Eric Loves Rey

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

I think it’s currently in the three most streamed films of the year.

edit: I’m starting to think it’s the biggest 2022 released film. I’m gonna check.

Yeah, I mean that’s pretty typical for kids films because of the rewatchability. I’m not saying it did *poorly,* just that it looks pretty normal to me given the context of being a D+ exclusive now that the service is established.  

By contrast, Encanto had AMAZING numbers despite it’s theatrical release. Now I’m not saying that Encanto is the bar — in fact I expect very few movies to do that level of nums. Just saying I would need TR a bit closer to that before considering it great.

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Is it similar to Bros though? Bros worked for those that saw it, it's just that almost nobody cared. Strange World is on the worst of both worlds, most people aren't interested but those that are also still aren't liking it.

More than about representation, it should probably tell Disney to just give up on the sci-fi animation. And, like, make better films while they're at it.

Yeah there are some similarities but they’re also a bit inverse in ways when you dig deeper down.

7 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

Feel like people should kind of ease off the bigots narrative after that B…  

like, yes, clearly there are some bigots in America. They will object to the film for bigoted reasons if they see it, and some did — but most bigots just don’t go see it! Clearly it is not working for GA either. Similar case to Bros quite recently

I disagree. The people that saw Bros knew what they were signing up for and loved it (an A Cinemascore). The people that went to see Strange World had no idea there was LGBT content and were shocked out of their seat.

TV and Media has fooled us into thinking we are in some post-homophobic paradise when clearly we are not. Casual homophobia and use of anti-LGBT rhetoric is common place. My sister is a teacher of primary school children - her school would bar this film from being casually shown to avoid any headaches (they have a google doc and everything). The idea that people would've went to see this film and walked out with their kids in anger is not something that shocks her.

As for the B Cinemascore.

• That's the worst CinemaScore in WDAS history. They've never even had a B+.
  • It's worse than any Dreamworks Animation score.
  • It's worse than any Illumination Score.
  • It's worse than any Pixar score.
  • It's worse than any Blue Sky score.
  • It's worse than any Don Bluth Animated Film
  • It's worse than Playmobil The Movie, Nut Job 2, Paws of Fury, Legends of Oz Dorothy's Return, Hoodwinked Too, Space Chimps, Space Jam, Space Jam 2, all 4 Alvin and the Chipmunks.
  • EDIT: It's worse than every Paramount/Nickelodeon Animated Movie apart from one
  • EDIT: It's worse than every Sony Pictures Animation Movie apart from one

A B Cinemascore for an animated film, let alone an Animated film from a major studio, is not a normal thing. A B Cinemascore tells me this film is a cataclysmic disaster, a historic failure, a 'worse of all time' contender - I don't believe that to be the case at all.  There's a deeper issue here and we all know it.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 14
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I disagree. The people that saw Bros knew what they were signing up for and loved it (an A Cinemascore). The people that went to see Strange World had no idea there was LGBT content and were shocked out of their seat.

TV and Media has fooled us into thinking we are in some post-homophobic paradise when clearly we are not. Casual homophobia and use of anti-LGBT rhetoric is common place. My sister is a teacher of primary school children - her school would bar this film from being casually shown to avoid any headaches (they have a google doc and everything). The idea that people would've went to see this film and walked out with their kids in anger is not something that shocks her.

As for the B Cinemascore.

• That's the worst CinemaScore in WDAS history. They've never even had a B+.
  • It's worse than any Dreamworks Animation score.
  • It's worse than any Illumination Score.
  • It's worse than any Pixar score.
  • It's worse than any Blue Sky score.
  • It's worse than any Don Bluth Animated Film
  • It's worse than Playmobil The Movie, Nut Job 2, Paws of Fury, Legends of Oz Dorothy's Return, Hoodwinked Too, Space Chimps, Space Jam, Space Jam 2, all 4 Alvin and the Chipmunks.

A B Cinemascore for an animated film, let alone an Animated film from a major studio, is not a normal thing. A B Cinemascore tells me this film is a cataclysmic disaster, a historic failure, a 'worse of all time' contender - I don't believe that to be the case at all.  There's a deeper issue here and we all know it.

I got called a homophobe here for voicing my concern about Jabookie's character causing commercial handicaps for this movie. Low and behold, I was somewhat right.

• Like 1

Shouldn't ease off the bigots. However, we can't say they're solely to blame for SW's failure.

ETA just saw BP2's numbers. VERY weak gains. The 3-day weekend may actually end up less than $40 m. :(

Happy Thanksgiving everyone btw.

Edited by jedijake

Took the kids to see Strange World yesterday afternoon (only because we couldn’t find a BPWF showing that worked time wise), … and it earned that B. It wasn’t cringe-worthy like some animated films I’ve seen, but very flat, not funny, and a story that felt like it was written by some idealistic college kids

And only 2 other people in entire auditorium (kids have been off school all week)

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, hopefully, unlike the title of the thread, everyone who celebrates has a very happy and joyous Thanksgiving weekend today.  I'll be cooking and watching football most of today, but I'm hoping to drop in here and there to say hi!

Watching World Cup for a bit before the parade starts. Can never miss that. Thanksgiving also falls on my birthday, so yay cake and presents!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Has there ever been a successful kids movie set in space?

The closest I can think of was Home which was not only inclusive but also well executed.

WALL-E. the second half. i guess they didn't sell it as a space movie.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

The closest I can think of was Home which was not only inclusive but also well executed.

Apparently this movie called Star Wars? Judging from the title, it takes place in space and I think it did pretty well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Bones and All getting a B CinemaScore is really impressive to me for some reason lol. One of the perks of playing to a limited audience that went into it knowing what to expect, I suppose.

The power of the Timmy 😎

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cf450a88f4d2705b3a

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Animated action/sci-fi has always been a tough sell unless they really leaned into the comedy ala Big Hero 6 or the Incredibles movies. Even moving beyond Disney titles, Titan A.E. was an embarrassing bomb of studio-killing proportions back around the turn of the century.

• Like 1