Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like @Ronin46 will win our Bullet Train O/U 40m DOM bet.

So I'll be gone till September. :jeb!:

I think I will let this slide. Its not much of a bet then or now really. Hopefully we get a 40M OW and 130m domestic total and a good fun movie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I would say her name recognition maybe isn't as strong as like Zendaya, Timothee or Tom Holland but if you mention who she played in some movies, everyone basically knows who you're talking about. I think she'll break out even further with Don't Worry Darling and Dune II obviously. I'm not sure name recognition even means that much cause like I'm sure everyone on earth recognizes the name Benedict Cumberbatch but if you ask them to name a movie he was in that's not Marvel.. they'd probably draw a total blank. 

Also you can't judge stars of today by the standards of 90's stars like Julia, Tom, Denzel, etc. People don't go to the movies as much now and everything's on streaming, so box office drawing power just isn't as much of a thing. You just need to be smart and attach yourself to a strong franchise/brand. 

The imitation game is a very popular movie (800k votes in imdb) and the series Sherlock was a huge success, in the UK in particolar for what i remembers was the most watched series of the decade. So no he's not famous only for being Doctor strange. 

Florence Pugh is not a movie star and she's not famous like him.

It's not true movie stars are something from the past. Emma Stone is a movie star. Because after a cute cult movie (easy a) she was the main actress in huge box office hits like the help, in the best picture winner birdman and in the 40M budget and 500M at the box office  la la land. So they choose her to carry an entire disney live action movie. These are movie stars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

90 M in 40+ countries, at a time where inflaction is at a record high in most of the big markets (Eu above all), with ticket prices at the absolute highest. Yes, no one saw the film internationally (hyperbole for : very few people know who the heck Austin Butler is).

Do you know how many spectators the movie had in Italy (60 M population?) 380K, which is basically nothing. Other EU countries have similiar stats, some better, some worse. 

As for Pugh, yes sure people online talking about midsommer definetely make her a star 🤣 Yet according to YouGov USA, only 47% of the people know her name, and only 30% actually has a positive opinion on her.

The delusion on this board is something to behold.

I’m happy to say I’ve no idea what YouGov USA is lol. 

Elvis has been huge here in the UK, £18.4m and counting. 

2 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I agree. Hopefully they stop it for next weekend. 

If BT opens over 40M, Joey King and ATJ star power confirmed! :lol:

psst it's all Bad Bunny powah.

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's not true movie stars are something from the past. Emma Stone is a movie star. Because after a cute cult movie (easy a) she was the main actress in huge box office hits like the help, in the best picture winner birdman and in the 40M budget and 500M at the box office  la la land. So they choose her to carry an entire disney live action movie. These are movie stars. 

Yes Emma Stone is a good example of someone who became a star/box office pull in this day and age. She has had the perfect career trajectory so far, going from hit comedies to oscar winning dramas to big blockbusters all while landing an iconic role (LA LA LAND) which will likely stick in popular culture for a very long time, much like Kidman's Satine from Moulin Rouge. It helps that she is the most versatile young actress out there and probably one of the most talented american actresses ever. 

I think Margot Robbie will be the next actress to achieve worldwide stardom once Babylon and Barbie come out.

Here are the objective draws/stars:

Leonardo DiCaprio

Sandra Bullock

Channing Tatum

Lady Gaga is next-tier

DRAW POTENTIAL BUT INCONSISTENT:

Tom Hanks

The Kevin Hart/Dwayne Johnson draw power has vanished I think. Hart has become a Netflix guy and Dwayne has always been a bit overrated since he relies on IPs a lot.. I would still have him in the next tier Gaga level.

Melissa McCarthy is over.

Will Smith has an argument for the Hanks category.

I'd have Rogen in the Hanks category but he's VERY inconsistent. Ditto Brad Pitt. In fact, there's a lot of movie stars in this range like Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell

I don't really believe Cruise himself is a draw. The times he relied on himself and not a brand/franchise were... American Made? Jack Reacher to some extent?

TGM is definitely more Cruise (in the right role) than just TG nostalgia. He opens in action movies cause he does crazy stunts himself so people show up for that. He lost the appetite for different genre so we won't know if he still has it in him outside of tested action. Unlike Leo who opens anything and regardless how he looks. Everyone else hits the gym to stay relevant.

• Like 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

TGM is definitely more Cruise (in the right role) than just TG nostalgia. He opens in action movies cause he does crazy stunts himself so people show up for that. He lost the appetite for different genre so we won't know if he still has it in him outside of tested action. Unlike Leo who opens anything and regardless how he looks. Everyone else hits the gym to stay relevant.

I Am Dead Singing GIF by Paramount+

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

When I was at the theater in June, I overheard the manager talk about how he refuses to watch Top Gun because he hates Tom Cruise

Leo definitely has a good eye for projects, but what i've noticed, he seems to rely, of course on great directors and i also noticed most of his movies are based on books. I think it's easier to make a great project if the source material is amazing. So, the path to success is great directors and great source material. He has few original movies

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Here are the objective draws/stars:

Leonardo DiCaprio

Sandra Bullock

Channing Tatum

Lady Gaga is next-tier

DRAW POTENTIAL BUT INCONSISTENT:

Tom Hanks

The Kevin Hart/Dwayne Johnson draw power has vanished I think. Hart has become a Netflix guy and Dwayne has always been a bit overrated since he relies on IPs a lot.. I would still have him in the next tier Gaga level.

Melissa McCarthy is over.

Will Smith has an argument for the Hanks category.

I'd have Rogen in the Hanks category but he's VERY inconsistent. Ditto Brad Pitt. In fact, there's a lot of movie stars in this range like Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell

I don't really believe Cruise himself is a draw. The times he relied on himself and not a brand/franchise were... American Made? Jack Reacher to some extent?

Tatum’s not a draw at all, he’s been in nothing but bombs lately outside of jump street, lost city and Dog. B. Coop is way more of a draw than him and i’d hesitate to even put him in that category.

Also, Cruise’s draw power from ‘86-2005 is still unparalleled - Rain Man was the highest grossing film of ‘88, and Interview with a Vampire broke the R rated opening weekend record.

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

When I was at the theater in June, I overheard the manager talk about how he refuses to watch Top Gun because he hates Tom Cruise

Just like my mom lol.

I always think WAG's issue is that it's relying far too much on existing WB IP, I'm not against it but they do need to branch out into original films again. 

Unlike certain posters who tend to freak out all the time, I have no problems with WB letting DC to be used outside of live action films. I really hope the animated Metal Men film happens because that's a concept that lends itself to animation.