Eric Prime

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After this weekend, it's pretty clear Wish simply isn't safe enough to be Disney's sole holiday event for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. They need a failsafe next December, and they need to date it as soon as possible. My pick would be Haunted Mansion. Delay that to December 2023. It needs all the distance from Morbius and Tiffany Haddish's red ledger it can get.

Haunted Mansion isn't big enough to carry the holidays. I'd say move The Marvels to Christmas (and see the release date musical chairs among the other releases that would follow) since Disney's Summer 2023 is already packed even without it, but that's not up to me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

It's a shame that a movie like Devotion didn't even get 1% of the support of Top Gun 2, just because of Tom Cruise, nostalgia, hype, etc.  I mean both are interesting movies with a similar theme, planes, action, etc., you'd think at least a decent small part of the Top Gun 2 fans would give a chance to Devotion and check it out...  But unfortunately these days it's mostly about superhero movies, sequels, etc.

It's more "why watch almost the exact same movie again 3 months later?"  Especially with the price of tickets and inflation overall. 

Kids don't mind repeats, but adults like fresh material.  With Top Gun 2 being seen by almost everyone, this movie offered nothing fresh for anyone.  It would have been better to delay its release 12-18 months to make people pine for a Top Gun 2 type experience again, not wonder when they'd get to see Top Gun 2 on digital (which is Paramount Plus's announced Xmas movie)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, filmlover said:

Haunted Mansion isn't big enough to carry the holidays. I'd say move The Marvels to Christmas (and see the release date musical chairs among the other releases that would follow) since Disney's Summer 2023 is already packed even without it, but that's not up to me.

Marvels would get torched by Aquaman next Christmas.  Theaters are set for that movie and it will get the PLFs...

Just like WB vacated for Avatar, Disney can't try to push in a super over Aquaman.  Aquaman is getting the "Xmas supers slot."

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Marvels would get torched by Aquaman next Christmas.  Theaters are set for that movie and it will get the PLFs...

Just like WB vacated for Avatar, Disney can't try to push in a super over Aquaman.  Aquaman is getting the "Xmas supers slot."

Nothing is set in stone until the marketing begins (and even then, not always, see: Across the Spider-Verse). Given how messy the second half of 2023 looks at the moment, we're likely going to see release date changes over the next several months as the schedule starts to sort itself out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On behalf of all the citizens of Atlantis, we thank you, TwoMisfits! 🐠

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like it's time to just accept we're in for a quiet holiday season (minus Black Panther and Avatar). Almost ironic how market conditions are better than they were this time last year when COVID was still very much active yet the overall box office seems to be worse due to a lack of movies that will come close to even making what House of Gucci did, let alone Eternals or Ghostbusters or Encanto.

No way Home cant be matched this year 

Hype for that film was so strong that it filled up theaters in Canada even when they where locking them down them down the next day lol

I just feel apart from Top Gun there is not much must see cinema in theaters these days.

In a movie full of alien creatures the biracial gay kid turned out to be the scariest thing in Strange Worlds to conservatives.

It's funny I try to shield my kids from jive talking crows in Dumbo and ugly depictions of Native Americans in Peter Pan. Meanwhile other families are trying to shield their kids from biracial gay hero.

Strange World indeed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

feels like an excuse for an unappealing slate of movies TBH

Comedies are really lame or tamae compared to 5-10 years ago. Good comedies have to push the edge but most are very tone downed in order to not offend 

Like I watch some comedies like 21 jump street a few days ago and such and like they cant even make something like that today. 

Sort of why that genre sort of been flopping bad. Films like that would keep the box office alive between blockbusters.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

Quick question: is Atlantis: The Lost Empire based on a true story?

It's got Marty McFly, Spock, and the original Maverick (James Garner) in it... it has to be true!

P.S. Happy Birthday! Cake or pumpkin pie?

1 minute ago, A Star is Delayed said:

It's got Marty McFly, Spock, and the original Maverick (James Garner) in it... it has to be true!

P.S. Happy Birthday! Cake or pumpkin pie?

Both! Because my parents are super cool like that.

• Like 1

Strange Worlds and Lightyear were the best we can do for encouraging LGBT representation? 

Imagine if the best hopes for straight white male representation was tied to John Carter and Mars Needs Moms.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Avatar should hopefully be big enough on its own to keep theaters running - and it's likely the reason a lot of less big stuff steered clear. Again, the trend of the industry is still upward, and there is still a lot of COVID uncertainty. I know dooming is the popular attitude and uncertainty doesn't make for great conversation but until there's a real indication ticket buying has reached a peak you can't draw any accurate conclusions about its future.

I mean...ticket buying has reached a peak. Back in 2002.

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's more "why watch almost the exact same movie again 3 months later?"  Especially with the price of tickets and inflation overall. 

Kids don't mind repeats, but adults like fresh material.  With Top Gun 2 being seen by almost everyone, this movie offered nothing fresh for anyone.  It would have been better to delay its release 12-18 months to make people pine for a Top Gun 2 type experience again, not wonder when they'd get to see Top Gun 2 on digital (which is Paramount Plus's announced Xmas movie)...

People go to see the same MCU movies every 3 months.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Strange Worlds and Lightyear were the best we can do for encouraging LGBT representation? 

Imagine if the best hopes for straight white male representation was tied to John Carter and Mars Needs Moms.

It's certainly not. 

At this point is clear to me that movies with strong representation needs to be always great, undeniable so, in order to have a chance of succeed. 

Homophobics always find a way to be shitty, but it's way easier to bury a movie when it's bland or uneventhful.

• Like 1