Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (8/12-14) | Estimates: Train 13.4, Pets 7.17, TGM 7.15, Thor 5.31, Nope 5.3 | Bodies 3.25, Fall 2.5, Laal Singh 1.8, Mack 1.09, E.T. 1.07

Fall with a fine for horror B Cinemascore and 70% on RT with critics, they could’ve pushed this one a bit harder. What’s the theatre count, 1500? 

Disappointing for Bodies Bodies Bodies, I would call it a GenZ meltdown, not a millennial meltdown though. 

Not sure Bullet Train had any excuse dropping -58% on such a dead weekend. 

• Like 1

Saw Bullet Train last night.

I really enjoyed it. No idea frankly why this isn't playing as a super fun action set piece film. I will say the trailer wasn't great and it got caught between deciding it was an ensemble film (which is when it was at its best) versus a Brad Pitt-specific starring vehicle (when it was weaker). But it was a lot of fun, there was frolic and enjoyment all around and it's what I wanted from two hours in a cinema. Some of the commentary I've seen though just seems way, way off what the film was trying to do so maybe there is a little confusion of what the film is. But, yeah, I think this one should pick up fans along the way if people give it good WOM. Not great so far though.

This has to be one of the worst and most boring weekend of the year. 

At least next weekend we have Beast and Dragon Ball which are 5x times more promising than this shit-filled weekend. 

Edited by p a p i

1 hour ago, p a p i said:

At least next weekend we have Beast and Dragon Ball which are 5x times more promising than this shit-filled weekend. 

Boring?
There is a movie that is making records constantly since its premiere and it´s something that doesn´t happen very often.
Maybe for you the only interesting thing in BO tracking is when a movie makes 200 M or more in it´s first weekend, but there are much more subjects to be interested about in BO, and for sure the TGM is all less boring for me and i think for others members in this forum.

20 minutes ago, setna said:

Boring?
There is a movie that is making records constantly since its premiere and it´s something that doesn´t happen very often.
Maybe for you the only interesting thing in BO tracking is when a movie makes 200 M or more in it´s first weekend, but there are much more subjects to be interested about in BO, and for sure the TGM is all less boring for me and i think for others members in this forum.

And it's on his path to 700m.

23 minutes ago, setna said:

Boring?

No to all this assumption fest. 

I'm sorry but not invested on if TGM crosses 700M or not. It's already a historical success and if it crosses 700M I will celebrate. But I don't really think about it that much anymore. When it happens, it happens. 

And Yes, horribly boring. Mack & Rita making less 2M, Fall also, Bodies Bodies Bodies doesn't seem to be a breakout. Boring movies with bad to ok performances. Mostly a dumping yard that won't get in the Top 10 except BBB. Bullet Train 2nd Weekend drop does look to be quite big. Let's see. And just holdovers remaining. 

And next weekend I see potential with Beast and Dragon Ball like I said which makes really excited and none of them is opening to 200M. But nice try. 

Summmary: A awfully slow weekend, with studios trying to take advantage of it with movies with bare marketing and that no one really cares and that the studios probably don't either or have no confidence. And the lack of new releases and those few releases not performing as well as they should is sad. 

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE. 

August 2023 does look MUCH better and MAYBE this August just suffered from VFX backlog. 

And the next few weeks do have stronger movies releasing. 

Maybe BodiesBB comes with some really good holds in the coming weeks also. 

Edited by p a p i
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, p a p i said:

No to all this assumption fest. 

I'm sorry but not invested on if TGM crosses 700M or not. It's already a historical success and if it crosses 700M its I will celebrate. But I don't really think about it that much anymore. When it happens, it happens. 

And Yes, horribly boring. Mack & Rita making less 2M, Fall also, Bodies Bodies Bodies doesn't seem to be a breakout. Boring movies with bad to ok performances. Mostly a dumping yard that won't get in the Top 10 except BBB. Bullet Train 2nd Weekend drop does look to be quite big. Let's see. And just holdovers remaining. 

And next weekend I see potential with Beast and Dragon Ball like I said which makes really excited and none of them is opening to 200M. But nice try. 

Summmary: A awfully slow weekend, with studios trying to take advantage of it with movies with bare marketing and that no one really cares and that the studios probably don't either or have no confidence. And the lack of new releases and those few releases not performing as well as they should is sad. 

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE. 

August 2023 does look MUCH better and MAYBE this August just suffered from VFX backlog. 

And the next few weeks do have stronger movies releasing. 

Maybe BodiesBB comes with some really good holds in the coming weeks also. 

looks like ppl only love big opening Weeknd anything above 200+ ow is only remarkable when it comes to box office and records.

• Like 1

Not that the results will be significantly better, but expecting these Deadline weekend estimates to wind up too low. IMO, they’re not adjusting enough for schools starting up, producing a lower Friday followed by a larger Sat increase. I’ve got BT around $13.5M (+50% Sat) Bodies at $3.2M (-10-15% from full Fri) from their Friday estimates. And those could even be too low 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p a p i said:

I mean, January was essentially an empty month besides Scream, with the next highest OWs being The 355 ($4.6M) and Redeeming Love ($3.5M), with the 1/21 and 1/28 weekends netting $42M and $31M in total respectively

We’re not quite to that level here (but may be end of August into September)

2 hours ago, p a p i said:

I think the weekend of January 21,2022 is worse to be honest.

This is a downer. 

After X, Men and now Bodies Bodies Bodies, A24 might have to rethink going wide with horror. 

X is my second favourite film of the year. I wasn’t a fan of Men, but I’m dying to see Bodies Bodies Bodies.  

22 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

BULLET TRAIN ain't making $100m.

I wouldn’t be so sure. 
There is NOTHING coming up in competition until like October. 
it also lost IMAX shows to ET and TGM this weekend, so it was always expected to drop pretty hefty. It can stabilize from here and have late legs like many, many films this year have. 

3M+ for Bodies Bodies Bodies in 1,285 theaters sounds fine to me? It's above projections, and is on par with Men which was in 2,212 theaters. Getting that in way less locations isn't insane, but pretty decent, and another theater increase next week should get the movie to about on par with X.

7 minutes ago, Eric the Extra-Terrestrial said:

3M+ for Bodies Bodies Bodies in 1,285 theaters sounds fine to me? It's above projections, and is on par with Men which was in 2,212 theaters. Getting that in way less locations isn't insane, but pretty decent, and another theater increase next week should get the movie to about on par with X.

That’s the thing though, will it even expand next weekend? 

Can’t wait to see the film. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

That’s the thing though, will it even expand next weekend? 

Can’t wait to see the film. 

Could have sworn that there was an article that mentioned the movie would go to 1,200 locations, then to 2,000+

• Thanks 1