YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

Might be half-joking (and I haven't seen the movie yet), but I'd bet that it's hard to build word-of-mouth on a movie title that's hard to pronounce. I can't tell you how many different ways to say "Inisherin" I've heard over the past couple weeks.

I think more people have just been calling it "the Colin Farrell/Brendan Gleeson movie," and neither of those two are big box office draws. Even if it did well in its limited release, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed to take off at a nationwide level.

12 months ago, everyone was thinking $200m film DUNE's $41m opening weekend and $108m total were more than solid enough to justify its now in-production sequel. 

Here we have BLACK ADAM looking at solid 50%+ increase over those totals and somehow it isn't enough?  

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

... Dune didn't cost $200m though? I thought it was $165m, and BA seems to have cost at least $30m more than that.

Dune also had the HBO Max day-and-date excuse, whereas BA does not.

(Don't take this as me taking a side in this debate, just clarifying some things)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

12 months ago, everyone was thinking $200m film DUNE's $41m opening weekend and $108m total were more than solid enough to justify its now in-production sequel. 

Here we have BLACK ADAM looking at solid 50%+ increase over those totals and somehow it isn't enough?  

No one said it’s not getting a sequel, people just like to assume things, no one really knows what’s gonna happen tbh. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Buzz seems very low for it, oddly. Searchlight + some of the best reviews for an American film this year. Yet it doesn't feel like it popped. Maybe it should have opened later in season with more festival momentum? Or November 4th? Pretty empty except Armageddon Time's wide expansion, One Piece's wide release. Bardo will be very limited due to Netflix. Causeaway because Apple, and buzz is even lower on that despite JLaw.

If Armageddon Time has a PTA over 10k next weekend that would be a win. The movie was so warmly received when I saw it at NYFF.

9 minutes ago, RthMav said:

BA est in right ball park ,I'd been going with 26-27, TTP 7

27 would be nice if it happened for sure. 20M true Friday would give it a shot at 70.. But likely will be 25/63 or something similar.

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, might go tomorrow or Monday. With 2 kids, one of them younger than a year, it's hard to make time for movies on weekends 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

No word on cinemascore yet or did I miss it?

CinemaScore should be here in an hour or two.

RT verified audience score points to a B+, but A- also possible.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Buzz seems very low for it, oddly. Searchlight + some of the best reviews for an American film this year. Yet it doesn't feel like it popped. Maybe it should have opened later in season with more festival momentum? Or November 4th? Pretty empty except Armageddon Time's wide expansion, One Piece's wide release. Bardo will be very limited due to Netflix. Causeaway because Apple, and buzz is even lower on that despite JLaw.

I'm very excited for Banshees of Inisherin, but I get why things seem muted, because the whole thing feels pretty lowkey. Three Billboards had a big ensemble, with Rockwell and McDormand as frontrunners IIRC (been five years, don't yell at me if I got it wrong), a really strong hook (and meme potential) with its billboard premise that made it eye-catching and memorable, and brought up topical issues that mad

Banshees is a movie about an Irish guy wondering why he's no longer best friends with another Irish guy. Like I'm hoping to take my mom to this, but that's not as exciting of a hook for her compared to what Three Billboards offers and nothing about the movie has been pushed as "frontrunner". Like the main hype for Tar is Cate Blanchett being the big frontrunner and giving one of her, if not her best performance ever. Brendan Fraser has all the Best Actor hype at the moment, and a comeback narrative, so Colin Farrell's performance isn't getting the hype it usually would. So with little to hook non-film buffs in, I think 30K+ PTA would be very good for Banshees.

• Like 1