Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (11/4-6) | Weekend Actuals: Black Adam 18.3, One Piece 9.5, Ticket 8.5, Smile 4, Devil 3.9

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-one-piece-film-red-black-adam-dwayne-johnson-1235163473/

As theatrical tries to find its footing from the pandemic, thank God for Crunchyroll anime films to fill the wide release gaps on the calendar and spur popcorn sales for movie theaters. The Sony owned label’s One Piece Film Red, based on the best-selling manga title and in partnership Toei Animation, made an estimated $1.6M-$1.8M yesterday off showtimes that began at 5pm. The movie was also booked on Imax and PLFs last night. Industry projections see the movie potentially upsetting the third weekend of New Line/DC’s Black Adam with a $14M-$16M opening at 2,415 theaters.

Those previews are slightly lower than recent Crunchyroll films, i.e. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero back in August did $4M before posting a 3-day of $21.1M, while Jujutsu Kaisen 0 posted at $2.88M preview back in March for a $18M weekend that filed No. 2 behind Warner Bros.’ third session of the The Batman ($36.7M)

• Like 2

Deadline -

As theatrical tries to find its footing from the pandemic, thank God for Crunchyroll anime films to fill the wide release gaps on the calendar and spur popcorn sales for movie theaters. The Sony owned label’s One Piece Film Red, based on the best-selling manga title and in partnership Toei Animation, made an estimated $1.6M-$1.8M yesterday off showtimes that began at 5pm. The movie was also booked on Imax and PLFs last night. Industry projections see the movie potentially upsetting the third weekend of New Line/DC’s Black Adam with a $14M-$16M opening at 2,415 theaters.

Those previews are slightly lower than recent Crunchyroll films, i.e. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero back in August did $4M before posting a 3-day of $21.1M, while Jujutsu Kaisen 0 posted at $2.88M preview back in March for a $18M weekend that filed No. 2 behind Warner Bros.’ third session of the The Batman ($36.7M)

Thursday Numbers

1.) Black Adam (NL) 4,402 theaters, Thu $1.635M (-5% from Wed), Wk $35.4M, Total $118.8M/Wk 2

2.) Ticket to Paradise (Uni) 3,692 theaters, Thu $1.02 (0% from Wed), Wk $14.5M, Total - $38.2M/Wk 2

3.) Prey for the Devil (LG) 2,980 theaters, Thu $440K (+1% for Wed), Wk $9.8M/Wk 1

4.) Smile (Par) 3,221 theaters, Thu $400K

(+3% from Wed), Wk $7.7M / Total - $95.1M/Wk 5

5.) Godzilla Against Mechagod (Fathom) 727 theaters, $335K/opening day

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Carey said:

Why do the previews have a range? Feel like that's a first.

Crunchyroll isn’t as prompt with reporting Thursday previews (I think they send them as part of full Friday number) so would guess is that range is probably an industry estimate rather than from the studio directly  

Dragonball also started as estimate on Friday morning ($4M) before the official number on Saturday ($4.3M)

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Crunchyroll isn’t as prompt with reporting Thursday previews (I think they send them as part of full Friday number) so would guess is that range is probably an industry estimate rather than from the studio directly  

Dragonball also started as estimate on Friday morning ($4M) before the official number on Saturday ($4.3M)

Wack on a stick

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guessing Black Adam ends up #1 again. Looking to be a "calm before the storm" weekend, unsurprisingly.

Rock’s spin tweets of them getting upset tho. 👀

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What legs are we expecting for WF? The first one had a big OW and amazing legs. I really don't think this will be as frontloaded as the usual Marvel. Movie has basically no competition until Avatar 2

Around same OW and weaker legs is my guess.

Looks awesome. But still my guess

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What legs are we expecting for WF? The first one had a big OW and amazing legs. I really don't think this will be as frontloaded as the usual Marvel. Movie has basically no competition until Avatar 2

2.6-2.9x 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-one-piece-film-red-black-adam-dwayne-johnson-1235163473/

Friday Afternoon: It’s not anime that will have the upper hand at the weekend box office, but the People’s Champion. Dwayne Johnson’s New Line DC movie Black Adam is looking to bring in a third Friday of $3.7M-$4.3M for what looks to be a $14M-$16M third weekend at 3,985 theaters, -45% for a running total by Sunday of $135M on the high-end. If the higher end of the projection holds, Black Adam will be pacing about 1% ahead of Johnson’s Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw through its third weekend.

While Crunchyroll’s anime title One Piece Film Red looks to win Friday, including $1.7M previews, with $4.6M, industry estimates are forecasting that the movie will only yield a $8.8M-$10M opening at 2,415, which is on the lower end of the Sony-owned distribution label; their fare typically opening to $18M-$21M+.

Universal’s Julia Roberts-George Clooney older-skewing romcom Ticket to Paradise at 4,066 theaters is seeing a third Friday of $2.2M, -31%, a third weekend of $7M, -29%, and running total of $45.4M.

Paramount’s Smile keeping on grinning with a sixth weekend at 3,046 theaters of $3.16M, -42% and running total of $98.2M. Friday looks to land at $950K.

Lionsgate’s second weekend of horror pic Prey for the Devil at 2,980 looks to post a second Friday north of $800K, -71% for an estimated second session of $2.6M, -64% for a running cume by Sunday of $12.3M.

• Like 2