Eric the Ape

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

-17.5% BP, normal ballpark, smidge worse if actual stays there. Right around 40 3day, right around AoU DOM. Harsh compared to past mcu thanksgiving, wknd 3 vs 4 playing some role likely.  

Awful for SW. like 11M 3day perhaps, or single digits in dramatic case.

Strange World is doing cartoonishly bad. Holy shit! It might actualy end up losing more money than John Carter in the end! :ohmygod:

Homophobia, both directly per conservative families being disgusted by the big rainbow elephant in the room and indirectly per Disney pretty much sending it out to die as a result of Lightyear bombing, is definitely playing a decent role here, let's not bury our heads in the sand about the problems with today's society, but these numbers make me think it's far from the sole factor or the primary one. Regardless, heads will unfortunately roll. If I were Jennifer Lee I'd get my golden parachute ready.

In other news that probably didn't help this weekend's movies...EVERY SINGLE streaming service is having amazing deals this weekend for annual memberships (except HBOMax, which has one for 3 months).

I almost re-upped my expiring Peacock and Paramount Plus memberships (but held off for now), and I DID bring back Hulu and Disney+ - you could combo Disney+ and Hulu+ for the year for $4.99/month.  That's kinda unbeatable, since that's the cost of 1 cheap Tuesday family outing for me (6 tickets and popcorn) for 2 separate streaming services for one year.

So, now I can catch up on some of the Marvel I've missed the last year (Eternals, I'll finally see you) and I figure I'll see how Strange World is at Christmas, which after this deal, may be what a ton of folks do.

Again, mixed messages for the releases - $15 (approx) for 1 movie ticket or get a year of movies and tv for $36 (for the Disney part)...

PS - This deal started Monday...I just waited for my old Hulu to expire, but I have a feeling other folks weren't waiting...

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Regardless, heads will unfortunately roll. If I were Jennifer Lee I'd get my golden parachute ready.

Eh, heads already rolled. I don’t think this will be much of a problem for Lee since it can kind of get swept under the Chapek era. If WDAS/Pixar weakness continues into 2023 there will be more pressure on other parts of the ecosystem I guess.

3 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

This thread has like 20 posts about homophobia in the thread and like no homophobic posts? Maybe 1-2 fairly mild ones? Did a miss a bunch of now deleted posts or something.

I think it's more people saying films are flopping for having a gay character therefore people are homophobic.

While I argue no...they just overall the story told is not very interesting to a wider audience to watch in theaters 

I am quite certain if inside out or incredbiles 2 had a gay character they would still been super hits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

I know this is kind of unrealistic but I hope Korrasami: The Movie gets an A+ and makes a gigagillion dollars

Love Is Love Animation GIF by Nickelodeon

The future we deserve.

And hopefully with all the ATLA purists getting their sequel, it'll remove some of the toxicity around Korra.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

Who gives advice to Disney to make such big budget flop movies? A good, sub-$100 million queer animated movie could have been made without much financial risk, no?

Those are the sacrifices made to box office gods in order to have their big budget hit movies be the biggest.