Maggie

NOPE Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: Nope 44, Thor 22.1, Minions 17.71, Crawdads 10.3, TGM 10

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Chalamet is a major star. Oscar winner Kaluyaa being in BP and on Get Out is not a star, 2 of the biggest phenomenons movie at the box office, where people buy tickets is a less than a star than Millie Bobby Brown and Chakamet cause they take retweets from teens. 

I never said Kaluyaa is not a star. He was a bit part player in BP so being in that does not carry much. I have never seen an episode of Stranger Things but even I cant deny what a success the show is and Millie Bobby Brown is a hot property off that. I honestly have no idea what she is in next and what her salary is. I just dont think dismissing her because your upset about Kaluyaa only got 4M base salary is whiny and childish. He may well have some of the share of box office, I dont know.

Chalamet is a major star and is very popular. Dismissing both of these people because they are popular on social media is wrong. 

Edited by Ronin46

12 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I never said Kaluyaa is not a star. He was a bit part player in BP so being in that does not carry much. I have never seen an episode of Stranger Things but even I cant deny what a success the show is and Millie Bobby Brown is a hot property off that. I honestly have no idea what she is in next and what her salary is. I just dont think dismissing her because your upset about Kaluyaa only got 4M base salary is whiny and childish. He may well have some of the share of box office, I dont know.

Chalamet is a major star and is very popular. Dismissing both of these people because they are popular on social media is wrong. 

I like Chalamet but is not a major star at all. It's a rising star if we want to be good with him. For me right now it deserves for a movie with blockbuster appeal (like nope or wonka) the same Salary of Kaluuya. I shouldn't dismiss social networks but you shouldn't dismiss what kaluuya means for a certain audience after get out and winning an oscar and how  important  for Nope is having him in a Jordan Peele movie again.

If Chalamet and Kaluuya deserve the same salary for a typology of movie for me is of the "same kind" (nope and wonka) I confirm Millie Bobby Brown, with any real success or impactful movie on the big screen, doesn't deserves 10M for a movie at 18. Absolutely ridicolous, that's more than every salary until now than Margot Robbie or Saoirse Ronan. 

But i mean it's for a Netflix movie so maybe they have another scale, if they're happy to spend a ridicolous amount for a  tv teen star good for them. 

Edited by vale9001

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I like Chalamet but is not a major star at all. It's a rising star if we want to be good with him. For me right now it deserves for a movie with blockbuster appeal (like nope or wonka) the same Salary of Kaluuya. I shouldn't dismiss social networks but you shouldn't dismiss what kaluuya means for a certain audience after get out and winning an oscar and how  important  for Nope is having him in a Jordan Peele movie again.

If Chalamet and Kaluuya deserve the same salary for a typology of movie for me is of the "same kind" (nope and wonka) I confirm Millie Bobby Brown, with any real success or impactful movie on the big screen, doesn't deserves 10M for a movie at 18. Absolutely ridicolous, that's more than every salary until now than Margot Robbie or Saoirse Ronan. 

But i mean it's for a Netflix movie so maybe they have another scale, if they're happy to spend a ridicolous amount for a  tv teen star good for them. 

You feel the need to shit all over those other 2 to prop up someone else. I just said Kaluyaa was a bit part in BP. Thats the extent of what I said. Not that he is not a star or any such comparison.

They are projecting MBB is going to break out in movies I guess. Not the worst decision any studio has done.

Millie Bobby Brown had a streaming success with Enola Holmes, too, but her power as a box office draw is yet to be tested (Godzillas did alright but she wasn't the main pull).

Chalamet is, much like Florence Pugh, the "It" young actor who can alternate prestige projects with big budgeted movies, playing the main lead or, more rarely, a side character. Neither of the two have a defining box office success that can prove them to be real box office phenomenos (Dune did fairly well but just how much of it was due to the popularity of the book or to the rest of the star-studded cast is hard to know). 

Personally, I think that very few  young actors (under 40) have proven themselves to be worthy of a 10+ M investement. Who are those? Out of the actresses, first and foremost Scarlett Johansson  in the right role (see Lucy), then Keira Knightley in period pieces (though the last decade has not been very kind to her career) pheraps Soairse Ronan in mid-budget movies. Jennifer Lawrence used to be a big draw but it seems like things are not great for her right now; Emma Stone is a draw but she is going for very artsy projects (her collabs with Lanthimos, who is a real genious but not exactly a box office hero).  Then there is Emma Watson who is de facto retired and Kristen Stewart who always generates buzz around her films but usually has flops at the B.O. Zendaya is the most popular with teens right now, but can she make an impression on the older moviegoers? who knows. Last but not least, there is Margot Robbie, who has been box office poison so far but will likely get two big wins with Babylon and Barbie. 

