Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Didn't Aquaman manage just under a 5x multiplier? It won't be as high as some hoped but it won't go nearly as low as some will say after this opening weekend.

Aquaman opened to about half of what Avatar's going to make though, not exactly apples to apples.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

People still using that one huh

It’s 100% true cause I’m a prime example of that. I saw movies literally weekly before covid but because of a health condition and the fact I don’t enjoy wearing my mask in a theatre I don’t go nearly as much. 

I literally just bought a $5000 TV so I can have a better system at home to enjoy movies with. 

I know I’m not in the majority but I also work in the restaurant industry and we’re not even close to where we were before covid with people dining in as well. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Seeing this trail behind Black Panther 2 by a large margin in the US is pretty funny, because here in Turkey the former's opening day ended up bigger in admissions than the entire opening weekend of the latter.

Lol here in Vietnam TWOW's opening weekend eclipsed BPWF entire run (and the orginal Avatar run too).

• Like 1

It will underperform in a lot of markets and maybe it will barely make $1.5b Dom + Overseas - C .  China and its huge undeperformance there due to unique external factors that Avatar was very unlucky to release just as they have they're in their absolute worst are brought up because the undeperformance everywhere else would have have mattered less if it made $500m in China instead of $200m

Just now, BluKyberCrystal said:

I read some stuff about how different parts of the country look for different things in flicks. How true is that?

Absolutely true

India is such a diverse country that every 50 miles, you'll see change in language, tradition, dialects, culture.

For example Original Avatar was a huge hit in South India so Avatar 2 Opening day in South India has actually beaten Endgame.

On other hand, the north is where Original Avatar was lesaer, so Opening of Avatar 2 in North is less than likes of Infinity War, NWH, Dr Strange 2.

Plus North has less cinema going culture, so it takes something extra to draw them out, compared to south where cinema going is basically part of people's lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, adaros said:

It's funny because 2 days ago I was reading some other Indian user comment that movie is boring and not enough action in it to be success in India. I'm surprised by great OD now.

Some of the highest grossing Indian movies are mostly romantic dramas. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

COVID hesitancy is a thing unless it gets in the way of something people really want, Spider-Man etc

y'all brought it up

Well COVID hesitancy is a thing to me and I’m a hardcore movie goer Marvel / DC nerd. Back in 2019, I went to watch Endgame at the movie theater more than 20 times. Since the pandemic started this didn’t happen one single time, not even with No Way Home, one of my favorite superhero films. I pick and choose what I watch at movie theaters since COVID, while back then I’d go with me friends for anything and multiple times. If I’m one of the most hardcore Marvel nerds out there and I’m not going for repeat viewings out of risk assessment, imagine the average moviegoer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

I read some stuff about how different parts of the country look for different things in flicks. How true is that?

Very true. South is mostly persona based films. People worship actors there. They love the style and charisma. Although nowdays other genres are also blossoming there. North used to love masala movie (romance + action ) but after covid people aren't going to theatres frequently 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nero said:

Some of the highest grossing Indian movies are mostly romantic dramas. 

All Biggest Movies in Indian Cinema history

Whether Action, Romantic, Family Drama or whatever.

Almost All have strong emotional core, you can have your fighting, your comedy, your romance, your song and dance, but strong emotions is what give your movie a historic run.