Eric Furiosa

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Devotion cost $90m, not including marketing. It’s a giant bomb. 

It's a shame that a movie like Devotion didn't even get 1% of the support of Top Gun 2, just because of Tom Cruise, nostalgia, hype, etc.  I mean both are interesting movies with a similar theme, planes, action, etc., you'd think at least a decent small part of the Top Gun 2 fans would give a chance to Devotion and check it out...  But unfortunately these days it's mostly about superhero movies, sequels, etc.

Edited by wboxoffice

1 hour ago, Eric Clade said:

I mean yeah. Nobody's saying it would be a WOM sensation or whatever if the guy was straight. But like it's clear the gay stuff is hurting its appeal and we can't ignore that. Especially because, while obviously not important to the big picture, has really bad repercussions for the supposed progress we have had. And well, that's not good for me at least.

The repercussions could be devastating.

Large LGBT Groups and Organisations have placed heavy emphasis on representation and a lack of representation as a primary issue facing LGBT people. Forget the MonkeyPox scandal, the recent attacks on Marriage rights by big name political figures, Florida, and the trans debate. These orgs address LGBT issues in a way that’s palatable to the mostly straight “allies” that help bankroll and platform them. The LGBT population is low, the best way for these organisations to display “progress” for  supportive people that don’t know (or don’t know they know) any LGBT people is through increased representation in media, backed up with incredibly flawed and questionable “studies” that conclude “more gay = more money” (which these orgs pay for, of course).

We are now seeing the manifestation of GLAADs whitewashing of homophobia and anti-LGBT prejudice. They banned teachers from speaking about homosexuality in schools and established large LGBT charities skipped over the hundreds of teachers organising, legal experts on the ground and outraged families, to scream out “Where’s Disney?” It was insanity. Not only did it greatly distract from the issue, not only did it beg for private companies to influence policy that doesn’t affect them, it highlighted that there are now repercussions and that the struggle for LGBT rights is not a parade in a park, it is a fight. No other movie studio said, did, or lost anything over the Florida issue apart from Disney. That law went through and prominent LGBT news sites and organisations damn near buried the story because it demonstrated that there could now be a financial blowback for entertainment industry partners they still want to be aligned with.

When it comes to the Lightyear and Strange World (and Bros to a lesser extent), I am not saying that these films have no right to exist, but right now studios will use these films to claim that they were right all along. That having obviously LGBT characters in films aimed at children is a financial burden. I’d be shocked if there’s still overtly LGBT characters in Disney cartoons next year, let alone anything from Illumination or Dreamworks. Homophobia is REAL, it’s everywhere, and it constant. My sister cannot show Strange World to her class because of potential complaints. My daughters old after-school group won’t take the kids on their bi-monthly trip to the cinema to see this film. People I spoke with today from work, people I call good, honest, and tolerant individuals OPENLY, without consideration, without fear of repercussion, in front of lesbian and gay colleagues, stated that they would not take their kids to see any movie with LGBT characters and themes, not as some frivolous F.U to a corporation, but due to a belief that that’s “too adult” or “too personal” or “too much of an overstep”. This is just how casual these stigmas are and how normalised this thinking is.

If there’s any good that comes from this is that “supportive” straight people might finally start to understand that the accepting and pro-LGBT world presented on TV is fiction designed to play to their sensibilities, and start to realise the scale of anti-LGBT prejudice in western society. A DeSantis 2024 run will be hell on earth and begging Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny for attention won’t help. I have people I’m frightened for and get the sense that no one is listening because they they think we’re living in the oh-so tolerant world of a Netflix teen drama.

(I’m really sorry this is long but the behaviour and sugarcoating of LGBT issues by some of the major players within the community has bugged me for years and this whole Strange World business has really irked me. I forgot there was a gay character in the film until earlier today.)

• Like 10

1 minute ago, wboxoffice said:

It's a shame that a movie like Devotion didn't even get 1% of the support of Top Gun 2, just because of Tom Cruise, nostalgia, hype, etc

Scientologist, have more money to funnel into a films BO by buying out random whole cinema screenings, than Christians do.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond my dooming over adult films in general, we are starting to get at least some evidence that COVID-19 has changed how people do holidays enough to tamp down the normal boosts.

Agree completely - very muted Wednesday across the board. Do wonder if it’s a temporary effect and will recede, or perhaps is a clue/signal of where there is weakness in overall theatrical audience 

Whoever is complaining about gay content in Disney movies now still would have five, ten, or twenty years ago. Yeah, it will be a fight for better representation but despite the recent numbers it is being won. The failure of Lightyear and Strange World doesn't negate the improved representation in other kids' media. And really all panic about the future of movies only lasts until the next big hit.

