YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Why a Static movie hasn’t been put into active development yet truly confounds me.

If I was head of DC I'd greenlight a Milestone Cinematic Universe.

You know, instead of forcing a black Superman movie down people's thoats or completely purging DC of "woke" concepts.

While Kills and Ends both being divisive and arguably plain poor have undoubtedly caused a lot of the issues with the collapse of the returns for Halloween's trilogy, theres a case that it is as much down to the fact that the Halloween franchise rebooting with Jamie Lee Curtis in the middle of Memberberrygeddon was a one time deal and some audience members were always going to be one and done with it.

As someone has already indicated with the Jurassic Gif but possibly counter to their point - even other franchises in Memberberrygeddon with divisive and arguable even worse executed paths have managed to stay financially successful if they had a hook that people are always going to care about - ie. Big dino action, but ultimately slashers are a somewhat niche genre and back to a somewhat niche genre it has returned.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Halloween 1978 is a very good but also overrated movie with a paper thin plot and characters that way overstayed its welcome as a franchise. there is nothing left to do or say but "it ends tonight!!! evil loses!!!!" so they had to go off on ridiculous tangents to justify making more movies. they should have had some shame and humility and stopped at Halloween 2018. 

Edited by Flopped

The -80% is dreadful, but not surprising. Friday the 13th (2009) fell -80.4% so it’ll be interesting to see which drop ends up higher.

It’s ending with a whimper, but the new Halloween trilogy is making about $480m on a combined budget for the 3 films of $50m. 

More than half of it came from the first part, but still lol. 

Great start for Black Adam. 

Curious to see how Prey for the Devil does next weekend. I’ve only had the trailer in cinemas a few times (including with Scream… in January), but nothing else like social media ads and such. And if I’m not getting those targeted ads, I don’t know what they’re doing haha. 

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The -80% is dreadful, but not surprising. Friday the 13th (2009) fell -80.4% so it’ll be interesting to see which drop ends up higher.

It’s ending with a whimper, but the new Halloween trilogy is making about $480m on a combined budget for the 3 films of $50m. 

More than half of it came from the first part, but still lol. 

Great start for Black Adam. 

Curious to see how Prey for the Devil does next weekend. I’ve only had the trailer in cinemas a few times (including with Scream… in January), but nothing else like social media ads and such. And if I’m not getting those targeted ads, I don’t know what they’re doing haha. 

Prey for the Devil is doing Antlers numbers lol.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Prey for the Devil is doing Antlers numbers lol.

Idk the whole exorcism / religious angle does well with hispanic and African american audiences. it could do like 8-10m mayyyybe. 

anything for ticket to paradise today? it's such an insignificant movie, but at the same time such an important one too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YM! said:

Missed the Blue Beetle discussion but honestly think it can be pretty big. DC comics fumbled the big with both Jaime Reyes and Virgil Hawkins as both could’ve easily been their Spider-Man in the comics despite Blue Beetle and Static being somewhat popular thanks to exposure in 2000s cartoons and appearances in video games. It also helps that’s there has never been a Hispanic led superhero film and test scores are pretty great. If marketing is strong and reviews are stronger, I think Shang-Chi numbers are the minimum (especially if it goes to September 22nd).

I’m excited for Blue Beetle! His costume looks so cool in set pics! Imagine how it’ll look after CGI touch ups! 

I also second the motion that DC completely undervalues both Jaime and Virgil! Both are cult classic fan favorites and it’s a shame they’re not used more in the comics or put on teams more often! You know how many dream Teen Titans/Young Justice lineups I’ve seen with Jaime and Virgil included!? 

3 hours ago, Eric Adam said:

I mean Blue Beetle is still an obscure, D-List character. At least Black Adam was still in stuff like Injustice. And I know there’s stuff like Shang-Chi or Captain Marvel, but the Marvel brand is way bigger and boosts the name of everybody. DC is still at the point where they are more hero-conscious to get a big hit. Not that it’s a bad thing. Shazam numbers for Blue Beetle would still be great!

Umm Blue Beetle was also in the Injustice games (and the majority of DC’s mobile games), as well as a co-lead on Batman: Brave and the Bold. The second season of Young Justice also revolved around him and he was a Teen Titans member in the two DCAMU animated films, plus he’s been in live action twice (Smallville and DC Nation). I wouldn’t say he’s a D-lister, he’s definitely a B-lister, for now. 

Fun Fact: The Blue Beetle franchise has more solo comics stories than Dr Fate, The Atom and Hawkman. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Halloween 1978 is a very good but also overrated movie with a paper thin plot and characters that way overstayed its welcome as a franchise. there is nothing left to do or say but "it ends tonight!!! evil loses!!!!" so they had to go off on ridiculous tangents to justify making more movies. they should have had some shame and humility and stopped at Halloween 2018. 

Halloween 1978 is perfection for what it is. What the series ultimately became is obviously very different. It is a bout a group of young baby sitters being stalked and murdered. In the late 70s, pretty much every teenager and young adult instantly identified with the character the film.

The main theme + The Shape Stalks are truly haunting themes too. 

Edited by excel1

33 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Umm Blue Beetle was also in the Injustice games (and the majority of DC’s mobile games), as well as a co-lead on Batman: Brave and the Bold. The second season of Young Justice also revolved around him and he was a Teen Titans member in the two DCAMU animated films, plus he’s been in live action twice (Smallville and DC Nation). I wouldn’t say he’s a D-lister, he’s definitely a B-lister, for now. 

Fun Fact: The Blue Beetle franchise has more solo comics stories than Dr Fate, The Atom and Hawkman. 

At least C-list (B list us a bit arguable) but dude is definitely more known than the JSA. Definitely the most popular Blue Beetle.

How come Halloween Kills was so badly received? I just read what the final scene in the movies was, I can see that being a little controversial among fans.

I skipped it as I thought 2 sequels after the 2018 was just milking the series to death. I thought the 2018 film should have been one and done deal. 

To be fair, what I'm reading about Halloween Ends I'm actually really intrigued by.

2 hours ago, Eric Adam said:

They didn't makes less than the first film's opening weekend though. Think that's what Grim is talking about here.

Those sequels also weren’t available day & date, nor in a genre where a good DOM outcome is like 2x the first week 

And yes, even by % of original DOM it’s not as bad, but also not all that far off either 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn't expect much, it's being dumped without fanfare (doubt that's much of a shock to anyone, it looks completely derivative of other exorcism movies) and Smile is already established as the must-see spooky flick for Halloween for this year. Expect a total in the teens.

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

anything for ticket to paradise today? it's such an insignificant movie, but at the same time such an important one too. 

My showing this afternoon was packed in one of the bigger theaters (FYI at least 3/4 the audience was over the age of 60). I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up from its Friday + previews number today.