Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (8/12-14) | Estimates: Train 13.4, Pets 7.17, TGM 7.15, Thor 5.31, Nope 5.3 | Bodies 3.25, Fall 2.5, Laal Singh 1.8, Mack 1.09, E.T. 1.07

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

is this song in Bodies Bodies Bodies?

No but Azealia Banks' 212 is prominently played. It's that kind of movie. It's fun, but not worthy of its reviews. I wonder if A24 sends critics some of their overpriced merch (that probably cost $4 to make)? 

18 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

8/14/21:8/21/21 —

JC +53/58

old 42/49

Stillwater 49/49

BW 47/56

TGK 33/22

er2 34/45

snake eyes 65/60

avg 46.1/48.4

1.5% stronger 

That’s not nothing the difference in sats is really pretty gradual until the final wknd of aug (or maybe penultimate on some calendars).  

I could actually use some strong sats for pets and Easter though, so let’s see how it all  shakes out 😂

The issue with looking at the whole slate, especially last year with a weaker July and stronger August release schedule, is that it includes titles that were losing volume fairly rapidly, impacting grossing potential on both Friday and Saturday, depending on the type of movie, throwing off the ratio. (4 of the titles for your 8/13 data sample lost 1000+ theaters that week) Think its better to focus on titles holding enough volume week to week to see the underlying trend

Title = 7-31 / 8-7 / 8-14 / 8-21

JC = OW / +47 / +53 / +58

Old = +26 / +40 / +42 / +49

BW = +31 / +42 / +47 / +56

This year (7/30 & 8/06)

Nope = +24 / +34

Thor = +37 / +45

TGM = +40 / +50

Minions = +25 / +33

I'm expecting Sat increases to be 5-8% better than last week (and conversely Sunday to drop a few % more), except for probably TGM with PLF acting like a new release

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

JOHN WICK 2 had a much better second weekend drop, didn't drop above 50% until its 6th weekend and it stalled at $92m.

John Wick 2 was pre pandemic. 

Many of the films in the past 6 months that had crazy great late legs wouldn’t have pre pandemic. It’s the lack of releases helping a lot of these movies, and as everyone on here has been pointing out, the next 4-6 weeks will be dismal for new releases. 

again, not saying 100 million is a sure thing, but I wouldn’t could it out just yet, and certainly not based on comparisons to pre pandemic films. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

A $2,700 PTA is solid for the type of movie it is and it's unlikely to be dropped for a while with how quiet it's looking to be on the new release front for the next month (Dragon Ball, Beast, and The Invitation are perhaps the only movies with double digits opening potential), so I wouldn't rule out solid legs by default like everything else seems destined to enjoy over these next several weeks.

I’m not too sure about that. I was expecting some “dead competition” legs to kick in this weekend and they haven’t materialised. 

Super Pets has never stabilised. Bullet Train is falling quite big considering there’s nothing else. Nope is only just now having a sub 50% drop. 

I think these Friday numbers show that audiences aren’t checking out what’s already in release, just because nothing notable came out. They’re just not going this weekend. 

We’ll see what happens to Super Pets and Bullet Train next weekend. 

• Like 2

ET took in a half a million dollars on Friday which means it should do over a million for the weekend. I remember seeing it for his 20th anniversary in 2002 and I'm definitely going to go tomorrow night to see it as well for its 40th. It's one of my all-time favorites and it'll be good to see it on the big screen again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m not too sure about that. I was expecting some “dead competition” legs to kick in this weekend and they haven’t materialised. 

Super Pets has never stabilised. Bullet Train is falling quite big considering there’s nothing else. Nope is only just now having a sub 50% drop. 

I think these Friday numbers show that audiences aren’t checking out what’s already in release, just because nothing notable came out. They’re just not going this weekend. 

We’ll see what happens to Super Pets and Bullet Train next weekend. 

For Super Pets I think they already stabilised. The legs so far have been quite similar to Minions 2, it dropped 41.8% third weekend, what is also around the same Bad Guys dropped in its third weekend and around what Super Pets will do tomorrow. Next weekend is when holds get stronger, but so far the legs are fine for what it is.

Was Bullet Train the most shoved down our throats movie of the Summer? I had to start pulling my phone out every time they played that trailer. They should have used Sandra Bullock in the marketing. I know it's just a cameo but she's a bigger draw than Pitt. 

Sony clearly expected much more from Bullet Train. It will end with like 90M DOM and 210-220M WW or so. In a 90M budget with such a big marketing campaign, that is quite weak.

Just wanted to say I thought Nope was genuinely something special, I think we were gushing about it for nearly 2 hours after the screening ended. The craftsmanship on display was outstanding and the sheer simplicity and structure of it harkens back to films of a different era. It's really Jaws/Close Encounters/Signs for a new generation, I was absolutely engrossed. The IMAX photography was gorgeous, check it out in the format if you can, best sound design of the year so far as well. 

This and Top Gun: Maverick have really driven home what the big screen experience means this year.

• Like 4

I saw Bullet Train today. One of the most entertaining movies of the year. I am legit curious on what caused the mixed reviews. The cast was terrific and the cameos were top notch. I legit died laughing with a particular cameo reveal near the end. The movie moves at a very fast pace and the final act delivers a fantastic big setpiece.

• Like 1