YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

2 hours ago, Eric the Creator said:

At this rate, studios should just make more YT/Twitter-friendly trailers that allow for better compression. Don't know how, but this is just unfair for the animators and filmmakers who put all this effort into these movies.

Youtube Premium added a "1080p Premium bitrate" feature, but don't know why movie studios rarely use it. Heck, I don't know why in 2023 only Warner and Lionsgate upload their trailers in 4k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

There's a 4k trailer on YouTube, really does give a much better idea of the watercolor effect they're going for

Yeah that looks a bit better. I just think I may not be a fan of this art style though. It has an odd flatness to it for CG animation, yet lacks the natural artistic charm of hand drawn. I feel like it’s missing the best qualities of both. Just having a hard time adjusting to it. 

• Like 2

I'm probably going end up watching this movie, and I'm probably going to end up liking it fine for what it is. But ultimately the whole thing kind of reminds me of a faberge egg-- beautiful on the outside, but with a hollow center. But my feelings about Wish are more complicated than that alone can express. 

It was Walt Disney himself, after all, who said "You can't top pigs with pigs" after his follow-ups to his short The Three Little Pigs weren't well-received. Walt was a risk-taker, and while a lot of the things he did have since become standard and formulaic, they were pretty daring at the time, and they didn't always work out. Not many people would have spent so much money on an idea like Fantasia, for example. I bring that up because this movie is meant to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Disney as a company. And much as I rag on modern-day Disney for being uncreative, I deeply respect old-school Disney for the risks it took. 

The issue I have is that if they really wanted to do something significant for the company's hundredth anniversary, I feel like they should have gone back to their roots and done something utterly unprecedented and creative. Something as astonishing in this day and age as Snow White was in 1937. But from what I'm seeing in the trailers, that's not what Wish is. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

6 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I feel like they should have gone back to their roots and done something utterly unprecedented and creative.

OK what do you think that looks like?

I don't think it actually matters, what they release on an arbitrary year that happens to be the 100th anniversary.

14 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

I feel like they should have gone back to their roots and done something utterly unprecedented and creative.

This is apparently their first* fairy tale movie that isn't based on a pre-existing property. They pushed the boundary with mediums and visual styles; The current one may not be to everyone's taste, but it is fitting with the legacy of the studio.

(Not to be confused with the idea of their first original Disney Princess movie. I guess that was Raya, but calling that a fairy tale is a stretch. )

[*Arguably second, depends on how you categorize Moana being based off of Pacific Island origin stories]

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Youtube Premium added a "1080p Premium bitrate" feature, but don't know why movie studios rarely use it. Heck, I don't know why in 2023 only Warner and Lionsgate upload their trailers in 4k

1080p Premium does almost nothing for the trailer on the WDAS account. It looks a little bit sharper, but a lot of the detail is still lost compared to the 4K trailer or even the teaser on Disney+.

• Like 1

I guess another reason I'm not as excited about Wish as I might otherwise be is because I worry about what its success will signal for Disney in the long run. When The Little Mermaid came out in 1989, Disney proceeded to make nothing but movies based off that same template for the next decade until people were sick of them. And when you're doing the same thing often enough for a parody like this to work, you know you're overdue for a change. And if Wish is as successful as The Little Mermaid, chances are it's going to set off a similar trend, and cause the studio to be similarly reluctant to branch out. In other words, enjoy Wreck-it Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia while you can, because it's probably going to be a while before we get more movies like them. 

23 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I guess another reason I'm not as excited about Wish as I might otherwise be is because I worry about what its success will signal for Disney in the long run. When The Little Mermaid came out in 1989, Disney proceeded to make nothing but movies based off that same template for the next decade until people were sick of them. And when you're doing the same thing often enough for a parody like this to work, you know you're overdue for a change. And if Wish is as successful as The Little Mermaid, chances are it's going to set off a similar trend, and cause the studio to be similarly reluctant to branch out. In other words, enjoy Wreck-it Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia while you can, because it's probably going to be a while before we get more movies like them. 

...2 of them came out AFTER the huge success of frozen?

Edited by JustLurking

Yes, but they also preceded Strange World, which seemed like it was it was being set up as their next "non-musical adventure movie" but was a massive flop. So I have a sneaking suspicion that might have scared them away from movies that don't follow their standard musical formula for the time being. 

I'm sorry but the argument here is of Wish, the movie people are complaining about taking tooany liberties with the art style, is successful, they will do...less different things?

Yes, because that's how Disney has operated in the past. They try something, and if it works, they keep doing it until it stops being successful. It's been that way with animated movies, the MCU, Star Wars, the live-action remakes, you name it. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

11 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Yes, but they also preceded Strange World, which seemed like it was it was being set up as their next "non-musical adventure movie" but was a massive flop. So I have a sneaking suspicion that might have scared them away from movies that don't follow their standard musical formula for the time being. 

Nah, maybe if it was something that looked like more of a hit, but realistically SW was a stinker and got dumped by Disney. It's also animated sci-fi which has never worked (in fact all of disney's attempts on this genre tanked lol).

They'll still make more animated princess films I'm sure but this narrative is really weird imho. Especially because WDAS was in a much bigger slump before Tangled (and then the massive hit of Frozen), their current slump in comparison is nothing. Like, try and think about WDAS' 2000s lol Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Meet the robinsons, home in the range chicken little?? That shit was DIRE. That whole decade had like...lilo&stitch and then a pletora of flops.

(though fwiw, out of these 3 you mentioned I only really liked Zootopia)

Edited by JustLurking