from Numenoreans so far.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

Yeah, I’m not saying that the people being racist isn’t a real dynamic too. I just feel it increasingly tends to distract and get used as a shield from legit criticism.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1

I don’t have particularly high expectations for the LotR show. I just think it’s pretty apparent that the usual suspects are using it as the next thing to rail against in their stupid culture war. Between Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Marvel, He-Man (of all things), and now LotR, it seems like this discourse is infecting just about every long-running geek franchise.

I can only hope this nonsense doesn’t make its way to the James Cameron Avatar fandom. 

Edited by WittyUsername

As is true with everything, nobody cares if you think the show looks bad for story/narrative reasons. If you think it's bad for those reasons, that's fine. But the whole "lol LOTR fans are being the worst" is because of all the people bitching and moaning about it being "woke". And whether we like it or not, that is a fairly insignificant portion of the backlash that should be criticized and attacked, because it is yet another instance of fascism and neo-Nazism spreading into our world. And it's objectively terrible.

I understand it can be annoying that it "deflects criticsm", though whether a TV show's legit problems are getting addressed aren't as important as the above paragraph IMHO, but that doesn't mean our frustrations with this bigotry are any less valid than your concerns on the show, nor can we not go after this stuff.

• Like 4

The real issue with Rings of Power is just how generic and bland it looks. What makes the Lord of the Rings movies stand out for me compared to the glut of fantasy content there is is the distinctive and dynamic look of it all. Some scenes are vibrantly colored and whimsical while some others are dark, dreary and overpowering. The camera work is also impeccable, as are Andy Serkis's motion capture of Gollum and the crazy orc makeup. This new Amazon series looks like pretty much any other fantasy series. It looks too... polished. This world should have a more rugged look to it.

Anyway, that Marvel animation panel was quite the handful. Very excited for Freshman Year and X-Men '97 in particular. I did notice the lack of any new project announcements, and the focus on only 4 projects. The main Marvel studio also has 4 projects left for this year. Sounds like foreshadowing that the live-action panel will be strictly 2022 to me. Wakanda Forever, She-Hulk, the Holiday Special and a surprise Werewolf by Night reveal can easily fill up an hour. Then, at D23 they can do another movie slate reveal akin to the 2019 Comic-Con conference.

By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock on those recent trademark filings. 90% of them are most likely for comics, or fake titles put there by Marvel to throw off snoops, or names Marvel might want to use in the very distant future.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The real issue with Rings of Power is just how generic and bland it looks. What makes the Lord of the Rings movies stand out for me compared to the glut of fantasy content there is is the distinctive and dynamic look of it all. Some scenes are vibrantly colored and whimsical while some others are dark, dreary and overpowering. The camera work is also impeccable, as are Andy Serkis's motion capture of Gollum and the crazy orc makeup. This new Amazon series looks like pretty much any other fantasy series. It looks too... polished. This world should have a more rugged look to it.

Anyway, that Marvel animation panel was quite the handful. Very excited for Freshman Year and X-Men '97 in particular. I did notice the lack of any new project announcements, and the focus on only 4 projects. The main Marvel studio also has 4 projects left for this year. Sounds like foreshadowing that the live-action panel will be strictly 2022 to me. Wakanda Forever, She-Hulk, the Holiday Special and a surprise Werewolf by Night reveal can easily fill up an hour. Then, at D23 they can do another movie slate reveal akin to the 2019 Comic-Con conference.

By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock on those recent trademark filings. 90% of them are most likely for comics, or fake titles put there by Marvel to throw off snoops, or names Marvel might want to use in the very distant future

They announced only 4 projects but these 4 projects are for 2023-2026, so expect atleast 2022-2024 live-action mcu projects tomorrow.

Edited by Factcheck

31 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i remember casually walking into the first Marvel films panel in a small room many years ago , Jon Favreau  and Edgar Wright were there with Kevin talking and showing off concept art , Stan may have been there too. There was even talk of the Avengers back then.

That was Hall H 2007. 

Also, our group is like 50 back from the front of the line for Hall H tomorrow 😂😂😂 Amazing the first group didn’t turn into 500 people. 

There are about to be some ANGRY people, cause the BlinkyBlinks are by the concert venue by the Marina on C, and the line goes to the Hyatt. 

I think people got a false sense of ease with Thursday and Friday being walk in all day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

That was Hall H 2007. 

Also, our group is like 50 back from the front of the line for Hall H tomorrow 😂😂😂 Amazing the first group didn’t turn into 500 people. 

incorrect i was there also when Favreau showed first footage of Iron Man in HALL H, before that they had panel at comic con , maybe marvel studios was not a thing yet,\

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

I think Feige will only announce D+ MCU shows tomorrow, movies announcement will be saved for D23.

Think we are getting something on Wakanda forever, shangchi sequel.

Fiege will want to live SDCC with a bang at least and announcing D+ shows alone would be sort of disappointing.

7 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Think we are getting something on Wakanda forever, shangchi sequel.

Fiege will want to live SDCC with a bang at least and announcing D+ shows alone would be sort of disappointing.

WF for sure but why would he announce Shangchi sequel before DP3, F4, CA4 & Thunderbolts?

5 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Also, gotta say it’s pretty weird that the first like… 7, 8, 8+(?) animation seasons from Marvel Studios aren’t even going to be MCU. If these follow the marvel studios tv quality so far I probably won’t even watch them since they don’t have any greater importance.

These Marvel studios animated shows not being set in the MCU is the best thing that could happen to them..Dont worry Lord Feige is still involved

15 minutes ago, Hades said:

These Marvel studios animated shows not being set in the MCU is the best thing that could happen to them..Dont worry Lord Feige is still involved

I’d rather he wasn’t, it’s a waste of time. Stretching yourself thin over an ambitious number of connected projects is one thing, but adding several unconnected projects on top of that seems like risk with no upside.   

For clarity — not necessarily saying these projects shouldn’t exist (maybe they’ll be perfectly enjoyable standalone things), just that they don’t really need much much time or involvement from the mcu architect considering there’s no connections to take care toward.

Edited by Legion and Thunder

7 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

I’d rather he wasn’t, it’s a waste of time. Stretching yourself thin over an ambitious number of connected projects is one thing, but adding several unconnected projects on top of that seems like risk with no upside.

Fair enough..I personally just want quality stuff  connected or not to the MCU..The connected stuff of late have been very mid  so...

maybe he should slow down on the connected stuff to ensure better products

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hades said:

Fair enough..I personally just want quality stuff  connected or not to the MCU..The connected stuff of late have been very mid  so...

maybe he should slow down on the connected stuff to ensure better products

Yeah, I think the quality of connected stuff needs to turn around ASAP. That should be Feige’s #1 focus for the next few years at least.   

I also like getting quality nonMCU shows, sure, but may as well use them as a proving ground for lieutenants and such.