Flopped

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Barbarian 10M, Brahmastra 4.4, Bullet Train 3.25, TGM 3.2, Pets 2.8

53 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Why are there so few new movies in the marketplace? Feels like it's 2020 again. Barbarian is facing off against...nothing from the last couple of weeks and nothing this week. 

COVID related delays in production limited the amount of film product available for release. Summer was more like normal, but calendar is very light for the rest of this year (and so dependent on the tentpoles to hit)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, M37 said:

COVID related delays in production limited the amount of film product available for release. Summer was more like normal, but calendar is very light for the rest of this year (and so dependent on the tentpoles to hit)

2019 had 140+ wide releases. Right now 2023 has around 85. The problem isn't just the production issues, it is the fact many movies that would be theatrical are now exclusive to streaming (Thirteen Lives, Hocus Pocus 2, Prey, Disenchanted, Pinochio, Peter Pan & Wendy, Samaritan, Red One, Red Notice, Scorsese's next movie, Knives Out franchise, Brad Pitt's F1 movie, Matthew Vaughn's big new action franchise, between many others that became streaming exclusives).

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

2019 had 140+ wide releases. Right now 2022 has around 85. The problem isn't just the production issues, it is the fact many movies that would be theatrical are now exclusive to streaming (Thirteen Lives, Hocus Pocus 2, Prey, Disenchanted, Pinochio, Peter Pan & Wendy, Samaritan, Red One, Red Notice, Scorsese's next movie, between many others that became streaming exclusives).

That’s a fair point, but would also attribute at least some of it to a hangover effect from pandemic, in that at some of these would have had a theatrical run if not for uncertainty in BO and everyone trying to pump up their streaming brand to fill the void 

The primary point being while there may very well be fewer releases overall in years to come, don’t expect it to be on this level of scarcity in the leaner months 

• Like 1

Based on the comments, I’m going to have to let the Mrs drag me to see Barbarian, aren’t I? (She’s a horror fan, will watch anything, while I am far more discerning; a self-proclaimed horror snob)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

My (relatively small? 30-people) audience seemed to really enjoy the first two acts of Barbarian. But, like me, they weren't very big fans of the last act. 

Yeah, last act does fizzle a bit once you get a proper idea of everything. Do wish they took it to more insane levels there. Like, it doesn't match the last act of Malignant (where the movie just goes full blown insanity once it tells you everything).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Not even remotely heard of this film. Just seen the trailer and looks like something I would watch. 

Seems a lot of location for a movie with basically no footprint whatsoever. 

Only time I saw any marketing was when I saw the trailer for Medieval in front of Bullet Train. It looked alright, but it seems from reviews it's nothing all that special.