Eric the Ape

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Bones and All opening to $2.4m 3-day is just dreadful.

X opened to $4.2m and Pearl opened to $3.1m with zero stars and far less hype than Bones.

The Chalamet is a movie star discourse can probably pipe down a notch now.

X is a horror movie, a Texas Chainsaw inspired slasher. 

Bones and All is a romance with cannibals in love. Not horror. 

Very different. Horror is easier to sell. 

Also, X is much better. 

People have pointed out that a full Glass Onion release was a missed opportunity. I think releasing Disenchanted in theaters today instead of sending it to Disney Plus would have also made a nice sum in theaters. More than Strange World I believe. There was way more interest for that

• Like 7

So... Bardo didn't release here, neither Pinocchio, Bones and All, Armageddon Time etc 

And i'm not paying twice to see Black Panther, i don't know how theaters don't see they're losing a portion of audience when they just give 1 option for them (2 to be fair, there's also Black Adam) 

I'm bummed that Glass Onion didn't get a full, proper release. Knives Out felt like a throwback to box office hits of yesteryear as an appealing, well-reviewed star-driven vehicle that also hung around for a long time. Seeing the sequel go to a streamer with a not-too-wide release and no official box office reporting just feels wrong.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

People have pointed out that a full Glass Onion release was a missed opportunity. I think releasing Disenchanted in theaters today instead of sending it to Disney Plus would have also made a nice sum in theaters. More than Strange World I believe. There was way more interest for that

Hocus Pocus 2 and Disenchanted feel like to obvious misses. Each would've generated decent profit imo.

Strange Worlds could've done fine imo, if Chapek hadn't reduced Disney animation to that thing families wait the short 30-45 day window to watch it on Disney+. An area that Iger can improve on, right off the bat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange World is on par with other WDAS boy-centric sci-fi openings like Meet the Robinsons and double that of Treasure Planet. Atlantis seems to have completely cratered in the summer if BOM is anything to go by but I'm not sure if it had a wide or limited opening.

What's the homophobe reasoning for why those other movies flopped? 🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread has like 20 posts about homophobia in the thread and like no homophobic posts? Maybe 1-2 fairly mild ones? Did a miss a bunch of now deleted posts or something.

Edited by Legion By Night
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

This thread has like 20 posts about homophobia in the thread and like no homophobic posts? Maybe 1-2 fairly mild ones? Did a miss a bunch of now deleted posts or something.

You missed the "day" posts xD

59 minutes ago, Nero said:

You missed the "day" posts xD

I don’t think I missed anything unless it’s been deleted! Unless people are operating with a super weird idea of what’s homophobic it just isn’t adding up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

Isn't 2 "fairly mild ones" enough tho? And yes it's the exact ones i found personally offensive, since you want an answer.

It's good that we're discussing this, i really do think it's important, but it must be respectful, which was being during the thread overall until these 2 posts. 

It's a subtle thing, of course no one will come here and say a slur or something, but the tone is obviously enough that you can see it, now imagine people used with this type of discourse. 

Anyway, it's all fine, there's no need to start another discussion. I'm just answering your doubt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Strange World is on par with other WDAS boy-centric sci-fi openings like Meet the Robinsons and double that of Treasure Planet. Atlantis seems to have completely cratered in the summer if BOM is anything to go by but I'm not sure if it had a wide or limited opening.

What's the homophobe reasoning for why those other movies flopped? 🧐

I would argue Meet The Robinsons lose audience because the designs are extremelly ugly (still a lovely film)

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn't 2 "fairly mild ones" enough tho? And yes it's the exact ones i found personally offensive, since you want an answer.

I mean, I’d rather there be zero homophobia anywhere. But feels like a case where a big reaction to a small amount of bad behavior kind of elevate the power of that bad behavior and let it take up a lot more space of what the weekend thread is about. I think NIRD is a more effective way to deal with it.

• Like 3

If representation is really a major issue for you, you should support everyone who does it, not only the studio you're a fanboy of. Just saying... 🤷‍♂️ I fully support your fight for diversity (it's a major issue for me) but be more mindful of what it really means. You can't cherry pick the movies you defend and the ones you help society eviscerate. Makes you seem hypocritical.