Eric Quinn

MaXXXine | July 5, 2024 | A24 | The next follow-up to the movies X and Pearl

9 hours ago, Insomnia said:

I know this is asking a lot but....

Is there even a slight chance this beats Civil War for A24's biggest opening? It seems buzzy.

I know it’s really buzzy online, but so were X and Pearl, so I think an opening under $10m is likely, but still opening to more than double the previous two. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Insomnia said:

I know this is asking a lot but....

Is there even a slight chance this beats Civil War for A24's biggest opening? It seems buzzy.

Shawn has the movie opening at 7.5m. Just checking my local Cinemark it has 5 tickets sold for opening day and is playing in the smaller auditoriums.  Which is very similar to what I saw for Bikeriders.  

https://boxofficetheory.com/5-week-box-office-forecast-deadpool-wolverine-182m-and-twisters-71m-tracking-to-become-a-mega-summer-combo/

• Like 1

The reactions are good overall but there’s definitely quite a few disappointed 

Not anything super bad, but falling in the okayish category 

I think this will be more mixed than the previous. Low 70’s on MC / +80% on RT imo

20 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It's ok to admit that X was excellent and Pearl was great and Maxxxine is a bit of a clunker. 

You’re relationship with this movie is getting weird lol. 

It’s clearly more divisive than the previous movies, what else do you want people to say?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flopped said:

It's coasting on the strength of X and especially Pearl. Maxxxine falls flat. 

It's ok to admit that X was excellent and Pearl was great and Maxxxine is a bit of a clunker. 

Oh give it a rest. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I loved Pearl, didn't care for X. Hope this is not too bad

X: 4/5 

Pearl: 4.5/5

MaXXXine: 2/5 

Pearl showed a lot of sensitivity towards the title character. It had a woman's hand and you could tell. Maybe Mia should have co-written MaXXXine too. It's overstuffed with ideas and references that don't coalesce. If you strip away the A24 logo and the fact that it's the finale of the X/Pearl saga and look at it on its own merits, it's basically a big budget feature version of a V/H/S segment. It's full of empty one liners about how it's hard for a woman in Hollywood etc etc that have no real weight or insight, like the script itself. You could tell a man wrote it and when it's such a female-centric story, that's not good. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Just saw it and enjoyed it, agree with it being the “weakest” of the three but it’s still good. Mia Goth is great as expected.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

Kinda hilarious that the police helicopter at the end had a front row seat to her completely decimating someone’s head with a shotgun in cold blood despite repeated warnings for her to put the weapon down, but she apparently gets away with it and becomes a Hollywood icon 😂 

Edited by SnokesLegs