Eric Loves Rey

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

And deserving of all of its success. 

Pretty sure Phantom remains the longest-running show, although that's closing next year.

I will always believe the stage show is superior to the movie. Just a masterclass of design and storytelling.

4 hours ago, AJG said:

I disagree. The people that saw Bros knew what they were signing up for and loved it (an A Cinemascore). The people that went to see Strange World had no idea there was LGBT content and were shocked out of their seat.

TV and Media has fooled us into thinking we are in some post-homophobic paradise when clearly we are not. Casual homophobia and use of anti-LGBT rhetoric is common place. My sister is a teacher of primary school children - her school would bar this film from being casually shown to avoid any headaches (they have a google doc and everything). The idea that people would've went to see this film and walked out with their kids in anger is not something that shocks her.

As for the B Cinemascore.

• That's the worst CinemaScore in WDAS history. They've never even had a B+.
  • It's worse than any Dreamworks Animation score.
  • It's worse than any Illumination Score.
  • It's worse than any Pixar score.
  • It's worse than any Blue Sky score.
  • It's worse than any Don Bluth Animated Film
  • It's worse than Playmobil The Movie, Nut Job 2, Paws of Fury, Legends of Oz Dorothy's Return, Hoodwinked Too, Space Chimps, Space Jam, Space Jam 2, all 4 Alvin and the Chipmunks.
  • EDIT: It's worse than every Paramount/Nickelodeon Animated Movie apart from one
  • EDIT: It's worse than every Sony Pictures Animation Movie apart from one

A B Cinemascore for an animated film, let alone an Animated film from a major studio, is not a normal thing. A B Cinemascore tells me this film is a cataclysmic disaster, a historic failure, a 'worse of all time' contender - I don't believe that to be the case at all.  There's a deeper issue here and we all know it.

Think there's some truth in both what you and @Legion By Night are saying

Strange World has an interracial marriage, an LGBTQ flirtation, and a major plot point (that I won't spoil) which combined together makes it very progressive (one might even say hippie-ish). And that's completely fine if that's the movie one wants to make, not caring about "conservative" backlash, even if it does (unfortunately) have some limiting impact on commercial success

But also, the movie outside of that lens is ... just OK? So you get what may have been an A-/B+ CS dragged down to a B by some bigoted (over)reactions, but also not an otherwise A/A+ movie being subverted by people who just want to revel in their reactionary rage (like say Woman King, for example).

So call it a B* I suppose, but I expect legs are going to be pretty weak regardless, especially with the D+ release coming so quickly

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just watched the trailer for strange world don't think i'd seen it before. it does look lame as hell honestly. and this is the mandated cute sidekick character. what the fuck is this shit?

Blue-Splat-Sidekick-Maquette-Strange-Wor

The best character in the movie ...

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Think there's some truth in both what you and @Legion By Night are saying

Strange World has an interracial marriage, an LGBTQ flirtation, and a major plot point (that I won't spoil) which combined together makes it very progressive (one might even say hippie-ish). And that's completely fine if that's the movie one wants to make, not caring about "conservative" backlash, even if it does (unfortunately) have some limiting impact on commercial success

But also, the movie outside of that lens is ... just OK? So you get what may have been an A-/B+ CS dragged down to a B by some bigoted (over)reactions, but also not an otherwise A/A+ movie being subverted by people who just want to revel in their reactionary rage (like say Woman King, for example).

So call it a B* I suppose, but I expect legs are going to be pretty weak regardless, especially with the D+ release coming so quickly

I mean yeah. Nobody's saying it would be a WOM sensation or whatever if the guy was straight. But like it's clear the gay stuff is hurting its appeal and we can't ignore that. Especially because, while obviously not important to the big picture, has really bad repercussions for the supposed progress we have had. And well, that's not good for me at least.

• Like 3

Why is it that when a movie flops audience that it wasn't made for is always to blame? If this movie wasn't made for audience X than audience Y it was made for should be blamed for not caring.  

Nay, scratch that. never blame the audience. The movie's to blame for being unappealing to audience it was made for. It's no rocket science.

Edited by Valonqar

31 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just watched the trailer for strange world don't think i'd seen it before. it does look lame as hell honestly. and this is the mandated cute sidekick character. what the fuck is this shit?

Blue-Splat-Sidekick-Maquette-Strange-Wor

Remember the original design for the Monster Trucks monster?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why is it that when a movie flops audience that it wasn't made for is always to blame? If this movie wasn't made for audience X than audience Y it was made for should be blamed for not caring.  

Nay, scratch that. never blame the audience. The movie's to blame for being unappealing to audience it was made for. It's no rocket science.

I mean that's kinda the question... Having a gay character in a movie shouldn't be read as "made for X audience".

This is a kids movie, it's made for families. If a portion of this group is having a problem with the movie because of a gay character, it's their problem and they should be blamed because that's nonsense.

• Like 5

I think at this point you won't see this kind of review bombing for anything that's not a Disney/Pixar animated film. For whatever reason they're held up as some kind of guiding light of youth culture and every moral and political decision they make both in the real world and in their narrative work is overanalyzed to death. I think conservatives are desperate to hold onto it as their last line of influence over their kids in a world increasingly moving the other direction hence why they react so strongly when they include progressive values.

Remains to be seen what happens in the aftermath of the Chapek/Iger move, but I think despite all the fears Disney actually does care about their image and isn't going to drop all interest in promoting LGBT content just because their most recent movies bombed. In the long run it's still going to be wise to reflect the social values of the current time however many people whine about it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

I mean yeah. Nobody's saying it would be a WOM sensation or whatever if the guy was straight. But like it's clear the gay stuff is hurting its appeal and we can't ignore that. Especially because, while obviously not important to the big picture, has really bad repercussions for the supposed progress we have had. And well, that's not good for me at least.

Yeah, but it’s more than say the “backlash” for MoM keeping people away; while not preachy, it’s also not very subtle in the worldview presented, and I’m not surprised that was reflected in the CS, even among people who didn’t “boycott”

Agree that we have to have these discussions around content at all is much bigger issue 

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean that's kinda the question... Having a gay character in a movie shouldn't be read as "made for X audience".

This is a kids movie, it's made for families. If a portion of this group is having a problem with the movie because of a gay character, it's their problem and they should be blamed because that's nonsense.

or maybe they just didn't like previews regardless of sexual orientation? When a movie flops, it's always a combo of reasons rather than just 1. It's hard to imagine anyone going "this looks so good but gay character so I'll pass". most likely they just didn't like the whole package.

Edited by Valonqar

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think at this point you won't see this kind of review bombing for anything that's not a Disney/Pixar animated film. For whatever reason they're held up as some kind of guiding light of youth culture and every moral and political decision they make both in the real world and in their narrative work is overanalyzed to death. I think conservatives are desperate to hold onto it as their last line of influence over their kids in a world increasingly moving the other direction hence why they react so strongly when they include progressive values.

Remains to be seen what happens in the aftermath of the Chapek/Iger move, but I think despite all the fears Disney actually does care about their image and isn't going to drop all interest in promoting LGBT content just because their most recent movies bombed. In the long run it's still going to be wise to reflect the social values of the current time however many people whine about it.

Bingo to all of this.

It's been well-discussed how Disney has always been one of the easiest targets for these easily-triggered conservative types. None of this is new (more like a question of "when will they finally get tired after going at it for so long?")