Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

16 minutes ago, Cap said:

Terminator Live Blog:

• I am here for anything from the 1980s that thinks the world is gonna blow up in 2029. (Scary how accurate they were. Maybe the cocaine helped them see the future. 
  • Linda Hamilton getting third billing is WILD
  • Score feels like it’s gonna be a banger
  • Hello, Arnold. That entrance was pretty bad ass, but was it? 
    image.gif
  • God Arnold’s ass is outstanding. What a place to pause while I calm Judy down for bed. 

• Costuming for 80s street gangs/kids never fails to make me laaaaaaugh. Oh, no, they are wearing knock off Vivienne Westwood, they must be bad!
  • Wait. Is that Bill Paxton? AAAAH 😍😆
  • New dude is super genetic looking
  • Where is Linda Hamilton!!!!!??
  • HAAAAAIIIIBGIRL
  • Oh, yay, guns. Guns solve everything.
  • So impressive with Arnold. They are using his weakness to their advantage and letting his persona dominate. Kind of magnetic to watch.
  • damn smooth transition to that flashback. Almost thought I missed something.
  • okaybwe get it. Generic dude  has ptsd. Where is Sarah??,
  • We need to bring back 80s hair. The height. The fire hazards of that Hairspray. 
  • Like 5

I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen with avatar 2, my current range is an absolutely useless 1.3 to 2.5, and for every person who adores it theres one who really does not like it, dont think i've ever felt so lost when following a box office run, and though a coronation starting with the 2nd highest ow all time on the way to 3 billion would have been a lot of fun, I am starting to derive enjoyment, a lot of it, out of this very confusing and slightly worrying situation 

g'night

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What are normal legs for a blockbuster in December? 

While others are more confident, I think it's hard to say given the lack of data.  Maybe Aquaman's? But that had a really weird preview setup. Plus this is gonna open a hell of a lot higher than Aquaman, which automatically makes comparing legs between the two.... suspect (i.e. not useful), IMO.  I suppose Rogue One might be the best standard, but even that is squirrely simply due to the fanbase in question.

Problem is, there really haven't been all that many blockbusters in December that weren't SW/Huge Marvel sized films, which have their own 'rules' for legs.

(also depends on how one defines blockbuster, naturally)

One of the reasons this run is exciting, as it adds more data points!

(as well as giving us reasons to argue!!! :lol:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A 20 screen Regal complex near me is showing it 37 times across 11 screens on Friday. Only 4 of the 37 showtimes are in 3D, oddly. Those 4 shows are selling better than the 2D showings, though. Plenty of seats are available all day but with school still in session, Friday will be lighter than Saturday which I expect will be very busy. The 3+ hour run time will deter some repeat viewings. Perhaps Cameron should have split this up into Part I and Part II and released the back half around Memorial Day.

• Like 1

Yeah there isn't really "normal legs for Dec blockbusters." Dec so far is all like small opens, megahuge, and ancient shit. I agree that RO and Aquaman are maybe the best to look at -- would suggest the baseline is ~3.5-4x

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

While others are more confident, I think it's hard to say given the lack of data.  Maybe Aquaman's? But that had a really weird preview setup. Plus this is gonna open a hell of a lot higher than Aquaman, which automatically makes comparing legs between the two.... suspect (i.e. not useful), IMO.  I suppose Rogue One might be the best standard, but even that is squirrely simply due to the fanbase in question.

Problem is, there really haven't been all that many blockbusters in December that weren't SW/Huge Marvel sized films, which have their own 'rules' for legs.

(also depends on how one defines blockbuster, naturally)

One of the reasons this run is exciting, as it adds more data points!

(as well as giving us reasons to argue!!! :lol:)

I think Jumanji The next Level would be a good comp for legs. For reference, that had a 5.35 multiplier

47 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

What is happening overseas. Seems like it's underperforming everywhere. New era for Boxoffice for sure.

more of a legs movie than any classical blockbuster and also on Sunday only a few billion people are gonna watch that final

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I think Jumanji The next Level would be a good comp for legs. For reference, that had a 5.35 multiplier

We're swinging back to the Aquaman problem though in that I just don't like comparing something which is gonna open twice as large. 

Jumanji: The Next Level opened to 59.2m and this... Well, it's gonna be more, even if we are not in agreement on how much more.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1