Flopped

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Barbarian 10M, Brahmastra 4.4, Bullet Train 3.25, TGM 3.2, Pets 2.8

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Deadline says Barbarian hit 10M

https://deadline.com/2022/09/box-office-barbarian-brahmastra-part-one-shiva-1235114007/

They also say Woman King is tracking for 13-16M while Don't Worry Darling is nearing 20M in tracking.

I think both could beat tracking.

Woman King has a strong Rotten Tomatoes meter and is a big war/action epic with female appeal.

Don't Worry Darling has bad reviews but a lot of buzz, genre high concept, stars, and again more female appeal.

#WEEKEND

Bullet Train - $3.25M / $92.54M

Top Gun - $3.17M / $705.65M

Super-Pets - $2.83M / $85.42M

Invitation - $2.62M / $18.85M

No Way Home - $1.30M / $813.35M

Crawdads - $1.20M / $87.89M

Mediaeval - $810K 

Elvis - $500K / $150.29M

Honk - $365K / $2.40M

Orphan - $300K / $5.08M

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Pets doing over 21x Wed is full insano mode.   

Maybe weekdays were depressed by cinema day burning demand, or something?

Is this out of the norm for when kids movies are now in the school season? Because that sounds right. This isn't me trying to say you're wrong, I'm legit curious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

Is this out of the norm for when kids movies are now in the school season? Because that sounds right. This isn't me trying to say you're wrong, I'm legit curious.

While kids movies have higher multipliers relative to weekdays outside of summer, that level of multiplier is definitely out of the norm. For comparison, the Paw Patrol movie from last year did 10.2x Wednesday during the same weekend. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Pets doing over 21x Wed is full insano mode.   

Maybe weekdays were depressed by cinema day burning demand, or something?

Well, it won’t get quite that high, unless WB knows something about Sunday (-20% ???) that we don’t 

I do wonder if the digital release shaves off more from the weekday audience than weekend, throwing off the ratio (edit) in that parents of non-school age kids can just watch at home rather than going to the theater, while the weekend crowd is more inclined to want to go do something 

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we're all underestimating Don't Worry Darling. I remember when I first started making tik toks (over a year and a half ago at this point), a weirdly high number of comments on my page were about "hopefully movie theatres are open by the time DWD comes out!"

This definitely has big teen/young adult appeal. Bad reviews won't matter much on opening weekend (heck, it has a higher RT score than Dominion), and the recent drama has only brought it closer to the public's attention. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless WOM is just toxic, it's going to have a 25/65 type run.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Woman King has a strong Rotten Tomatoes meter and is a big war/action epic with female appeal.

Don't Worry Darling has bad reviews but a lot of buzz, genre high concept, stars, and again more female appeal.

But will those audiences rush out for OW? 

I can see Woman King hitting weekends similar to Crawdads, but without the summer/holiday bumps, say a $15M OW but still finishing in $50-$60M range (3x the opening week) if not higher 

41 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Agreed. WK targets very underserved audience and they tend to come out in full force when something for them finally comes along.  DWD has buzz where the off screen drama is driving curiosity. It's a dead month so whatever looks like a worthy trip to cinema will beat tracking.