Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

5 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Crazy thing is that as awful as the drop in japan is, it's still gonna make similar amount as nwh in local currency over there

If you start to comps James Cameron with a superhero film in Japan,then it means he is really forgotten in Japan

Edited by Sophia Jane

38 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

I don't think Cameron is a brand in Japan the way Tom Cruise is. Titanic was a freak of nature and Avatar a similar case, though smaller in scale. 

Even his Terminator 2 become the great hit in Japan(T2 is 3rd highest grossing film of all-time in Japan at that time,better performance than Avatar 1)

True Lies also 2nd highest grossing film of the year in Japan.

James Cameron is the real legend in Japan but he is forgotten,that’s two different things.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Even his Terminator 2 become the great hit in Japan(T2 is 3rd highest grossing film of all-time in Japan at that time,better performance than Avatar 1)

I know Terminator 2 success, just not from the current BO record list. Anyway, Terminator 2 was more terminator + never before seen VFX global phenomena. Avatar later similarly with 3D. Taiwan was part of all three of Cameron's global victories, but we didn't go see it because of James Cameron. In my opinion, Japanese were the same way. When Avatartwo didn't really offer any significant visual spectacle upgrade/revolution, Cameron's name won't pull Japanese into theaters in drove.   

Edited by teard1972

15 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

I know Terminator 2 success, just not from the current BO record list. Anyway, Terminator 2 was more terminator + never before seen VFX global phenomena. Avatar later similarly with 3D. Taiwan was part of all three of Cameron's global victories, but we didn't go see it because of James Cameron. In my opinion, Japanese were the same way. When Avatartwo didn't really offer any significant visual spectacle upgrade/revolution, Cameron's name won't pull Japanese into theaters in drove.   

you can’t ignore many people recognized James Cameron’s movie is the symbol of good movie.

27 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

If someone who lives in Japan could hit the streets and interview people about why AVATAR 2 failed there that would be great.

One of the easiest conclusion is 3D isn't as popular as back in 2010-2012. &2ndly is Disney+, but, still a huge success for Post-CoVid-19 Disney getting 1st ¥4B!! in 2023!!.

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

One of the easiest conclusion is 3D isn't as popular as back in 2010-2012. &2ndly is Disney+, but, still a huge success for Post-CoVid-19 Disney getting 1st ¥4B!! in 2023!!.

For a normal movie 4B is great success but this is James cameron

On top of other factors already mentioned, Avatar 2 also faced a lot more competition than the first film did in Japan. It had to contend with 3 uber-blockbuster local animated films (all of which will gross between ¥10-20 billion) still going strong at the time of its release. 

On 1/30/2023 at 8:19 PM, Psylocke said:

Basically Japan is the worst market for Avatar 2. Is there another country that is the worst for Avatar 2 or just Japan?

That's a good question and it's only because there's a huge film  going on right nowthere and it took so long to get the sequel up and going.. A2 should help  reignite the fans in japan  🔥.  So a3 should pull in more original  like numbers when it comes out if all goes well.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Update

43 minutes ago, Moses said:

I think domestic also performed below expectations. 

I can't find any reason why A2 didn't achieve at least NWH numbers.

Below expectations, whose expectations. Why should it have matched NWH numbers? The reason NWH had those numbers isn't quality of the movie which was very good it was the novelty of seeing all of the Spider-Mans.

I'm sorry but domestic performance has been fantastic, no other way to slice it. Only 3rd movie ever to hit 5 multi after opening over 75M.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1