Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (11/4-6) | Weekend Actuals: Black Adam 18.3, One Piece 9.5, Ticket 8.5, Smile 4, Devil 3.9

47 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Is this the first time CS has polled an anime film? I feel like I've never seen one from them before.

Obviously correct!

I think they did for DS, JJK and Dragon Ball too, just doesn't seem to publicized the score or just for Distributor Survey

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Obviously correct!

I think they did for DS, JJK and Dragon Ball too, just doesn't seem to publicized the score or just for Distributor Survey

According to this article, CinemaScores are automatically collected and published for any release in at last 1500 locations, so JJK and DBS:SH should have had them? Maybe Crunchyroll wasn’t keeping CinemaScore in the loop, giving them enough notice to set up the polling 

It does seem like CR is getting their footing in US box office customs, like publishing a Thursday preview number on Friday and now a CS, as they ramp up volume of distribution

Edited by M37

39 minutes ago, M37 said:

According to this article, CinemaScores are automatically collected and published for any release in at last 1500 locations, so JJK and DBS:SH should have had them? Maybe Crunchyroll wasn’t keeping CinemaScore in the loop, giving them enough notice to set up the polling 

It does seem like CR is getting their footing in US box office customs, like publishing a Thursday preview number on Friday and now a CS, as they ramp up volume of distribution

Cinemascore -

Movies that open in less than 1,500 screens are not automatically polled or reported on social media or on the CinemaScore website. If a film opens in less than 1,500 screens, CinemaScore either doesn't poll the film at all or may be contracted privately (by the film’s studio or producers) to conduct a survey. These private CinemaScore surveys use exactly the same methodology as public surveys, the only difference being that results are proprietary to the studio or producers. CinemaScore does not report private survey results unless the contracting party wishes to have CinemaScore disclose the scores to the public

I guess they did private survey?? Even though I believe all anime film will be either A/A+. as % of fans is unusually very high than GA

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- (2) Ticket to Paradise Universal $2,580,000 +153% -19% 4,066 $635 $40,804,120 15
- (4) Smile Paramount Pi… $1,150,000 +187% -28% 3,046 $378 $96,257,075 36
- (-) The Banshees of Inisherin Searchlight … $734,000 +1,169% +250% 895 $820 $1,767,102 15
- (6) Halloween Ends Universal $400,000 +140% -66% 2,929 $137 $62,445,190 22
- (-) Armageddon Time Focus Features $290,000 +5,665% +728% 1,006 $288 $382,175 8
- (8) TÁR Focus Features $200,000 +54% -42% 1,090 $183 $3,270,828 29
- (-) Amsterdam 20th Century… $34,000 -2% -46% 370 $92 $14,726,472 29
- (-) Minions: The Rise of Gru Universal $25,000 +65% -9% 442 $57 $369,081,445 127
- (-) Barbarian 20th Century… $23,000 +29% -61% 160 $144 $40,680,275 57
- (-) The Bad Guys Universal $20,000 +8% -54% 564 $35 $97,046,600 197
- (-) The Divine Protector - Ma… Freestyle Re… $570 +1,226% -7% 5 $114 $19,916 15

11   $5,456,570    
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Cinemascore -

Movies that open in less than 1,500 screens are not automatically polled or reported on social media or on the CinemaScore website. If a film opens in less than 1,500 screens, CinemaScore either doesn't poll the film at all or may be contracted privately (by the film’s studio or producers) to conduct a survey. These private CinemaScore surveys use exactly the same methodology as public surveys, the only difference being that results are proprietary to the studio or producers. CinemaScore does not report private survey results unless the contracting party wishes to have CinemaScore disclose the scores to the public

I guess they did private survey?? Even though I believe all anime film will be either A/A+. as % of fans is unusually very high than GA

Yeah. Seems a rather pointless exercise really. You wouldn't imagine the A CS score would attract any casual viewers. Gives the studio some bragging rights I suppose.

10 hours ago, Eric Carey said:

Feels so good to never see a Black Adam trailer again. Can't wait for Fabelmans and The Menu to come out so I'll never see those trailers again.

huh, that’s interesting. I feel like the Fabelmans is the one trailer where I put my phone away and soak it in every time now that the Wakanda Forever teaser is gone. Ah well, different strokes for different folks

Edited by Blankments

Just out of curiosity regarding cinema score's significance, I had a look at the new Halloween series. The films declined from B+ for Halloween 2018, B- for Kills, and C+ for Ends. I know horror even at its best scores low, but these scores seem to reflect accurately how well liked the films were and their requisite box office takes.

Interestingly, every non OT Star Wars film except Rise of Skywalker, which got a B+, has scored A or A-. This supports the CS fanboy factor. Although it doesn't tell us too much about a film's legs in this series.

Sorry if I'm retreading established norms with CS, never really paid too much attention to it unless it's really low.

Everything in so far has beaten Deadline's Fri Afternoon estimate

OPR = $4.8 vs $4.6

BA = ??? vs $3.7-$4.3 (expecting high end there)

TTP = $2.58 vs $2.2

Smile = $1.15 vs $950K

Prey = ??? vs $800K

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

huh, that’s interesting. I feel like the Fabelmans is the one trailer where I put my phone away and soak it in every time now that the Wakanda Forever teaser is gone. Ah well, different strokes for different folks

I mean it's a good trailer. I'm excited for the movie. It would be nice if the trailer was once in a while. But seeing it like four times in a row makes me want an aneurism. Guess it's my fault for seeing all the big awards contenders this year I guess. But I guess it won't matter, since it's almost coming out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Everything in so far has beaten Deadline's Fri Afternoon estimate

OPR = $4.8 vs $4.6

BA = ??? vs $3.7-$4.3 (expecting high end there)

TTP = $2.58 vs $2.2

Smile = $1.15 vs $950K

Prey = ??? vs $800K

Early Friday numbers from Deadline being underestimated from the real numbers? What a crazy series of events that never happens.

• Haha 1

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1588911073453015040?s=20&t=Z5DyRqqw3KxZ2gSrKhHwQg

I swear, this movie has had the weirdest, least predictable runs/patterns I can remember - last Tuesday dropping 8% from Monday, now seeing an increase over last week (and yeah, even with Halloween depression effect and rebound I expected that's still a tad ridiculous)

Can't help but think its such a blah story, making money by default as the only family movie out, that its just more sensitive outside factors. Almost like a last resort when everything else falls through for families

• Like 1