Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Just now, GipJo said:

Didn't TGM show leggy sign just in the first Sunday with that nonexistent drop?

Top gun just rolled some of its OW demand onto sunday+monday due to memorial day. While excellent would not say it was showing signs of super legs just yet (though when you're getting 99% rt and A+ the writing for big legs is kind of on the wall).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

In the words of the greatest thespian of the 21st century....

"It doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning."

vin diesel GIF

You've gotta win before using quotes about winning my man ;)

21 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

2010: 9/10

Martian: 9/10

Arrival: 8.5/10

Gravity: 8.5/10

Interstellar: 8/10

2001: 3/10

Though I agree with you on the power of the narrative that 2001 has, I didn't really feel that power when actually watching the film. 

Tbf 2001 was an idea/concept driven film. Characters were ehh and the HAL plotline dragged Abit for me.

So kind of understand why it really doesn't work for some . It's a hard movie to digest and doesn't do any hand holding whatsoever. That will make or break the film for many.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Tbf 2001 was an idea/concept driven film. Characters were ehh and the HAL plotline dragged Abit for me.

So kind of understand why it really doesn't work for some . It's a hard movie to digest and doesn't do any hand holding whatsoever. That will make or break the film for many.

Wasn't necessarily an issue of lack of explanation as I understood the narrative having read the book beforehand. But yeah the pacing and characters were the issues for me, just couldn't really care about what was happening or even be really intrigued. 

Though the HAL plotline is the one part of the film that works well for me. Lots of intrigue and tension there. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

Correct me if I am wrong....if Saturday number is $44M, isn't that an extremely positive sign for long run ? It would be 22% growth over True Friday. TGM which had comparable preview number had 19% growth. Whereas among MCU movies which were lot more frontloaded, DS2 had 7% growth, BPWF was almost flat

No it doesn't really matter. Correlation between sat/fri and total/ow is pretty mild -- especially conditioned on the previously known info

25 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Do other countries have convenient way to track box office? China has Maoyan and Taopiaopiao, you can track every detail of box office anytime on there.

the maoyan webite is super buggy and keeps crashing for me. Is it like this for anyone else? The dashboard used to be better before now its borderline unusable

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Once again want to state that the only reason the kind of discussion is happening now over a movie that's opening to over 100m domestic, locked for a billion ww and probably much higher, and is looking incredibly likely to pass 500 million dom is the insane overhype lol. Subtract that and this'd be discussed as a genuinely very good result.

Ehhhhh, I mean, the insane overhype didn't help. But it doesn't exist in a vacuum either. As a sequel the most natural reference point is always going to be the direct predecessor which would be coloring the numbers even if no one said a single thing about 2B+ in the past 13 years

1 hour ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

That's not how that works, so no. 

Mostly agree... but at xmas specifically i think this may be a little how it works? There is some background level of just people seeing things for the holidays and the business will shift around between offerings rather than totally dissappearing couchwards

• Like 1