Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (10/14-16) | Weekend Estimates: Halloween Ends 40.05, Smile 12.6, Lyle 7.3, Woman King 3.7, Amsterdam 2.8

https://deadline.com/2022/10/box-office-halloween-ends-1235144913/

Universal’s release of Blumhouse, Miramax and Trancas’ Halloween Ends saw a Thursday night of $5.4M from 3,200 theaters. Showtimes began at 5PM. That figure is +11% from last year’s Halloween Kills‘ previews which were $4.85M.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wow, color me surprised lol. I would still say 50 is still going to be tough, previews started 2 hours earlier than Kills, and WOM appears to be awful.

Yeah, I’m still on 8-9x range, so bumping up from low/mid $40s to mid/high $40M, but still under $50M 

The shift from 7pm Thursday start to 5pm probably helps a movie like Halloween more than it would appear at first glance, not because of the added gross from 5-7p, but because it allows for a higher show rate from 8p-10p, where it really feasts 

• Like 1

If it manages to come close to Kills despite the bad taste that movie left in everyone's mouths (and the reviews/reactions for this one not being much better), the simultaneous release, and there already being a horror breakout on the market (Smile), that would be nothing but very good news for them IMO (though it's bound to profitable in no time thanks to the budget being so low).

• Like 2

Legitimately shocked by that preview number. I'm upgrading my prediction from a sub-$40M weekend to a mid-$40M one. Our tracking guys gut the rug pulled from right under them. I'm not popping the champagne just yet though, as this is shaping up to be the Batman v Superman of the horror genre. Sub-40 has a chance still.

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a very good start. 

$43-45m maybe I’ll guess.

Seeing the film in IMAX later, going in with low expectations now and have remained unspoiled. 

MY MAN.

julia stiles yes GIF by Ovation TV

• Like 1

Kind warning to people, there is a particular sequence (and this isn't a spoiler) where it's really photosensitive and I would definitely urge people who are sensitive to know. It lasts for about 30 seconds. 

I think Universal/ theatre chains should have a warning