Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 hour ago, Flamengo81 said:

Honest opinion that my fellow americans on this forum will probably disagree with: Star Wars is not very good. It only has 1 really great movie that is The Empire Strikes Back and a few good movies (A New Hope, Revenge of The Siths and Rogue One ?). But the series as a whole is not good and have a decent number of really bad movies.

Star Wars are among the most iconic movies ever made and they're among the most successful sci-fi franchises ever made.

The Original Trilogy has a great deal of classic lines and moments. For example, I love Jabba's scenes in Return of the Jedi and Vader's redemption even though the Ewoks are kinda of silly. And despite the prequels being kind of goofy they're a meme goldmine.

The Sequel Trilogy dropped the ball big time but it did successfully expand the mythos somewhat.

Overall Star Wars is easily a top 5 movie franchise simply for cultural impact and how memorable the characters have been. Even though recent misteps have dampened its legacy a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Star Wars are among the most iconic movies ever made and they're among the most successful sci-fi franchises ever made.

The Original Trilogy has a great deal of classic lines and moments. For example, I love Jabba's scenes in Return of the Jedi and Vader's redemption even though the Ewoks are kinda of silly. And despite the prequels being kind of goofy they're a meme goldmine.

The Sequel Trilogy dropped the ball big time but it did successfully expand the mythos somewhat.

Overall Star Wars is easily a top 5 movie franchise simply for cultural impact and how memorable the characters have been. Even though recent misteps have dampened its legacy a bit.

I’d argue Top 2. It’s Marvel, Star Wars and I’d argue Avatar, but there is a good argument to be made for either Batman or 007.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

175 pages is right around the corner.

Top 5 Star Wars movies...

Rogue One

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Solo (I'm a weirdo)

A New Hope 

Actually, I think we are good here. I do believe @Kalo had a thread JUST for this 😘

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

There is a whole generation that grew up with the PT and love it even more than the OT. We might not acknowledge them but they grew up, they are out there and I’d argue that the rehabilitation wasn’t really through wasn’t through memes, but through the passing of time. 

What most Star Wars fans don’t like to acknowledge and that George Lucas has so eloquently explained throughout the years is that Star Wars isn’t sci-fi. It’s a fairy tale with sci-fi elements. It’s a very much straight forward story of good versus evil, and I’m glad that that’s’ the case. I don’t need whatever Star Wars fanboys fantasize about "a film through the lens of the Empire" and yadda yadda. The Empire is fascist and irredeemable, they are the space nazis. There is no maturing of Star Wars, neither it should have. There is a lot you can do with Star Wars and it’s universe, with a lot of flavors and shades of gray. But at the end of the day it’s still a space fairy tale. We have Marvel, Avatar and an infinite amount of sci-fi films and franchises to give us actual sci-fi. 

Star Wars influence might one day fade, but I do think they are doing a fine job presenting new characters for the new generation. The resistence that every new trilogy has from the ‘true Star Wars fans’ will happen again and again, but I hope that Lucasfilm keeps what Lucas envisioned for the franchise alive.

Star Wars won’t fade, it’s too engrained in American pop culture. Vader, Luke Skywalker and Yoda alone (not even counting Leia and Solo and others who are heavy heavy hitters) are way too iconic. Even while holiday shopping I’m seeing damn baby Yoda everywhere. Don’t see how it fades in any phase if I’m begin honest, especially now that nerd culture is mainstream (ironically due to comic book movie successes over the last 20 years). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jaybox said:

Star Wars won’t fade, it’s too engrained in American pop culture. Vader, Luke Skywalker and Yoda alone (not even counting Leia and Solo and others who are heavy heavy hitters) are way too iconic. Even while holiday shopping I’m seeing damn baby Yoda everywhere. Don’t see how it fades in any phase if I’m begin honest, especially now that nerd culture is mainstream (ironically due to comic book movie successes over the last 20 years). 

I agree with you. My point is that we are in the verge of seeing Star Wars actually having new legends. Rey will be our new  Luke, she will get a new film or sequels will be made with her as the lead. What hurts Star Wars fans the most is that the franchise is moving on and isn’t what they wanted. So some say they should just drop Rey and the ST. There is absolute no way that happens. When I say that Star Wars might fade, isn’t what I think, it’s what the naysayers think and use as argument to say that "DISNEY AND LUCASFILM KILLED STAR WARS, CURSE YOU KENNEDY" bs.

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

175 pages is right around the corner.

Top 5 Star Wars movies...

Rogue One

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Solo (I'm a weirdo)

A New Hope 

That's not how it is done

Top 5 star wars movies

1. The Last Jedi

2. The Force Awakens