YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

According to this Variety article, BA was projected to do $328 million domestic. I knew they were full of it when they predicted 130M for Halloween Ends

https://variety.com/vip/2022s-last-h...-2-1235388447/

Sick source for those numbers btw. 

Black adam was probably never touching 200m tbh so that fact that anyone took that article seriously is laughable. 

Edited by cax16
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Maggie said:

According to this Variety article, BA was projected to do $328 million domestic. I knew they were full of it when they predicted 130M for Halloween Ends

https://variety.com/vip/2022s-last-h...-2-1235388447/

To be fair, we were all laughing at that meanwhile fanboys on Film Twitter took it like the Gospel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Sick source for those numbers btw. 

Black adam was probably never touching 200m tbh so that fact that anyone took that article seriously is laughable. 

The source is a company that works WITH Warner Bros. since 2020 called 'Cinelytic'.

Conflict of interests I'd say to put those numbers out. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-signs-deal-ai-driven-film-management-system-1268036/

Edited by YSLDC

Interesting case study in expectation.

From my perspective this is an original superhero that not many people have heard of.....so 60m seems pretty good from that point of view. For a movie adaptation of a non-Marvel character that not many people have heard of and that packs together a lot of lore people don't know in an universe with patchy public perspective....seems pretty decent.

But the question is whether the budget makes that irrelevant. 

I'd still say that a x2.5 ww (so, what.....350?) on this one will look decent enough if it gets there. Would make a positive comparison with Batman Begins which, arguably, was performing a similar function at the time.

But in and of itself still not a big financial hit. Looking forward to seeing it myself though. Trailers were rather "superhero the superhero movie" to me, but I've heard enough positive things.

If things come out on the downside though I would consider my experience with my PT today - he's a big Rock fan and I asked if he planned to go. He said no as he's "not into that superhero stuff". So there may be a slight misalignment that means macho manly type Rock fans want popcorn fun and spectacle but draw the line at comic books.

In other news, saw Ticket to Paradise ages ago here in the UK. Thought it was awful, but still surprised it isn't doing slightly better in OW. That said it should have silly older audience legs.

Smile over Halloween Ends would be crazy if it happens. Finally getting to Halloween her in the UK and can actually ruddy well watch Barbarian after this ridiculous wait.

Just now, YSLDC said:

The source is a company that works WITH Warner Bros. since 2020 called 'Cinelytic'. 

Conflict of interests I'd say to put those numbers out. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-signs-deal-ai-driven-film-management-system-1268036/

All those big “tracking” companies work with the studios. The studios use a cross-section of them to help with their tracking. SAMBA TV works with Disney. IIRC Parrot Analytics also has ties to studios.

43 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

lol there are people REALLY think that it's good for BA? Logic lost on some. Show me a film that grossed 50m+ LESS than its budget that was considered good. 

Batman Begins, the opening of one of the most beloved of superhero trilogies....

$150m Budget plus big marketing budget

$48m opening

$373 Worldwide total.

BA will beat that opening and likely that worldwide total despite not being a Batman movie.

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Batman Begins, the opening of one of the most beloved of superhero trilogies....

$48m opening

$373 Worldwide total.

BA will beat that opening and likely that worldwide total despite not being a Batman movie.

I'm fairly sure WB is in slightly more dire financial straights than they were when that movie came out.

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

$48m opening

$373 Worldwide total.

The problem is that nowadays, every time a DC movie underperforms, comes an MCU movie to rub it in by grossing a billion. It's a constant reminder to WB executives and investors that these movies are not delivering. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

The problem is that nowadays, every time a DC movie underperforms, comes an MCU movie to rub it in by grossing a billion. It's a constant reminder to WB executives and investors that these movies are not delivering. 

Eternals,Shang-Chi,Doctor Strange:ITMoM and Thor:L&T.

None of them did a billion.

• Like 2

This movie would have been an enormous flop with anyone other than The Rock starring. We're looking at a solid film 1 gross and even better introductory reception for the character.

• Haha 1

Just now, excel1 said:

This movie would have been an enormous flop with anyone other than The Rock starring. We're looking at a solid film 1 gross and even better introductory reception for the character.

Who knows. It's doing on par with Shazam and that had an unknown in the cast

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Who knows. It's doing on par with Shazam and that had an unknown in the cast

You’re trying to tell me Chuck on an obscene cocktail of steroids is “unknown”???

• Thanks 1