Eric Prime

Mickey 17 || Warner || January 31, 2025 || Directed by Bong Joon Ho - Starring Robert Pattinson

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I’m sorry but now it’s incredibly clear why they gave it the January release date. Argyle 2.0, but based on a book this time.

I don’t think this is doing that bad. Joon-ho has a lot of fans who are pretty much the reason why Parasite sustained enough momentum for over half a year and won that Oscar. If this is good, they’ll get the word out. I’d say 15 mil is the floor here. I’m thinking it does 20-ish mil OW.

Say what you want about Warner but it's the only major still risks and gives every year blockbusters try new things or are different or unexpected.

Saying that if the budget is so high it's probably another case of a movie with increased cost because of pandemic. With a 100M budget i don't think it's Crazy to make a movie like this as the first "next" movie of parasite director. Don't forget he has for obvious reasons an impressive market weight in Asia. Plus this kind of movie works very Better in digital- streaming etc...

• Like 2

Looks exactly like a sci-fi flick from the director of The HostSnowpiercer, and Okja. Not sure what WB was expecting, lol. It probably won't make back whatever nine-figure budget it has, but I could see it having a solid opening simply because the trailer does a good job pitching the novel premise, and Pattinson is an actor that almost everyone is familiar with thanks to Twilight and Batman, and from there it depends on how the movie itself is. I do think that there's a wider audience for Bong's style than people realize (I wanna say Snowpiercer was a solid hit on Netflix, which is why they financed his next movie?), it might just not be enough to break even on a blockbuster budget. But maybe the Asia n markets can save it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Why is it so silly? Majorly disappointed in this trailer. I didn't expect that comedic tone

Today I went to Wikipedia to read about the book and saw this: 

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bong-joon-ho-movie-robert-pattinson-warner-bros-1235157577/

“a unique blend of thought-provoking sci-fi concepts, farcical relationship drama and exotic body humor.”

Edited by cinema pal

Looks great and it's pretty obvious why WB got cold feet after they saw it. Feels way too silly for either awards or what people expect from a big sci-fi movie.

It's interesting how it'll perform considering the other 2 english speaking Bong didn't have a proper wide release for different reasons. I don't think they really have a chance to make back their money, but whether it 'll be a mega flop or does decent but not enough for a 100m+ budget remains to be seen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joel M said:

. I don't think they really have a chance to make back their money, but whether it 'll be a mega flop or does decent but not enough for a 100m+ budget remains to be seen.

Yeah, I'm thinking it can at least do something like 65M DOM / 90 OS, which won't make ot profitable but at the same time not a disaster.