Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (11/4-6) | Weekend Actuals: Black Adam 18.3, One Piece 9.5, Ticket 8.5, Smile 4, Devil 3.9

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Good weekend for BA. But think it's gonna drop close to 60% next weekend. but it can recover to 160-170m.

WB fucked this not releasing it early October. 

Agree. Was something originally scheduled for early October, but got shifted to a later date, that put WB off?

Or maybe didn't want to go up against established franchise in Halloween Ends?

2 hours ago, M37 said:

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1588911073453015040?s=20&t=Z5DyRqqw3KxZ2gSrKhHwQg

I swear, this movie has had the weirdest, least predictable runs/patterns I can remember - last Tuesday dropping 8% from Monday, now seeing an increase over last week (and yeah, even with Halloween depression effect and rebound I expected that's still a tad ridiculous)

Can't help but think its such a blah story, making money by default as the only family movie out, that its just more sensitive outside factors. Almost like a last resort when everything else falls through for families

Mon the 24 was inflated — Diwali I believe the main culprit there.  

Pretty confident sat numbers will bear out that Fri Nov 4 is also inflated across the board… though I’m not yet sure by what exactly.

1 hour ago, stephen said:

Agree. Was something originally scheduled for early October, but got shifted to a later date, that put WB off?

Or maybe didn't want to go up against established franchise in Halloween Ends?

Across the Spider-Verse was in the October 7 slot, but then got pushed at the last minute. I thought that would be where Black Adam would move to, but I guess they were afraid of losing their PLFs and IMAX to Halloween Ends in its second weekend. But like...they were going to lose them anyways. Might as well take the L on the second weekend, drop in the 60s, and then have the next three weeks with no competition. It's way better than getting chopped off after the fourth weekend.

• Like 1

While some rivals have snarked to me about the big cost for this movie at $200M before P&A, that hold right there for Black Adam is better than the third weekend hold of 2019’s Hobbs & Shaw, both percentage and bucks wise (-44%, $14.1M). Total running cume for the Dwayne Johnson movie by Sunday will be $136M. 

This movie is the biggest thing in the market right now, spurring concession sales for exhibition, so there’s nothing to complain about.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Pretty confident sat numbers will bear out that Fri Nov 4 is also inflated across the board…

Or last Friday’s numbers were depressed, and the lack of new releases is only helping to reduce the drops across the board. However, it was the first off night for World Series since Sunday (excluding Halloween), so that may have also helped 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Smile will be at around $98.8m by Sunday after a $3.6m weekend. Still think it’ll be a long struggle to $100m like you did on Tuesday, @CJohn? 😅

Legit tho it would die after Halloween season. Guess what? Glad I was wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Or last Friday’s numbers were depressed, and the lack of new releases is only helping to reduce the drops across the board. However, it was the first off night for World Series since Sunday (excluding Halloween), so that may have also helped 

Ahhhh, you know, WS might be it

51 minutes ago, M37 said:

43 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Ahhhh, you know, WS might be it

If that's the case then it should show today. Lots of big college football games (including #1 Tennessee vs defending champ Georgia going on right now) and of course Game 6 of the WS (possibly the final game) is tonight.

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

you are overestimating the impact of BP2. there are many markets in US where it will underperform and there will be enough screens for BA considering its number 2. At this point PLF is not that much of a factor with weekend < 10m. It definitely wont drop 60% in this empty marketplace with just 1 big movie. 

Shazam dropped 66% against Endgame.

-56%/-58% seems like a reasonable drop for BA.

Edited by efialtes76

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Every week there are some people here trying to convince us how impressive Black Adam's drops did (with the excuse that it's better than expected lol), who would have thought that the rock stans would be hanging around this forum, and ofc the payoled Deadline articles too.

This movie had THREE weeks with ZERO competition, there is literal no excuses, the $200M movie with huge promotion is bombing locally and globally, move on. Saying this is not "trolling", it's just facts.
Celebrating a drop this week over an anime movie that the general public haven't heard of, ridiculous lol. There hasn't been another BLOCKBUSTER to see for 3 weeks, Dwayne's blockbuster has all the cinemas to himself for the 3rd week in a row and it's still flopping.

Every week there are some people here saying how bad BA is doing...

3 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Every week there are some people here saying how bad BA is doing...

Because of how much money it’s going to lose? Hardly the same thing as constantly spinning for said money loser.

55 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Shazam dropped 66% against Endgame.

-56%/-58% seems like a reasonable drop for BA.

Endgame was a different beast. It took 70% of the screens and dominated all the markets state side. BP2 wont be anywhere close to Endgame. We have had big openers and movies holding ok against them. Black Adam is not my cup of tea but it seem to be a reasonable crowd pleaser. So I think it wont hold ok. let us wait until thursday to see. 

In addition, there'sa great diverse turnout of audiences for Black Adam with 29% Black, 26% Hispanic, 25% Caucasian and 13% Asian.

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie, may I ask who compiled this number and is it reliable? Because someone say the Black Adam is really "Black" Adam.

2 minutes ago, noobmaster69 said:

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie, may I ask who compiled this number and is it reliable? Because someone say the Black Adam is really "Black" Adam.

Those are statistics posted by Deadline...I may have even been the one who originally posted them from their normal weekend post update...

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Endgame was a different beast. It took 70% of the screens and dominated all the markets state side. BP2 wont be anywhere close to Endgame. We have had big openers and movies holding ok against them. Black Adam is not my cup of tea but it seem to be a reasonable crowd pleaser. So I think it wont hold ok. let us wait until thursday to see. 

Yep but Shang-Chi(great wom) dropped 53% against Venom 2($90M OW).

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

Legit tho it would die after Halloween season. Guess what? Glad I was wrong.

Horror movies have done very well outside Halloween season 😉 

Great Friday jumps all around!  Was kinda rooting for another anime film to take the crown but it's doing wonders in its home country, top 10 all-time.