Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (11/4-6) | Weekend Actuals: Black Adam 18.3, One Piece 9.5, Ticket 8.5, Smile 4, Devil 3.9

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

nobody had ever heard of the character before a year or two ago.

This has exactly jackshit to do with whether something is a flop, lol

Eternals, sadly, was also in the flop zone, with circa 200M theatrical rev on a est 200M prod budget. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

BA's not a flop.  nobody had ever heard of the character before a year or two ago.  how many characters do between $350M-$400M+ WW that nobody ever heard of post-covid? it's gonna do Eternals numbers. 

You were careful with your wording there but if it was your 200M you wouldn’t be happy lol

Edited by VENOM
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

OPR 2.8

So about $18-$18.5M for Black Adam...that's about a 33% drop for it.  Great 3rd weekend hold, which some poster was smart enough to let everyone know would happen last weekend.  

Oh, M37, just take your bow - I always believed in you:)!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t know if sub $10m was above expectations to be honest. I seen a lot of $10-14m. 

A lot of these were based on BOP's prediction but I think BOP just based their range looking at the last few crunchy wide or kinda wide releases. OP isn't huge in the US so these are pretty good numbers imo. Always thought people were way too high on it whenever that was mentioned.

FWIW BOP ended up forecasting 9.5 which looks right on the money.   

BOR has 11.3 and derby avg was 10.9, so I would say it’s a smidge below expectation. Expectations were to have a great OW for the franchise though, and that is basically still happening.

8 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

BA's not a flop.  nobody had ever heard of the character before a year or two ago.  how many characters do between $350M-$400M+ WW that nobody ever heard of post-covid? it's gonna do Eternals numbers. 

I actually agree in terms of the character. I’ve said for a long time in the black adam thread I thought BA would do around Shazam numbers cause it’s an unknown character so nothing more should be expected. The problem is what they ended up spending on the movie, so moving forward they need to be smarter about that.

Some people are obviously being snarky which always happens, others are just telling it like it is, the budget is what’s hurting the movie’s success, and that’s the truth. I don’t think too much changes going forward now honestly, Gunn is in charge and he had obvious input on Black Adam so he knew where this storey was going. Just make a better sequel. 

• Like 3

After Sony won biggest movie last year there’s a real chance Paramount might win this year. I think we can safely say Black Panther won’t beat Top Gun Maverick.. Disney’s only hope is a Fox movie.

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

Fri not inflated at all then — last weekend deflation more dramatic than I realized. Props to M37 indeed.

To be fair, the deflation and rebound effect was even more dramatic than I had expected (as evidenced by my Derby estimates), likely due to the absence of a tentpole opening and limited non-horror/GA friendly product available

But yeah, that first November weekend is like a spell being broken and audiences rediscovering movies exist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1