As for the men... Tom Holland has a nice resumé  and seems to have a huge appeal when in action roles; Andrew Garfield can be a draw for middle-budget high profile movies, and Robert Pattinson is having some nice results as of late; then there is Zac Efron (who is in an endless list of flop, but still very well known internationally)....and that's about it.

None of those listed are comparable to Dicaprio, Cruise etc... nor will they ever be, probably. Scarlett Johansson is an international superstar and the best known young actor out of America, mainly due to having starred in a couple of Woody Allen's movies that were insanely popular in Europe even before she got to become Black Widow, which literally made her a living icon. Emma Watson is probably a close second.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

This talk about who earns more money and why is just boring and utterly tedious. It's the same thing in sports, if a club is willing to pay x amount, so be it.  It doesn't diminish the other player who "supposed to earn" more.

I rather point out the impressive and otherworldy achievement that TGM produced that @CaptNathanBrittles alluded to in the other thread. It was the 9th consecutive weekend for Maverick to post 10m+. That has never happeend in the history for a non James Cameron film.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

Me waiting for Eric to find this convo:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Also, let’s not pretend we don’t know why people preceive one as a star and one as not. Just keeping it 💯 here. So I think this conversation probably move on. 

5 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

I don’t think it’s that complicated, the movie just need to be decent and it unfortunately wasn’t. Thor in Ragnarok was also comedic but that film just did a better job of balancing humor and cool moments like everyone remembers the Immigrant Song finale, the Hulk fight, hell even the brief Dr Strange interlude was incredibly clever vs L&T didn’t have anything memorable in the latter category. 

If anything I think it shows how difficult it is to make Thor work in an Earth-centric story and maybe just the earth characters not being that interesting lol. Everyone’s given that a go and it just hasn’t really worked for anyone.. the consensus best Thor’s are ones where he spends 99% of his time in space interacting with other wacky space people like the Grandmaster or Guardians. Even in this one most people seem to think the Zeus bit was the best part. 

I'm skipping this one because I am not a fan of Natalie Portman's Jane. If anything, Ragnarok was fresh because it didn't have Jane to annoy us for half of the movie with her constant whining. 

For those of you who don't know, there is a movie trivia contest that is been posted in the main forum. Theres some really good prizes to anyone who tries to give it a go and chances are if you can answer probably half the questions you have a really good chance at winning. Here's the link to it.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Chalamet is the one they're trying hard to make happen and he will be big. He has the studios banking on him. His rival in his age group, Ansolo looks to have taken a break

Yes he has no competition in his age-group (20-30). 

So far he isn't really a  "star" though... Yougov data show that only about 54% of Americans know who he is; for comparison, Kaluuya is at 50%, Elgort at 41%, while Zac Efron is at 83% 🤣 Real stars like Jennifer Lawrence and Johansson both at around 90%, Watson 88%, Stone at 85%, Zendaya and Knightley at 71%. Needless to say, older stars like Pitt and Dicaprio both sit at 96%, while Cruise is at an impressive 98%!

2 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Dumb if true.

Going to VOD - paid purchase - 3 months after release is perfectly fine

Its putting it onto a platform for free that kneecaps the theatrical run (and doubly so by letting audiences know well in advance) 

• Like 1

The days of a traditional movie star are over, its all just IPs and interchangeable parts now. Not to mention I think its damn near impossible for any young actor/actress to have true 4 quad fame/fandom these days, the world is way too fractured with all the entertainment options and celebrities in general don't fascinate people the way they used to

28 minutes ago, Cap said:

Me waiting for Eric to find this convo:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Also, let’s not pretend we don’t know why people preceive one as a star and one as not. Just keeping it 💯 here. So I think this conversation probably move on. 

I sadly have a cold (kind of cold where you can still work and do normal stuff but still have huge sinus problems, the worst kind of cold), so a lot of this convo is a blur to me while I am dealing with DayQuil.

Either way, the whole "Is X a true star" is an argument that has gotten old as dirt. At the end of the day, actors get paid wayyyy too much to begin with and Chalamet, Kaluuya, and Bobby Brown are all mad talented and deserve the world.

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What did Universal pair with Nope?

Looks like Black Phone, based on a few drive-ins I checked.

Aw damn Eric, couldn't have let me have this one 😢

Edited by datpepper