• Like 1

Feel like it's time to just accept we're in for a quiet holiday season (minus Black Panther and Avatar). Almost ironic how market conditions are better than they were this time last year when COVID was still very much active yet the overall box office seems to be worse due to a lack of movies that will come close to even making what House of Gucci did, let alone Eternals or Ghostbusters or Encanto.

Avatar should hopefully be big enough on its own to keep theaters running - and it's likely the reason a lot of less big stuff steered clear. Again, the trend of the industry is still upward, and there is still a lot of COVID uncertainty. I know dooming is the popular attitude and uncertainty doesn't make for great conversation but until there's a real indication ticket buying has reached a peak you can't draw any accurate conclusions about its future.

Edited by AniNate

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond my dooming over adult films in general, we are starting to get at least some evidence that COVID-19 has changed how people do holidays enough to tamp down the normal boosts.

Yes, the holiday boost become very muted since reopening. This could mean that theater may no longer be able to charge a very high weekend/holiday premium to their ticket price.

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If Netflix didn't disclose the box office, will Comscore still include the box office as part of the aggregate weekend? If not, they will underreport the total box office. 

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like it's time to just accept we're in for a quiet holiday season (minus Black Panther and Avatar). Almost ironic how market conditions are better than they were this time last year when COVID was still very much active yet the overall box office seems to be worse due to a lack of movies that will come close to even making what House of Gucci did, let alone Eternals or Ghostbusters or Encanto.

Puss in Boots 2 should do very well... I'm also hoping that I Wanna Dance With Somebody will be a hit.

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

People I spoke with today from work, people I call good, honest, and tolerant individuals OPENLY, without consideration, without fear of repercussion, in front of lesbian and gay colleagues, stated that they would not take their kids to see any movie with LGBT characters and themes, not as some frivolous F.U to a corporation, but due to a belief that that’s “too adult” or “too personal” or “too much of an overstep”. This is just how casual these stigmas are and how normalised this thinking is.

Yup, it’s just casual homophobia. 

1 minute ago, wboxoffice said:

Puss in Boots 2 should do very well... I'm also hoping that I Wanna Dance With Somebody will be a hit.

I get the sense IWDWS is headed for a similar total to Rocketman. Hopefully. It's unpredictable out there right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

Agree completely - very muted Wednesday across the board. Do wonder if it’s a temporary effect and will recede, or perhaps is a clue/signal of where there is weakness in overall theatrical audience 

I feel like we've been seeing Wednesday business start to shift a bit towards Thanksgiving proper since COVID. The Croods 2 saw a 42% increase on Thanksgiving, and a lot of movies last year had miniscule drops from their pure Wednesdays.

Could be an indicator of more muted Wednesdays going forward, although box office wise this is a very weak Thanksgiving frame, seeing as most of the new releases are imploding.

Puss in Boots will clear 200 after all these ads on the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Shrek returning is like Tobey and Andrew returning.

I will be surprised if I Wanna Dance makes more than 100 in the current market but we'll see. Elvis had much more going for it over the summer.

Edited by WrathOfHan

57 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol i'm bad at extrapolating numbers now.  Last night I thought Strange Worlds would struggle to get a 50m 5-day but now it appears to less than half of that? lawdy

Unfortunately the thanksgiving releases just didn’t look general audience friendly.
im really not sure what went wrong with Strange World but the performances of Bones & All, Devotion, and The Fablemans are not surprising.   The only semi appealing title, Knives Out 2, is in 600 theaters and then getting pulled after the holiday to be thrown onto Netflix. 

After this weekend, it's pretty clear Wish simply isn't safe enough to be Disney's sole holiday event for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. They need a failsafe next December, and they need to date it as soon as possible. My pick would be Haunted Mansion. Delay that to December 2023. It needs all the distance from Morbius and Tiffany Haddish's red ledger it can get.

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Puss in Boots will clear 200 after all these ads on the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Shrek returning is like Tobey and Andrew returning.

I will be surprised if I Wanna Dance makes more than 100 in the current market but we'll see. Elvis had much more going for it over the summer.

I was in that camp before, but sales in Philly aren't anywhere near as strong as Sing 2, and that film did 170M. Plus with inflation and the potential recession likely locking out a ton of families, this has a major uphill battle.